Ask Gaming Questions and Industry Expert Will Answer

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
SilverUchiha said:
Didn't we just lose a video series where we asked various questions about the industry that we were curious about? This seems pretty cold to instantly replace them like that.
It is entirely frosty.

jamesbrown

Apr 18, 2011
Interseting, though if it was between this and slipping it under the radar, I perfer this. Like when your super awesome goldfish gets too big for your tank so you give it to your parents which has a nice roomy tank; sure it won't be the same, but the fish is happy. So you go the fish store and find the coolest tropical fish; and put it into it's new home.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Wow, too soon for a replacement. I wonder how his payment schedule will work?

Also, seriously?

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
So after establishing that this pattern of "new show-> hope it becomes a hit-> then worry about paying content creators" doesn't work and isn't economically viable (because there probably just isn't another ZP hiding out there), we have ANOTHER new show?

Obvious similarities (at least in how the program is being marketed) to a certain other show that just left the escapist don't help public perception either.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
doggie015 said:
I hope this guy likes working for free because that is what he probably will have to do on this site. Escapist: When a show goes; do NOT worry about replacing them as you WILL NOT be able to afford it! You would have to drop shows like The Jimquisition and Drinking Games just to make ends meet!
Archon (Alexander Macris) has already addressed this. If you give a damn about facts versus wild antagonistic assertions (that are false), go look it up.

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
kebab4you said:
Sounds like a good idea, see how it plays out. Only thing that kinda baffled me about this article was that playboy had software articles.
havent you played Playboy: The Mansion??

its like the sims, but the job you have is to make a magazine, with cover, centerfold, an interview and articles about several things (be it tec, games, politics etc etc etc)

it was quite good

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playboy:_The_Mansion

Stall

Apr 16, 2011
Is this just going to be another pathetic pander-fest, where the "expert" answers questions in the exact way the majority of this community wants them to be answered, so this community can then in turn feel justified about their opinion?

Wonderful. I can't fucking wait.

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
I don't think this is replacing Extra Credits, it's just a new show, the Escapist gets a few of those this one just came a ta bad time, in fact it was probably planed before Extra Credits even lift, and yes the site has a few bills to pay so it may seem weird to hire new people but the shows are part of the sites product they are used to bring more people to the so the site gets more money. Plus if this guy is on the new contract, which pays them by giving them a portion of the ad revenue then he wont end up in the same situation as current contributors.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
another video series? Ok, seriously, I know its important for The Escapist to have content and stuff to keep revenues coming in, but considering the recent fiasco with Extra Credits and how its been revealed that financial stress means that you guys can't even pay your current contributors, is this really the time to be expanding the website's content?

edit: while I don't really think The Escapist should have hired a new person during these times of financial woes, I submitted a question nonetheless. Considering the nature of the question it will probably never be allowed on the show, but I felt it necessary to ask it nonetheless; its a bit of a test of my own, I guess, to see how much The Escapist will allow criticism against itself to go ahead (an attribute which I personally think is important; this site, as fantastic as it is, has never been very transparent about itself...)

silent-treatment

Oct 15, 2009
Ill give the guy a shot, I just hope that someone tells the poor guy about the shit storm that is going to come his way once he premiers. How long did it take for everyone to stop flaming Jim? This one will be worse given how similar it is to EC, and how soon it was announced after "the Incident". Hope he isn't a tool.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
Yeah, I hope people can see sense and realise, whatever happened with EC, it's certainly not this guy's fault, and he deserves a fair shot, same as any new show - hah, like the first few shows' comment sections aren't usually full of people bitching, but hey, good luck anyway !

If Dr Who gets cancelled and a gardening show is put on in that slow, you can't blame the gardening show.

Lithorien

Mar 16, 2010
Cool. A poor Extra Credits knock-off that The Escapist most likely won't be able to pay, who won't have nearly as engaging as topics and will most likely be a corporate mouthpiece. Sounds like fun!

PrototypeC

Apr 19, 2009
I am certainly not happy about EC being replaced. That does NOT mean that Scott Steinberg has anything to do with it, and it does NOT mean that I'm not going to give him a fair shake. After all, his credentials alone make a good impression on me. It sounds like a more direct show that lets us know the monetary side of making games; the elephant in the room everyone is either payed not to talk about or don't have the experience to speak on. Now can you imagine if his very first video on this new site with a great community is just bullied non-stop by folks who liked the old Doctor better?

That said, it would have been quite prudent for the Escapist to wait a little longer to announce this show. You know, waiting until the fires die down?

CorvusFerreum

Jun 13, 2011
I'll give him a shot.
I'm not sure this is a replacement for EC, but it still seems in bad taste somehow. Anyway: nice to have a show on the escapist again that gives perspective from the industry.