Asking for Help

Elesar

Apr 16, 2009
I really don't like asking for help like this, but I promised I'd try all the forums I visit regularly (although I doubt if anyone remembers when I used to do User Reviews here...I probably should have mentioned it here when I moved them to my own blog...oh well.) Anyway, onto the basics:

So, how many of you are familiar with idea of a movie that's so bad it's good? Most of you I bet. Well how many of you are familiar with a film called The Room? A few of you (I hope). Well The Room is a legendarily awful 2003 film (it was once called the Citizen Kane of bad movies) that has an incredibly devoted and widespread fanbase. If you haven't seen it, you should. It's an incredible experience, nothing can prepare you for it. It's probably one of the most widely circulated 'midnight movies' right now, right up there with Rocky Horror.

Anyway, when I was at a screening of The Room a ways back, the presenter asked everyone how many times they'd seen The Room in theaters. One guy answered 9 times. 9. Sodding. Times. That amazed me. I don't think I've seen 2001: A Space Odyssey 9 times total (much less in theaters) and that's one of my favorite movies of all time. It got me thinking about the very odd fanbase The Room has attracted, and what they all see in it. I began researching it, perhaps hoping to write an article for my blog. But as I started in on my research, I realized this topic was far to large and diverse for a simple article. And so, I began tying it into my ambition to become a filmmaker.

And thus was born Roommates, a documentary I'm attempting to make on the subject of The Room and it's fanbase. But, as is readily apparent, I can't produce it on my own. So I turned to Kickstarter (for those of you who are unaware, this is a site that let's you submit an artistic project and ask the people on the internet for donations to help you make it). I'm not expecting anyone on this site to be able to donate anything (although if you could, it would be a great help to me) but if you could help me spread the word, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks for your time.

The Fanpage [https://www.facebook.com/tearingmeapaht] (since I'm not allowed to ask for advertising directly from here)
A Set of Opening Credits I Made For It [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u38oX7v20a4]
My Blog [http://arenorproductions.blogspot.com/]

Elesar

Apr 16, 2009
Loop Stricken said:
Oh, THAT'S where all those gifs come from!

I'll have to watch this at some point.
You should. It's...an experience like no other. Seriously, nothing can prepare you for this experience.

As a sidebar, anyone who doesn't feel like donating but wants to show support should like the fanpage I set up for it:

https://www.facebook.com/tearingmeapaht

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
ahh the room

never seen ti in full..seems like it would eb quite an experence though

"oh hai mark"

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Pretty sure that's advertising, dude. It's against the rules.

Elesar

Apr 16, 2009
Mortai Gravesend said:
Elesar said:
I think you're not allowed to have links for donations in your post. Not sure though. Think it's okay if it's in your profile or something though?

Want to say though, I've got a friend who's seen it quite a few times. Not sure just how many. He was very pleased when I pointed him to a screening of it with Tommy Wiseau there at UCSD. He showed it to me once. It was *horrible* but some parts were just hilarious with how bad they are. It made such little sense... The sex parts were SO damn awkward though. It made me cringe to watch them -__-
/shrug I'll switch it up for the FB fanpage to avoid trouble. Anyway, I'm not so much expecting direct donations from the forums I frequent as I am hoping for help spreading the word. There's no way I'm gonna meet my goals just by relying on people I know personally to help me spread the word (partially cuz, being a massive introvert, I'm don't know many people). So I turn, as always, to the internet.

Sightless Wisdom

Resident Cynic
Jul 24, 2009
Not sure how the Escapist rules will judge this one...

Anyway I've certainly seen the movie at a local theatre. Spoons were thrown and things were yelled, quite a fun experience really. I won't be donating to your documentary due to my own lack of money and need of college funds, but I wish you good luck.