ASMR

CultofZoidberg

Mar 3, 2015
Does anyone want to have a discussion on this. As I understand it there was a bit of a scandal recently in the community. As I understand it ER sent Whispering Rose a picture of his genitals, aka the "dic pic". Thoughts on the community, artists, etc?

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
Isn't ASMR that weird thing that has to do with sound that some people get? I thought it was a response to stimuli? Not a community with "dick pics?"

Aug 31, 2012
When you've seen an hour long video of a man wearing a leather old time plague doctor's mask trying to calm down a stressed water melon then...well, I don't really know, but that's a thing you've seen that you never expected to.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
ASMR is one of those things that it's fine with me if other people wanna spend their time on, but that I never really saw any reason to be interested in. Kinda like flyfishing or jogging.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
CultofZoidberg said:
Does anyone want to have a discussion on this. As I understand it there was a bit of a scandal recently in the community. As I understand it ER sent Whispering Rose a picture of his genitals, aka the "dic pic". Thoughts on the community, artists, etc?
I have no idea what you are talking about. What is ASMR, who is ER, who is Whispering Rose? Why should I care if they sent someone a dick pick? Context please.

razor343

Sep 29, 2010
I think what happened is that ER made a comment to her because she was complaining about getting dick pics while showing cleavage in every one of her videos...I'm not gonna get into whether this is okay or not but that's what I gather from all this.

Glongpre

Jun 11, 2013
Happyninja42 said:
CultofZoidberg said:
I have no idea what you are talking about. What is ASMR, who is ER, who is Whispering Rose? Why should I care if they sent someone a dick pick? Context please.
ASMR is a cool feeling some people get, and certain sounds that only another person can do, will activate this feeling. It kinda feels like a chill that goes from your head, down your spine. Feels nice.

lol there are so many vids for this now.

Man, feels so cool though.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Haven't heard of it. The only thing the ASMR community has been talking about recently is the official posting of Bob Ross's The Joy of Painting episodes on YouTube, after years and years of unofficial channels uploading the videos and getting taken down not much later.
Happyninja42 said:
ASMR - Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response. Pretty certain the word is bullshit, but the definition is simply "sounds that feel good". Whispering, machinery, sounds of drawing, nature and more. The big word is "tingles", if a sound makes you feel a tingling sensation in the back of your head, it's said to trigger ASMR.

ER - Ephemeral Rift. One of the more 'artistic' creators of ASMR. Also, one of the few popular ASMR content creators who happens to be a man, since most queerly enough are women. He's 'artistic' not because what he does is weird (it is), but because he can take a strange idea and run with it for over an hour in one continuous take. It's hilarious because there's obviously nothing wrong with him off camera, but in this character roleplays he really goes outlandish.

It's weird, alright. A bit of a weird intro to a community that I've come to love. Literally, it's a guy pretending to do a medical examination on a watermelon while wearing a full leather suit and a plague doctor mask for a whole hour. And his channel is full of videos that do everything else to keep it unique.

Whispering Rose - another content creator, not as big as ER, but big enough. Can't say much about her.

Should you care - not really, since there doesn't seem to be anything to back this claim up that I can find.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
I have ASMR and I haven't heard anything about this. Though I don't know why I necessarily should just because I have ASMR. Sounds like just another person acting like a douche.

If anyone has any questions about ASMR itself, I'm happy to answer.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
I don't really care about the incident specifically, I'm just kind of sad it happened in the first place. It goes to support a theory, anytime something becomes big enough to have a "community" it will inevitably be big enough that a "scandal" will happen. I've been kind of surprised by the growth of ASMR "awareness" (almost as big as bronies in their early stages) and I guess something like this happening... well a scandal was bound to pop up.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
I heard about this from a friend, though he presented it to me under the "weird fetish" category. I don't have any other context about it. This report of a dick pic seems to support what little I know.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Sorry Signa, the quote function went down for me. I'll try to answer. I'm sure there's plenty of "weird fetish" in people who watch the vids. But there is a legit group as well. People who are sensitive to the ASMR effect, and are actively trying to "trigger" the sensation. For me it's that and it's calmative. I'm a 3rd shifter, and prone to insomnia anyway. ASMR vids are cheaper than sleeping pills, and even though otc sleeping pills say they are "non-habit forming..." SLEEP is habit forming. ASMR vids don't seem to become necessary for sleep, but sleeping pills... I've become dependent on them in the past.

For me the triggers are more about the sound than the visual anyway. Search for "tapping" and you'll see what I mean. I'll admit that I don't get zero enjoyment an attractive female ASMRtist... but I'll get as much enjoyment from a vid that's visual is a still picture of a beach or moonscape.

So it isn't all just lecherous humps.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Oh, I guess I should contribute my thought of ASMR.

I've been using it pretty consistently over the course of at least a year. Not for sleep aid since I can't sleep with headphones on and am not an insomniac, not for stress relief because I'm not stressed, not for emotional help because I don't have problems. Really, I just find it relaxing, it feels nice, and I like to use it to wind down at the end of the day.

I've tried a lot, but what I really dig is the creepy, eerie videos that are meant to tell an unsettling story instead of relax you. Very few ASMRtists actually touch on this topic, most go for the safe content that everyone loves that don't put creepy stories in your relaxed mind. Ardra Neala is easily my favorite creator of these creepy videos, plus her face, voice, tone, and vocabulary are absolutely mesmerizing. Her roleplay about the Krampus is quickly becoming one of my favorites. Ephemeral Rift is number two, because he posts a new, good quality video practically twice a week, and his videos are oddball and unsettling enough for me. MassageASMR is an exception because holy fucking shit his voice.

Armadox

Mandatory Madness!
Aug 31, 2010
*sighs* I listen to ASMR videoes when I draw.. i can relax into them as I focus on stuff. They're not as distracting as music, and sometimes hit a tone that is perfect for where I want to be mentally. My mood is better since I started doing this. My two favorite are Ephemeral Rift and Heather Feather. I enjoy Fast "Inaudible" Whispering mostly, but ear cupping and grinding sounds also are nice.

Hearing this of ER is.. sad, but nothing that I think has effected him. He seems a good guy and as long as it doesn't effect his videos this is moot. My interest in this is solely in how many people on here are into these. It's pretty interesting to know how many others enjoy the same things I do..

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
sending dick pics

lolnope, not buying that for an instant.

Anyways, ASMR is pretty much the only thing that consistently knocks me out at night, so I use the videos for that. I enjoy the sensation too, but often don't have time for it anymore.

Best ASMRtists are Ephemeral Rift, Gentlewhispering, Ardra Neala, Olivia's Kissper and Cutebunny992, btw.

Armadox

Mandatory Madness!
Aug 31, 2010
lacktheknack said:
sending dick pics

lolnope, not buying that for an instant.
I know right? I'm honestly surprised they picked ER as the target. Even if he did, it's not the end of the god damn world. It's bad form, but either she presses harassment charges or she doesn't. If she's not, then it's moot. And am I the only one that imagines a dick pic of ER having a tiny mask on the end.. Or painted half black and white.. I mean, I can't see him not having some set up to the imagery..

Captcha: With Bells On- Your damn right, captcha.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Glongpre said:
So the weird part of YouTube is even making it onto the Escapist now, people really watch 30 min videos of someone folding rugs and mumbling?

Horses for courses I guess.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Anything that starts with "I heard on the Internet" without some sort of proof, I'm not going to take seriously. And as someone who's been subscribed to ER's channel for quite some time, this goes doubly so.

lacktheknack said:
Best ASMRtists are Ephemeral Rift, Gentlewhispering, Ardra Neala, Olivia's Kissper and Cutebunny992, btw.
You left out Heather Feather, you... you Tetris, you.

ZiggyE

Nov 13, 2010
I like listening to ASMR that's just regular, natural sounds, not people speaking. The stuff with people and community "celebrities" always seemed awkward and never quite triggered the feeling for me.