Assassin's Creed 2: why so much love?

Belvadier

May 17, 2009
Why does everyone love Assassin's Creed 2 so much? It's another game that I just got for free recently (The other being Alan Wake, which was incredible) and so far I've found AC2 to be VERY average. It's fun enough, I guess but it's not terribly exciting. Also, I've heard so much praise for the graphics but I just find them to be terrible. I hate the animations and the faces/skin tone of characters just don't look good at all.

Maybe I'm just stupid, but did anyone else feel this way?

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
...the graphics are good..are you playing this on your mobile phone or something?

soapyshooter

That Guy
Jan 19, 2010
um not really. To me visuals are the last things I am worried about. The game's story is what kept me going. As for the exciting part, I thought it was well placed with a good mix of story with plenty of sidequests. I mean its your opinion, if you thought its average, its average.

CK76

Sep 25, 2009
Some things in life are subjective. I enjoy running on roofs, seeing historical sites and stabbing people with a knife as I leap on them from fifty feet above. If you don't, fair enough, I wouldn't worry about it, plenty of games I dislike others love.

If the graphics are terrible I think we've been spoiled at this point in our expectations, but graphics rank way down for me anyways.

Zirat

May 16, 2009
The visuals are beautiful, the gameplay is fun, and the story is interesting. Just about fills out all of the needs to be an acclaimed hit.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Because it's really fucking good.

Maybe you don't agree with that, so what? Don't ask stupid questions.

Kurokami

Feb 23, 2009
Belvadier said:
Why does everyone love Assassin's Creed 2 so much? It's another game that I just got for free recently (The other being Alan Wake, which was incredible) and so far I've found AC2 to be VERY average. It's fun enough, I guess but it's not terribly exciting. Also, I've heard so much praise for the graphics but I just find them to be terrible. I hate the animations and the faces/skin tone of characters just don't look good at all.

Maybe I'm just stupid, but did anyone else feel this way?
I think its mostly just people who played the first who liked the second, even then though the gameplay improved a bit the story's was a huge disappointment. I enjoyed it but despised the story after playing the first one, my favorite bit was actually the codes/puzzle aspects of the game.

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
Because, apart from several silliness moments and small shortcomings it was actually enjoyable experience for a play-through. The gameplay was smooth, the visuals very eye pleasing, it hardly had any unneeded game elements and not bad puzzles.
Im not one to say i loved it, but most certainly enjoyed it as a relaxing game, something i find quite rare lately.

Belvadier

May 17, 2009
wow, I didn't expect nor do I appreciate all of the hatred against me. This post wasn't meant to admonish the game really, nor was it just to illicit a reaction, I was just wondering if anyone else felt like the game just wasn't quite as great as everyone, and the reviews, made it out to be. I mean the very face that this game was talked about in "game of the year" conversations really just doesn't make sense to me.

I'm very sorry if I deeply offended you by not liking this game, I was just on a hunt for some like-minded people or to see if I was the only one.

Woodsey said:

it's things like this

SextusMaximus said:
iggyus said:
You have an opinion, congrats, so does everyone else beside you
This. You're looking for a reaction, and you're not gonna get it.
and this that I don't really want to or need to hear. Thanks.

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
Belvadier said:
wow, I didn't expect nor do I appreciate all of the hatred against me. This post wasn't meant to admonish the game really, nor was it just to illicit a reaction, I was just wondering if anyone else felt like the game just wasn't quite as great as everyone, and the reviews, made it out to be. I mean the very face that this game was talked about in "game of the year" conversations really just doesn't make sense to me.

I'm very sorry if I deeply offended you by not liking this game, I was just on a hunt for some like-minded people or to see if I was the only one.

Woodsey said:

it's things like this

SextusMaximus said:
iggyus said:
You have an opinion, congrats, so does everyone else beside you
This. You're looking for a reaction, and you're not gonna get it.
and this that I don't really want to or need to hear. Thanks.
You take offense pretty quickly, don't you?

The GOTY was a matter of OPINION. Like EVERYONE is telling you. Unless you wish to be intentionally dense :)

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Graphics were pretty good, tbh. I enjoyed the game overall, definitely a good one. Needed more variance in melee, and less 'fail if spotted' missions (particularly near the end), but it was sweet overall.

Also needed better translation of console controls to PC - a green circle with a foot on it is a BAD representation of the space bar. Seriously, especially if you're going to pop them up for 2 seconds as cut scene QTEs :/

Loved the ending sequence - sci-fi takes on religion are always awesome =D

EDIT: oh yeah, and the draw distance is phenomenal :D you can seriously see then entirety of Florence from a single point. That's just magic. Wonderful to recognise places you've visited. Well, at least the Duomo...

imaloony

Nov 19, 2009
...Because we like it...?

Is that so hard to grasp?

I suppose one reason is that Assassin's Creed 1 was very hit or miss among gamers. About half of the ones who played it loved the game, and the other half hated it (myself being in the former), when AC2 came out, it was much more universally well received, so I suppose that's one reason.

Also, I must comment on what you said about the graphics. Graphics don't impact games much, but AC2 looks great. Maybe not the best, and I do notice that their hands look a little funky, but the graphics were good over all. Especially when compared to many of the other games that came out late last year.

Sep 14, 2009
well i thought the story was decent enough, i liked the free running and the fact that the open world ACTUALLY had people in it and stuff to do, unlike many other open world games, and not that i cared, the visuals were pretty good? better than the first one and thats good enough for me.

i really dont see that much hype about it, maybe when it first came out but after that i didnt hear much super praise about it

the only downfall i really found about it is i loved it the first playthrough, but found no replayability through it really, my opinion of course but i'd definitly rank it a pretty good and enjoyable game

ShakesZX

Nov 28, 2009
Why so much love? Because somebody finds the game rather enjoyable would be the cause of this, so called, "love"...

Verex

May 31, 2010
I personally don't enjoy the Assasin's Creed series, but that's just me. The fighting is good, but I feel like all I'm doing is tracking down, hiding in barrels of hay, and killing an objective. For a free world exploration, I don't feel there's much freedom in objectives.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
If you didn't have fun with it, fine, but I'm not going to sit here and try to convince you that it is.