Ask Gaming Questions and Industry Expert Will Answer

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Ask Gaming Questions and Industry Expert Will Answer

Top Tech Expert is a new video series that will answer The Escapist community's questions about the industry.

Which company "won" the seventh generation of consoles? Why did Netflix raise its prices? Should you be concerned about privacy concerns when using Google + or any other social media? Was it a good move for EA to buy PopCap for $850k in cash and stock options? If you have wondered about the answers to any of these questions, then we have the show for you.

Scott Steinberg is a respected expert on topics like the gaming industry, consumer products, computers, electronics, and software whose opinions have appeared in publications like Playboy, The New York Times, USA Today, and Rolling Stone. Now, Steinberg will be giving his keen insight in a new video series on The Escapist called Top Tech Expert.

Here's where you come in: Scott needs your questions to answer on the show when it starts later this month. The best way to send in your pressing questions about the state of the industry is to email Scott at is info "@" gametheoryonline dot com. (Damn you spambots for making me do that!)

Or you can head over to Steinberg's website Top Tech Expert [http://www.toptechexpert.com/] and follow the contact link there.

Where do you see the industry in five years? When will Microsoft or Sony announce their next generation consoles? Is 3D a big dumb fad? Ask Scott Steinberg by emailing the address above and you'll find out.

Keep your eyes peeled for the debut of Top Tech Expert this month at The Escapist.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
"Top Tech Expert is a new video series that will answer The Escapist community's questions about the industry."

Err... Hmm. This seems to be an interesting decision after recent pieces of information have to come light.

Anyway, could be some interesting insights as long as he's not snorting whatever it is Michael Pachter takes with his cornflakes.

pppppppppppppppppp

Jun 23, 2011
Hm, I could see this working. I like being able to contribute to the shows I watch.

Thinking of a good question to email as we speak.

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
Sounds like a good idea, see how it plays out. Only thing that kinda baffled me about this article was that playboy had software articles.

Also this will sound dumb but could someone make out the e-mail for me? Couldn't find it on his site and the antispam bot e-mail went over my head ._.

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
I am gonna ask 'If the games industry is in so much trouble, why is everyone suing each other?'

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
Didn't we just lose a video series where we asked various questions about the industry that we were curious about? This seems pretty cold to instantly replace them like that.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Hrmmmmmmm, sounds like an interesting video series, but I have to wonder if The Escapist is in any position to support yet another video series, especially considering, *ahem*, recent findings? Regardless I'll send one or two questions along his way, could be an interesting series.

Der Moosealini

Aug 15, 2011
Out of curiosity where do you see the industry heading with regards to broader expansion into the female gamer market? Women make up half of the species, have available capital as well as contribute towards influencing future game consumers. Could it not be considered a reasonable investment opportunity to actively integrate the preferences that more accurately reflect the diversity of the consumers themselves?

pppppppppppppppppp

Jun 23, 2011
SilverUchiha said:
Didn't we just lose a video series where we asked various questions about the industry that we were curious about? This seems pretty cold to instantly replace them like that.
Sounds like it'll be a bit different. This show seems like it'll be more based on user feedback, and I bet it'll use video rather than a slideshow like EC or ZP.

I don't see it as cold though. When your employee quits or is fired, you find someone to replace him. I think there will be plenty of room for both this show and EC.

intheweeds

Apr 6, 2011
qwerty19411 said:
kebab4you said:
Sounds like a good idea, see how it plays out. Only thing that kinda baffled me about this article was that playboy had software articles.

Also this will sound dumb but could someone make out the e-mail for me? Couldn't find it on his site and the antispam bot e-mail went over my head ._.
-also redacted-

At least that's what I think it is according to the contact us on the website [http://www.toptechexpert.com/]
way to wreck the whole 'anti-spambot' thing. Stay tuned for the new email address to replace the spam-flooded one you just made. :)

intheweeds

Apr 6, 2011
qwerty19411 said:
intheweeds said:
qwerty19411 said:
kebab4you said:

-REDACTED-

At least that's what I think it is according to the contact us on the website [http://www.toptechexpert.com/]
way to wreck the whole 'anti-spambot' thing. Stay tuned for the new email address to replace the spam-flooded one you just made. :)
To be honest, this is the first time I've heard spambots checking forum posts. I've always associated spambots with posting, not reading. But I've changed my original post, along with the quote.

Also, when you quote my post, and complain about the email being used without editing it, you're not exactly helping. I'd also insert something not nice about you, those damn emoticons always send mixed messages.
The not nice emote was not needed, nor was the comment about adding one if you weren't going to. I'm sorry you took offense. I only pull out the smiley face when i'm trying to explicitly state that i am being friendly. I didn't change my post cause i figured what was done was done. I'll change it now.

intheweeds

Apr 6, 2011
qwerty19411 said:
intheweeds said:
qwerty19411 said:
intheweeds said:
qwerty19411 said:
kebab4you said:

-REDACTED-

To be honest, this is the first time I've heard spambots checking forum posts. I've always associated spambots with posting, not reading. But I've changed my original post, along with the quote.

Also, when you quote my post, and complain about the email being used without editing it, you're not exactly helping. I'd also insert something not nice about you, those damn emoticons always send mixed messages.
The not nice emote was not needed, nor was the comment about adding one if you weren't going to. I'm sorry you took offense. I only pull out the smiley face when i'm trying to explicitly state that i am being friendly. I didn't change my post cause i figured what was done was done. I'll change it now.
I checked google cache, and there wasn't a page made yet for this story's forum posts so no damage done hopefully.

And the misreading of the intent was a mistake on my part. My apologies.
Ah! Breath of fresh air! It's always nice when a small silly internet misunderstanding doesn't evolve into a flame war. I wish you a very good day with absolutely no sarcasm!

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
I'm reserving this spot for the moment I think up a decent question. I think if i wait till ?I have one by the time I come back this thread will be seven pages long.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Sounds a lot like another show by another gaming site that I won't mention. Still, always nice to have a second opinion, and I have a question, but I'd like to wait and post it in the comments for his first video, I want to check out the show first to see if it relates.

VileTerror

Dec 22, 2010
I'm worried that this series will have a decidedly corporate and economical bent to it. I feel the poor decisions of corporations in the gaming industry are well-defended enough as-is, and there is already a substantial number of writers and reporters who fixate on such themes.
Of course, one can't judge a book by the cover (even when that cover has a little, but very detailed and accurate synopsis printed on it). Let's see what mister Steinberg has to offer.

Hitman Dread

Mar 9, 2011
VileTerror said:
I'm worried that this series will have a decidedly corporate and economical bent to it. I feel the poor decisions of corporations in the gaming industry are well-defended enough as-is, and there is already a substantial number of writers and reporters who fixate on such themes.
Of course, one can't judge a book by the cover (even when that cover has a little, but very detailed and accurate synopsis printed on it). Let's see what mister Steinberg has to offer.
Considering how vastly uneducated people are about the process, and much of internet rage stems from this lack of knowing, there clearly isn't enough of that kind of journalism going around. People don't even get basic concepts like more development time = more cost. There's still a lot of ground that needs to be made in teaching the general public about this sort of thing.

VileTerror

Dec 22, 2010
If there were more articles which were actually educating consumers about the business of game development, I'd be happier. If that's what mister Steinberg is going to provide, then all the more power to him!
What I fear, however, is that it will just be yet another cheerful apology for "We ask you to bend over and take it up the [Redacted], because we love you(r money)!"