ASMR

Apr 17, 2009
I tend to like the binaural or ear to ear whispering stuff myself. I find it soothes me, helps me either sleep or relax. Useful on a long journey, since I generally find it difficult to sleep in vehicles. Personal favourite has got to be Heather Feather I think, partly because of the variety of videos and content in the videos, and partly just because she was one of the first I discovered and subscribed to

SoreWristed

Dec 26, 2014
Anyone else got a head ache from the videos in this thread?

Whispering in general just annoys me, severely. If I don't stop myself, I feel the urgent need to tell anyone whispering in my vicinity to "speak the fuck up". Especially ER's videos trigger this, since her audio is not run through any form of gate or noise reduction or even equalizer. You can recognize this when all you can hear clearly are S-sounds. Those sounds feel like literal pain to me.

I do understand ASMR but it only triggers for me on nature sounds, specifically rain and in a lesser extent running water.

Evil Moo

Always Watching...
Feb 26, 2011
I decided to check out some binaural/ASMR videos yesterday. I ended up drifting towards some more roleplay based ones which were mildly enjoyable in a calming way (specifically being treated for injuries by pleasant member of medical staff and another where a witch was casting spells on me for some reason). Don't really know if I experienced the supposed effect, not very strongly if I did, but not a bad experience overall.

Annoyingly some of the videos I tried didn't seem to bother with decent audio quality, which I feel kind of defeats the point of the endeavour in the first place...

CultofZoidberg

Mar 3, 2015
Happyninja42 said:
CultofZoidberg said:
Does anyone want to have a discussion on this. As I understand it there was a bit of a scandal recently in the community. As I understand it ER sent Whispering Rose a picture of his genitals, aka the "dic pic". Thoughts on the community, artists, etc?
I have no idea what you are talking about. What is ASMR, who is ER, who is Whispering Rose? Why should I care if they sent someone a dick pick? Context please.
my bad,

ASMR is autonomous sensory meridian response
ER is ephemeral rift
Hailey Whispering rose is this nice lady who only wanted to help people https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6u3mGcoySs&index=51&list=PL4963253ADB7E208D

and because dic pics are bad, and generally everyone is pretty cool in that community, so aggressive sexual harrassment is very rare.

CultofZoidberg

Mar 3, 2015
The Rogue Wolf said:
Anything that starts with "I heard on the Internet" without some sort of proof, I'm not going to take seriously. And as someone who's been subscribed to ER's channel for quite some time, this goes doubly so.

lacktheknack said:
Best ASMRtists are Ephemeral Rift, Gentlewhispering, Ardra Neala, Olivia's Kissper and Cutebunny992, btw.
You left out Heather Feather, you... you Tetris, you.
And of course Fairy Char

CultofZoidberg

Mar 3, 2015
Signa said:
I heard about this from a friend, though he presented it to me under the "weird fetish" category. I don't have any other context about it. This report of a dick pic seems to support what little I know.
surprisingly very little of it is fetish. PrettyKittyMiaos is one of the only ones.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
CultofZoidberg said:
Signa said:
I heard about this from a friend, though he presented it to me under the "weird fetish" category. I don't have any other context about it. This report of a dick pic seems to support what little I know.
surprisingly very little of it is fetish. PrettyKittyMiaos is one of the only ones.
It's interesting how ASMR listeners are wholesomely against the content being sexual. Something about the sexual bits getting in the way of what makes videos so relaxing. You can pick your nose, you can pick your friends, but you can't pick your friend's nose.

There's literally hundreds of ASMRtists on YouTube, yet there are maybe ten ASMRtists who use a sexual approach and post somewhat continuously. It's not that they can't get their content out because they can't host on YouTube, people simply aren't interested in them and don't return for more content.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
I watch ASMR videos. Watching people paint triggers me really well. Pretty happy that full episodes of Bob Ross painting are now on Youtube.

Honestly, most ASMR videos trigger. Heather Feather is probably my favourite.

As for the drama stuff, I don't pay any attention to that.

Teepop

Sep 21, 2014
I watch ASMR videos every night.

It all started for me probably 20 to 25 years ago when I first saw some Bob Ross repeats on TV. That guy was the original and the best.

Like many people only men trigger it for me. There are a lot of really good female artists but they don't work for me. Sadly I do see a few women who do look like they are trying to sexualise it. Their choice of course and it's not for me to criticise but no doubt the media will exploit that small minority in order to smear it.

I saw an article about it on the BBC late last year and surprise-surprise they tried to slip in concerns about it being erotic or addictive.

Anyway my favourite is a guy called MassageASMR who has a character he plays called Dr Dmitri. Those are my favourites by far especially this shirt he wears that makes a crisp scrunchy sound!

I've not heard of any of this drama though but then I don't tend to read comments and whilst ER could trigger me I really don't like the humour of his videos and prefer the more realistic professional stuff that MassageASMR does.

I sure hope those rumours aren't true because with the usual suspects in the left wing media already sniffing around looking for negative sexual angles I can't see that ending well for ASMR's image.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
lacktheknack said:
Best ASMRtists are Ephemeral Rift, Gentlewhispering, Ardra Neala, Olivia's Kissper and Cutebunny992, btw.
I still remember your thread, I'm pretty sure it was your thread, from a few years back that introduced me to it. Cheers.

P.S. You left out SoftAnnaPL [https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKmaEQ67Tt0q54sOLSvVJNg].

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
TheYellowCellPhone said:
There's literally hundreds of ASMRtists on YouTube, yet there are maybe ten ASMRtists who use a sexual approach and post somewhat continuously. It's not that they can't get their content out because they can't host on YouTube, people simply aren't interested in them and don't return for more content.
Exclusively there's very few, yeah, but you'll notice on any big ASMRtist's channel the videos with innuendo, sexual references or undertones, or even just with cleavage tend to get more hits. Granted there are degrees to how sexual their approaches are but I still wouldn't discount interest in such content. This is even without getting into Japanese ero-audio which has grown a fair bit relative to the rest of ASMR. Not wanting or feeling compelled to associate sexuality with ASMR certainly is part of why it's not that popular but I'd say the fact that it's treated as taboo within the 'community' as just as big, if not bigger, a reason. I'm guessing it has to do with people not wanting ASMR to be 'misunderstood' by the public. Everything that was once niche has to go through this, i.e. pretty much everything from rock 'n roll to videogames, so I don't really see the point of trying to fight it.

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
Ok so I was right. My general thoughts on the thing is I assume it's a thing, like phenylthiocarbamide, but I don't get it. Part of that might just be my ability to just in general "tune out" annoying sounds. That annoying "ear worm" song playing for the millionth time? Yeah I wasn't listing. Whenever I've tried I've just tuned it out and ended up thinking about something else.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
lacktheknack said:
sending dick pics

lolnope, not buying that for an instant.

Anyways, ASMR is pretty much the only thing that consistently knocks me out at night, so I use the videos for that. I enjoy the sensation too, but often don't have time for it anymore.

Guys sending dick pics is actually VERY common, so why would you think he would not do such a thing? Why would you assume she would make this up without any other information?
The Rogue Wolf said:
Anything that starts with "I heard on the Internet" without some sort of proof, I'm not going to take seriously. And as someone who's been subscribed to ER's channel for quite some time, this goes doubly so.

lacktheknack said:
Armadox said:
lacktheknack said:
sending dick pics

I know right? I'm honestly surprised they picked ER as the target. Even if he did, it's not the end of the god damn world. It's bad form, but either she presses harassment charges or she doesn't. If she's not, then it's moot. And am I the only one that imagines a dick pic of ER having a tiny mask on the end.. Or painted half black and white.. I mean, I can't see him not having some set up to the imagery..

Captcha: With Bells On- Your damn right, captcha.
I am confused. Why would it be considered " picked him for a target" rather that " picked her for a target" to send dick pics to? If he is sending dick pics, he isn't being " picked for a target" it would be him targeting her.

As someone who has received so many dick pics I should be blind forever, I can tell you it is quite common to happen, and no people do not generally press charges for things like that. Why would she press charges? Most never do, and would it not be more appropriate to just call him out on it and tell him to stop it rather than press charges against him? Is she supposed to then go show his dick pics to the world to prove it? YIKES.

These responses and attitudes in regards to guys sending dick pics I find odd. Rather than saying " dude that is not cool if you did this", people assume she has to be lying. Why would people assume she is lying rather than understanding this is a common thing that happens these days? Why is she automatically assumed to be " dishonest"?

Often girls and women are sent dick pics just from people finding out they are a girl in a game they are playing, I am not sure why anyone would be surprised by hearing of this happening to someone. Considering the men who have sent them to me, many different types of men engage in this same behavior, so I am not sure what people think is " the type of guy that would do this" would be. Old, young, attractive, athletic, obese, introverted, extroverted.. that all seems to not impact whether or not they engage in this behavior.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
ASMR, like any feeling requiring a stimulus, can be difficult to attain using the same means repeatedly unless you are extremely susceptible to it. So I don't actively seek it out. Some of the videos veer into the weird rubber and leather scene and I'm just not into that. It's simply an emotional response to things I enjoy. New Avengers flick coming out - ASMR. New music from that band I love - ASMR. In all likelihood, when the GoT theme comes blasting out of my TV tonight that will trigger it as well. If it's something old, like say, a movie or TV series in my DVD collection I haven't watched in in a while, maybe but likely not and that's ok.

As far as any scandal involving dick pics, welcome to the internet. If a hobby borders on fetishism, things like this are bound to happen so it does not surprise me in the least.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Lil devils x said:
I don't believe it for the same reason I wouldn't believe it if I was told my Dad had done it. The guy is married, with a kid, and speaks out repeatedly and loudly against cyberbullying and online abuse of all kinds. Further, he would HAVE to know that doing this would result in bad things for him, because they're both high-profile ASMRtists.

However, I doubt that Hailey WhisperingRose even said anything in the first place. I tried Googling this, and the only person who seems to acknowledge this "controversy" is... some guy named "CultOfZoidberg". Who has started threads on multiple forums with the same awkward "What do you think of ASMR? Oh, and dick pics." format in all of them.

I'm not saying he made it up, but he almost assuredly made it up.

When we were saying "he was the target", we don't mean from Hailey, we mean from people like CultOfZoidberg.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
lacktheknack said:
Lil devils x said:
lacktheknack said:
sending dick pics

Anyways, ASMR is pretty much the only thing that consistently knocks me out at night, so I use the videos for that. I enjoy the sensation too, but often don't have time for it anymore.

Guys sending dick pics is actually VERY common, so why would you think he would not do such a thing? Why would you assume she would make this up without any other information?
The Rogue Wolf said:

lacktheknack said:
Armadox said:
lacktheknack said:
sending dick pics

I know right? I'm honestly surprised they picked ER as the target. Even if he did, it's not the end of the god damn world. It's bad form, but either she presses harassment charges or she doesn't. If she's not, then it's moot. And am I the only one that imagines a dick pic of ER having a tiny mask on the end.. Or painted half black and white.. I mean, I can't see him not having some set up to the imagery..

Captcha: With Bells On- Your damn right, captcha.
I am confused. Why would it be considered " picked him for a target" rather that " picked her for a target" to send dick pics to? If he is sending dick pics, he isn't being " picked for a target" it would be him targeting her.

As someone who has received so many dick pics I should be blind forever, I can tell you it is quite common to happen, and no people do not generally press charges for things like that. Why would she press charges? Most never do, and would it not be more appropriate to just call him out on it and tell him to stop it rather than press charges against him? Is she supposed to then go show his dick pics to the world to prove it? YIKES.

These responses and attitudes in regards to guys sending dick pics I find odd. Rather than saying " dude that is not cool if you did this", people assume she has to be lying. Why would people assume she is lying rather than understanding this is a common thing that happens these days? Why is she automatically assumed to be " dishonest"?

Often girls and women are sent dick pics just from people finding out they are a girl in a game they are playing, I am not sure why anyone would be surprised by hearing of this happening to someone. Considering the men who have sent them to me, many different types of men engage in this same behavior, so I am not sure what people think is " the type of guy that would do this" would be. Old, young, attractive, athletic, obese, introverted, extroverted.. that all seems to not impact whether or not they engage in this behavior.
I don't believe it for the same reason I wouldn't believe it if I was told my Dad had done it. The guy is married, with a kid, and speaks out repeatedly and loudly against cyberbullying and online abuse of all kinds. Further, he would HAVE to know that doing this would result in bad things for him, because they're both high-profile ASMRtists.

However, I doubt that Hailey WhisperingRose even said anything in the first place. I tried Googling this, and the only person who seems to acknowledge this "controversy" is... some guy named "CultOfZoidberg". Who has started threads on multiple forums with the same awkward "What do you think of ASMR? Oh, and dick pics." format in all of them.

I'm not saying he made it up, but he almost assuredly made it up.
Okay that makes more sense, so until we have a solid answer from her as to whether or not this is actually happened it should be treated as rumor. However, if she states it did happen, would we have any reason to not believe her?

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Lil devils x said:
Okay that makes more sense, so until we have a solid answer from her as to whether or not this is actually happened it should be treated as rumor. However, if she states it did happen, would we have any reason to not believe her?
I'd probably believe her. I mean, she has no reason to make that up either, seeing how ASMRtists tend to know and like each other.

It won't happen, though, because nothing happened. No video from either, no damning comments from either, no angry comments on either one's videos. Oh well, the hoax allowed an ASMR thread to happen, which I'm in support of. :p

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
CultofZoidberg said:
Does anyone want to have a discussion on this. As I understand it there was a bit of a scandal recently in the community. As I understand it ER sent Whispering Rose a picture of his genitals, aka the "dic pic". Thoughts on the community, artists, etc?
I think it's weird that we're bringing up some alleged dick pic scandal in the same topic as what I thought was colloquially known as "white noise." So if I understand it right, ASMR is noises people find relaxing or stimulating in some way, sometimes sexually sometimes not. ER is an ASMR artist who does some strange things in his videos. ER allegedly sent some other ASMR artist some pictures of his penis, but this may or may not be a rumor.

These are two completely different topics, and bringing them up at the same time is a little confusing to those of us who are uninitiated. Now that I understand what it is I guess ASMR is fine if that's what you like, but I'll admit at first I was more than a little leery after reading this OP.

CultofZoidberg

Mar 3, 2015
Lilani said:
CultofZoidberg said:
I think it's weird that we're bringing up some alleged dick pic scandal in the same topic as what I thought was colloquially known as "white noise." So if I understand it right, ASMR is noises people find relaxing or stimulating in some way, sometimes sexually sometimes not. ER is an ASMR artist who does some strange things in his videos. ER allegedly sent some other ASMR artist some pictures of his penis, but this may or may not be a rumor.

These are two completely different topics, and bringing them up at the same time is a little confusing to those of us who are uninitiated. Now that I understand what it is I guess ASMR is fine if that's what you like, but I'll admit at first I was more than a little leery after reading this OP.
I would describe it as more of the same thing as triggering with a bit of new age mixed in.