Assassin?s Creed Revelation Hands-On

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
"As long as I know this game was developed by a multicultural team of various faiths and beliefs, I can rest easy."
I laughed out loud at that

Also I'm looking forward to this. Not sure if I'll be able to afford its release date price though, might have to wait a little.

Tarkand

Dec 15, 2009
Is combat actually fun this time around or is it still just sitting there and waiting for people to attack so you can counter attack and kill them?

That's my main gripe with AC2 and AC1 really... combat is so boring...

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Tarkand said:
Is combat actually fun this time around or is it still just sitting there and waiting for people to attack so you can counter attack and kill them?

Have you played Brotherhood? They already sorted that problem out.

OP: I can't really produce a sound to convey how much I am longing to get my hands on this game, but I believe it would go something like this...

"NNNNNNNNNNNGHGHHGHGHGHHGNNGNNGHNNGHHNNNKKKNHNKNNJKNKKNKNARRRRRRRRGRGRGGRRGRGGGGGGG!"

brodie21

Apr 6, 2009
three games i want so bad are coming out within 3 weeks of each other! developers take my money now!!!

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
CAN'T. WAIT.

Love love love the AC series from number 1, they've been getting better and better from then.

Can't freaking wait!

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
Varewulf said:
I still think it's a shame they abandoned their concept of introducing new main characters in new time periods. Will still get this though. The gameplay has always been the main draw for me. I can faff about for hours.
This game is the "We're serious now guys no more Ezio games, I mean, we said that last time but this time we're SUPER serious!" game, maybe AC3 will move on. Or AC4, as I have a feeling old Desmond is going to have a turn.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Metalrocks said:
looking forward to it. but i have a feeling that the PC version will be postponed again to february next year as the other titles did.
Its been delayed by two weeks or so; personally, I would have put money on it being another ridiculous 2 or 3 month delay.

Not that you should buy it until the obnoxious DRM is removed some time in the future.

Varewulf said:
I still think it's a shame they abandoned their concept of introducing new main characters in new time periods. Will still get this though. The gameplay has always been the main draw for me. I can faff about for hours.
Will come with AC3, and since its likely they'll want to make use of the universe after that, it'll be done with every numbered game.

Averant

Jul 6, 2010
NinjaDeathSlap said:
Tarkand said:

Have you played Brotherhood? They already sorted that problem out.

OP: I can't really produce a sound to convey how much I am longing to get my hands on this game, but I believe it would go something like this...

"NNNNNNNNNNNGHGHHGHGHGHHGNNGNNGHNNGHHNNNKKKNHNKNNJKNKKNKNARRRRRRRRGRGRGGRRGRGGGGGGG!"
yes, they sorted that problem out, by breaking the entire combat system. :p Done well, one counter attack would end up with 10 people dead. It got to the point where I would just walk around the city and kill random guard outposts, without even stopping to hide.

The spears were fun to impale people with, though...

Random berk

Sep 1, 2010
Will Ezio still be too crippled with arthritis to draw his sword quickly when a fight starts? Will he continue to fart loudly every time he approaches a guard from behind? These are things that seemed to happen an awful lot in AC:B.

Landis963

May 23, 2011
Broken Blade said:
Maybe the build was either a near-finished one or they didn't have time to hide those sort of features before the demo went up?
Possibly, but it can't be that hard to cover the image of one button with another that says "End demo now" or another such phrase that is nevertheless irresistible to scientists and schmucks, or, heck, just Ctrl+F the relevant sections and mash delete. They probably just didn't notice it was still accessible there, which in hindsight explains the hasty actions of the ubisoft employee as reported on kotaku.

Edit: Dagnabbit, the link goes to the wrong post.

Warforger

Apr 24, 2010
Calvar Draveir said:
It's not that no-one noticed a killing a whole bunch of people, it's that no-one knew who that dude was affiliated with, and if they did,
They did, every time the Assasin was seen people directly called him "Assasino" whether it be any ol' guard to the guy who reads the news to the people.

Calvar Draveir said:
both the Templars and Assassins have dedicated their entire lives to destroying evidence of such stuff. and the reason that it is so complete is that by Modern Times, Abstergo controls literally all the more important and powerful organizations in the entire world.
Except the Assasin's don't seem to have the man power to do so, Templars sure they're more believeable, but again with the amount of hysteria that can be generated from just killing someone whose about to tell it does you no good to kill off every link because if you kill someone someone's going to notice

Calvar Draveir said:
Ezio didn't ever fight huge armies by himself.
Except he does, in the first trailer for Revelations.

Calvar Draveir said:
He usually fought about 10-15 guards. And a fight that big causes cvillians to run away, they don't give a crap about staying to find out who they're fighting. Assassins work within the people to gain contacts and keep them quiet about their work.
The "people" aren't one unified army, they're lots and lots of different people with competing interests and the Templars are already recruiting in comparison like crazy, so it makes no sense why they wouldn't just write a whole book about them.

Calvar Draveir said:
And when you were referring to the assassins being from Syria, that's the real life story. In the game, Assassins and Templars have existed long before that. They are not assassins in the literal form, they don't kill for money. They kill whoever they think is going to opress free will, and they work to uplift the people.
Yes I know. The problem though is that they're not secretive at all. If they were the game would be the most boring thing ever since real life professional assasin's don't go around guns blazing, they stalk their target, learn about his daily routine, learn about his medical records etc. until finally they're able to administer some overdose of cold medication or something, you know something that would never make people think someone killed them? That's how that one former-Russian spy got killed except they used the wrong material and everyone knew Russia killed them.

Calvar Draveir said:
The reason I said that they can do this in any form is because they don't say "WE ARE ASSASSINS" whenever they show up. To any onlookers, they are hooded men and women striking swiftly and dissapearing. Such modes of dress were common then, and are common now. How are people going to instantly know that they're part of an ideal? They could be crazy people, for all they know.
Because they are well versed in their ways? I mean the guards seem to know him after all and in a cutscene for AC:B one guard says "They're nowhere but everywhere at the same time" and if they are within the people chances are someone knows who they are and many groups like those cultists in the Da Vinci dissapperance do as well.

Calvar Draveir said:
You seem to think it's ridiculous because you trust that historians somewhere would find correspondences mentioning them and bring them to light.
If what the Assasin's do is true, then there'd be tons of work done at least fictionally talking about how they run around the roof tops of Rome in front of all the civilians and go around killing people. Surely since they don't know about this guy then they'd write something down about how impressive that was? Or how he killed a bunch of people?

Calvar Draveir said:
What if all the historians are closely monitored by a worldwide organization with near unlimited resources?
Except in the Subject 16 puzzles it's shown Abstergio had no control over the Communists so this means it's possible to live outside of it, and again I bring up the Anti-Mason party as well, if you kill someone about the speak out against you it's just going to raise interest rather than deflect it.

Not to mention if they have those kind of resources then they should have no trouble tracking down Desmond in a heartbeat, otherwise historians could just hide in the country side and get a printer, and print their messages across the whole world, or hell just use the internet.

Calvar Draveir said:
You ARE overthinking it, but you're overthinking in the wrong direction. For every reason that it's unlikely, there is another that it is.
I know I am overthinking it, but I never did it in the wrong direction. I admit so at the end of my post anyway.

Calvar Draveir said:
It doesn't really matter, but I'm just saying, History is not definate. It passes through so much, so many people could have altered it.
At the time it happened, but if you were to say have evidence that Caesar conquered China people are going to want to know before they write it down as official history.

Calvar Draveir said:
And the Assassins and Templars don't ever actually declare themselves, and use a lot of proxies like mercenaries and the Church.
Except they do as people seem to always say "Assasino".

Calvar Draveir

Feb 10, 2010
Warforger said:
Except they do as people seem to always say "Assasino".
They say Assassino because they're saying "assassin". No capital letter. They think it is a random assassin. They have no idea that there is a larger group.

About Ezio destroying whole armies, he killed about 10 of them before being overwhelmed.

And about People writing down "I saw this really cool thing today, this one guy killed tons of guards", we actually do have correspondences about people standing on their own and kicking butt. But we don't know who they are or who they're affiliated with, and neither do the writers.

Given the number of different factions that hated each other at that time, it's very easy to pretend to be mercenaries hired by the other side, or to even convince the other side that you're doing it for them. And that's what people think of you as when they see you, automatically.

The Assassin's reach faded in the end of the 20th century, yes, but before that, they obviously were getting rid of any compromizing information.

but really, the Assassins never try overmuch to hide the existence of their order. They may pretend it is smaller than it is, or not elaborate. It is the Templars who make sure that the citizens of whatever time are largely ignorant of the Assassins. because the Assassins and their ideals are dangerous things for the people to know.

And since the Templars always worm their way into leading other organizations, there should be no surprise that they're quite secret.

Actually, Assassins do so too, although they ususally have the goal of actually governing properly, rather than tightening a noose of control.

BanicRhys

May 31, 2011
I'm so excited! I can't wait to wait 6 months after the game is released before buying it because I'm poor as fuck.

Also, tee hee, the author's surname is Butts.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
Woodsey said:
Metalrocks said:
looking forward to it. but i have a feeling that the PC version will be postponed again to february next year as the other titles did.
Its been delayed by two weeks or so; personally, I would have put money on it being another ridiculous 2 or 3 month delay.

Not that you should buy it until the obnoxious DRM is removed some time in the future.
lol, i hate DRM too but so far it works fine for me. i just click on the exe file, it loads up and in a few secs im in the game.
well, im pretty sure the escapist will inform us if the pc version gets delayed. when AC 2 and brotherhood have been postponed, so will this one.

vivster

Oct 16, 2010
the assassin's creed series is just amazing
that's the 3rd game in a row with a good portion of innovation

it continues to get better and better each time
who would've ever thought ubisoft can make such a great thing
i hope the series continues for a long time

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Metalrocks said:
Woodsey said:
Metalrocks said:

lol, i hate DRM too but so far it works fine for me. i just click on the exe file, it loads up and in a few secs im in the game.
well, im pretty sure the escapist will inform us if the pc version gets delayed. when AC 2 and brotherhood have been postponed, so will this one.
It has been delayed by a couple of weeks, it was announced a few weeks back.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
Woodsey said:
It has been delayed by a couple of weeks, it was announced a few weeks back.
looks like i missed that one. well, i hope it will come out next month.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
Warforger said:
Erm, according to their history they aren't an ideology, just a group of people from Syria who used Assassination techniques like the assassin parts in the game to keep their kingdom alive.
They did have an ideology. They practiced a branch of Islam other Muslims thought was heretical, and adopted doctrines as part of their survival (e.g., taqiyya, which let you lie about your beliefs to save your life).

Doesn't really matter though, the Assassins in AC are a fictional society loosely based on the real Assassins, or more accurately, the historical propaganda of the Assassins.

Warforger said:
Taking on whole armies is completely missing the point of that entirely and I really doubt that would fit in to a "secret" society where hundreds of men have been seen and killed, the amount of manpower and surveillance needed to keep like say any ol' guy who saw him kill whole armies from writing about it and the amount of trust you put into the people, rather laughable how everyone and their grandma doesn't know about them.
The AC series is pretty good about taking real historical events and adding Assassin or Templar involvement (e.g., all your assassination targets in AC1 who are historical figures really did die in that year of the Third Crusade, but in the AC universe it was because of Altair). That might be the case here.