Ask Questions, Give Answers.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
Q: Is there a possibility the new X-Com 2 to be connected story wise with "The Bureau" game?

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
SweetShark said:
Q:
Can someone suggest to me a Cyberpunk RPG I can play EXCEPT Shadowrun games?

EDIT:
I already had a suggestion to play Deus Ex, so I need something else as well.
No Shadowrun, eh? Hmmm... Alright, let's see if you've ever tackled these, then...

You ever try to hunt down any of the classics, like Snatcher?

Do you have any interest in Xenogears and/or Xenosaga?

Have you ever looked into the Phantasy Star saga (classic or modern), or Star Ocean games?

Do you play any Fallout games or Metro 2033?

Have you ever heard of Strife, a pre-Quake first-person game that is a shooter with RPG elements that was obscure because Quake came out several months after its inception?

And finally, I feel I should promote the .hack games (classic ones, GU, and LINK) for creating this massive phenomenon which stretched over games, anime, manga, and books regarding the fictional massive multiplayer game known simply as The World.

SweetShark

Jan 9, 2012
FalloutJack said:
SweetShark said:
Q:
Can someone suggest to me a Cyberpunk RPG I can play EXCEPT Shadowrun games?

EDIT:
I already had a suggestion to play Deus Ex, so I need something else as well.
No Shadowrun, eh? Hmmm... Alright, let's see if you've ever tackled these, then...

You ever try to hunt down any of the classics, like Snatcher?

Do you have any interest in Xenogears and/or Xenosaga?

Have you ever looked into the Phantasy Star saga (classic or modern), or Star Ocean games?

Do you play any Fallout games or Metro 2033?

Have you ever heard of Strife, a pre-Quake first-person game that is a shooter with RPG elements that was obscure because Quake came out several months after its inception?

And finally, I feel I should promote the .hack games (classic ones, GU, and LINK) for creating this massive phenomenon which stretched over games, anime, manga, and books regarding the fictional massive multiplayer game known simply as The World.
Ok, Lets see:

- Snatcher is in my plans, However I want a more pure RPG.
- Phantasy Star and Star Ocean aren't my cup of tea.
- I have plans to start playing the first original Fallout games, but I don't think I can see them as Cyberpunks.
- Metro it is similar with Fallout.
- Now this is funny, because if you search you can find a old game with the name Strife as well, but it is a Comic Theme Cyberpunk like game. And Also we have the new Strife which become reality cause of Kickstarter.
- .hack is more enjoyable for Deckers, not for me sadly.

SweetShark

Jan 9, 2012
Aelinsaar said:
Have any of you guys/gals played actual P&P Shadowrun? D&D? I haven't for a loooong time, but I think Shadowrun was my favorite to actually play. I don't really have the time for it alongside work, life, and hobbies, but I was thrilled to see such a faithful Shadowrun game come out.
Nope really. I learned at first about ShadowRun Universe from the Reviewer Spoony One. His story hooked me up to hear more stories for him. I miss him I must admit.....

Also I played only the first recent RPG ShadowRun.

SweetShark

Jan 9, 2012
Aelinsaar said:
SweetShark said:
Aelinsaar said:
Have any of you guys/gals played actual P&P Shadowrun? D&D? I haven't for a loooong time, but I think Shadowrun was my favorite to actually play. I don't really have the time for it alongside work, life, and hobbies, but I was thrilled to see such a faithful Shadowrun game come out.
Nope really. I learned at first about ShadowRun Universe from the Reviewer Spoony One. His story hooked me up to hear more stories for him. I miss him I must admit.....

I thought that might be the case. It's kind of awesome to see a game I played on paper with pals as a kid has come this far.
Do you have an interesting story to share? I really love the stories I watched from Spoony and some others comment I saw.

SweetShark

Jan 9, 2012
Lilani said:
SweetShark said:
Q:What shall I play next?
Unrest, Beyond Good and Evil, Invisible Apartment Zero or Narcissu 1st & 2nd.
I haven't played any of these, so depending on how you look at it I'm either the most impartial or most useless judge you can get on this, but to me Invisible Apartment Zero sounds the most interesting.

Q: Should I try to go to Indie Popcon in June? It's the closest convention that will probably get to me that will have Markiplier, Jacksepticeye, and all of those people, but I may or may not be losing my job in the next couple of months[footnote]Long story short, technically my position is temporary, but I've almost had it for two years now as they haven't found someone qualified enough to take it full time. They're looking for someone with ~10 years more experience than me, and I haven't been able to get that much experience in two years. A prospective candidate has emerged and they'll be looking into the position, but nothing's final yet and they've made no offer.[/footnote] and I'm going to start planning a wedding soon so the cost of tickets, room and board for the weekend, plus the ~6 hour drive there one way isn't exactly a small investment. I would bring my fiance as well, but only if he could come and was interested. Pragmatically, what is the wisest choice? This is really feeling like an "I need an adult" moment for me, lol.
Btw, just for your information, I played in the end "Beyond Good and Evil."
IS F*CKING AWESOME!!!! You should play it yourself as well.

SweetShark

Jan 9, 2012
Aelinsaar said:
SweetShark said:
Aelinsaar said:
SweetShark said:
Aelinsaar said:

I thought that might be the case. It's kind of awesome to see a game I played on paper with pals as a kid has come this far.
Do you have an interesting story to share? I really love the stories I watched from Spoony and some others comment I saw.
I don't think I have any great stories that aren't just nerdy stories about some campaigns we ran. Although... in High school I boarded, so we all lived together and had tons of free time when we couldn't go out or do anything outside of the dorm. So, we decided to run some Evil D&D and Shadowrun campaigns... we'd be the bad guys, fighting the good guys. It's actually tough to manage, and I... well... I was young and stupidly decided to be the equivalent of a raging psychopath.

So, my friends have these dialed-in "Supreme Evil Overlord" types to roleplay, and I'm quickly realizing that I'm forced to make TERRIBLE and self-destructive decisions because of the way I've written my character. My friend's chars are all losing patience with my guy's shit, so they have a private meeting with our GM for 10 minutes and the next in-game "morning" arrives.

My character, I am told, is dead. He has been mysteriously flayed alive, cut into chunks, burned, and then the skin draped over the ashes.

So yeah... I re-rolled a more useful character, but it was a good lesson about the nature of Chaotic Evil.
It could be more cooler if a part of the campaign was design for your death of your character. Not just a few lines exposition for his death....
For example maybe you were acting all along an you were with the good guys all along and you were something like a Boss character.
Or even better, You are only one of the many Clones of an Army of Raging Psychopaths.
Or EVEN BETTER, BE AN DOPPELGANGER CREATED TO MESS WITH THE MAIN TEAM AND MAKE THEM TO ACCEPT A DEAL THEY SHOULD ORIGINALLY ACCEPT!!!!!!
Sorry, my imagination get wild.

IndianaJonny

Mysteron Display Team
Jan 6, 2011
SweetShark said:
Q: Is there a possibility the new X-Com 2 to be connected story wise with "The Bureau" game?
Too early to tell, but it will be interesting to see if they've made any mechanical (as well as narrative) tweaks based off feedback from The Bureau. Am trying to wrack my brain to remember if any X-COM:EU DLC came out after the release of The Bureau...

If you're looking for your narrative fix of secretly combating the 'greys' across the 20th and early-21st century, I'd check out the tie-in fiction for the Delta Green RPG universe, it's pretty good.

Sep 13, 2009
EvilRoy said:
Q: Is it possible to jury-rig an air conditioner out of a humidifier, a fan and a block of ice? I've been working at this idea for a little while, because it isn't worth buying one for the 20 days a year I would use one, but I haven't been able to produce a consistent cold breeze yet.
I'm not sure of the details because I only heard of it offhandedly from a friend in engineering, but hanging a wet towel behind a fan is supposed to be quite effective if you live in a dry climate. This video is the closest I can find of it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePqIw-DzVyc

Q: I've been looking for papers on nonscripted behavior for models for interacting with their environment. Specific examples being stuff like picking up objects, walking, responding to outside stimuli (Obstacles and forces acting on the model), and stuff like that.

This is kind of what I was looking for

But evolutionary algorithms aren't exactly what I'm interested in, I want something more in the vein of inverse kinematics.

SweetShark

Jan 9, 2012
IndianaJonny said:
SweetShark said:
Too early to tell, but it will be interesting to see if they've made any mechanical (as well as narrative) tweaks based off feedback from The Bureau. Am trying to wrack my brain to remember if any X-COM:EU DLC came out after the release of The Bureau...

If you're looking for your narrative fix of secretly combating the 'greys' across the 20th and early-21st century, I'd check out the tie-in fiction for the Delta Green RPG universe, it's pretty good.
Nah, I still prefer the classic "Destroy all humans" more.
But with all seriousness, I checked quickly the suggestion and I notice it take heavily inspiration from Lovecraft's Lore.
How the Aliens are connected with the Lovecraft's Monsters?

SweetShark

Jan 9, 2012
Q:
It would be better for me to play the first Fallout games before starting playing Fallout 4?
I will admit when I saw the Noir influence in the trailer, it make me a little hopeful I will like it.
Then I think to myself the Bugs.......the Bugs that make the game work like sh*t sadly...

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
EvilRoy said:
Q: Is it possible to jury-rig an air conditioner out of a humidifier, a fan and a block of ice? I've been working at this idea for a little while, because it isn't worth buying one for the 20 days a year I would use one, but I haven't been able to produce a consistent cold breeze yet.

Captcha: I am fine

We need more captcha like that. Feels nice to type out.

I don't think you need to ruin your humidifier to make an air conditioner.

I like this video because it looks easy, uses water instead of ice, and is of such a basic design that it looks like it could be improved into a solid, portable unit. It also looks like it could cool more than a single room.
Evaporative Cooler

The drawback in this design is that it moves a lot of water, so much that I think you would run out of it in just a few hours or so. I think he needs to cut back on the water flow. Also, the use of metal wire is a mistake I think. Even galvanized chicken wire is of such a poor quality that it will rust at spots of poor coverage. I would prefer to have a design that uses something like plastic and can be taken apart to be cleaned. Perhaps adding a mild germicide would be helpful in the long term as well.

There's also this design which is much smaller but it won't move as much air as the first one. This is by the same guy:
Smaller Cooler
There are a great deal of videos on YouTube, almost all of which are for designs that are very different. I dislike the ones that use ice though, because I can't think of many convenient places to go buy a giant block of ice.

SweetShark

Jan 9, 2012
Q: Who still remember there is a MLP like Fighting Game at work:

I still remember, that why I need to remind this to you as well.

SweetShark

Jan 9, 2012
Q: Who else think in the X-Com 2 Trailer, The Aliens act like the Combines from Half-Life 2?

Q: Who else think in the new Halo game you will fight mostly Humans and Prometheans? The reason of the Dark secret the Goverment of the Human Race had about the Super Soldier Cover Program.

L. Declis

Apr 19, 2012
SweetShark said:
I remember it had some legal issues and I gave it up as dead, and now I have stopped liking MLP due to the fanbase.

SweetShark said:
Q:
It would be better for me to play the first Fallout games before starting playing Fallout 4?
I will admit when I saw the Noir influence in the trailer, it make me a little hopeful I will like it.
Then I think to myself the Bugs.......the Bugs that make the game work like sh*t sadly...
My advice would be to play Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas. Not because you need to, but because they're decent games and if you don't like them, you saved £40 on buying Fallout 4; nearby Steam Sale will let you get them for pennies. But no, you don't need to.

Bugs are always part of a Bethesda game, but for some reason, Bethesda always gets a pass on them. Another reason to play the older games; someone will have modded a patch to make it stable(-er).

SweetShark said:
Possible? Yes. Likely? No.

FPLOON said:
L. Declis said:
SNIP!

No.

Instead, watch a good movie, and then discuss the morality of it. Not even Christian morality. But pick a good film with an interesting premise to discuss. If you can find a film where right and wrong are very hard to define, the better the discussion will be.

Hell, pick a documentary about a social issue, and then ask them how they believe the problem should be sorted.
Follow-Up Question: Do you have any movie suggestions that could fit any of the criteria given in the answer of the original question?
About religion in particular, or general morality?

In religion, there is the film "Deliver Us from Evil", which is interesting.

Regarding general morality, there is the Kite Runner, Malcolm X (Spike Lee's), In the Name of Our Father (about the Birmingham 6), Kramer Vs. Kramer, every single Shakespeare production ever (a personal favourite is the Merchant of Venice)

SweetShark

Jan 9, 2012
L. Declis said:
SweetShark said:
I remember it had some legal issues and I gave it up as dead, and now I have stopped liking MLP due to the fanbase.
It is no anymore a MLP game. It is an Original IP, but as you can see they still have the same artist from MLP recent series.
And as far I know they will do a Kickstart......oh my god, this will open Hell Battlefields for discussions.

IndianaJonny

Mysteron Display Team
Jan 6, 2011
SweetShark said:
Nah, I still prefer the classic "Destroy all humans" more.
But with all seriousness, I checked quickly the suggestion and I notice it take heavily inspiration from Lovecraft's Lore.
How the Aliens are connected with the Lovecraft's Monsters?
Simply put, both 'terrestrial' and 'extraterrestrial' creatures inhabit the Delta Green universe.

It starts off with the growing number of encounters between humanity and the other creatures inhabiting the Earth, a task force (Delta Green) gets assembled who deal with these terrestrial threats. Then the aliens show up and the old task force (now composed of grizzled, hardy and paranoid veterans) gets shunned and gradually exterminated by those who would try to use the aliens/alien contact for their own ends - little knowing that the aliens have plans of their own...

The whole action is all hush-hush, cloak-and-dagger kind of stuff. Imagine a group of grizzled, disturbed Vietnam-War veterans fighting in the shadows against (and not necessarily winning) all the impossible horrors the Universe can throw at them, trying to save an ungrateful, hostile humanity...and you're someway there.

But if it's 'Destroy All Humans' of the classical frame that you're after, well there's always this old chestnut: