Assassins Creed 3 set in America? No thanks.

Snowalker

Nov 8, 2008
Folks, the fuck are you on about with the American Civil War? That has nothing to do with what Shaun said, there is only one place where those two things meet. Thats the Declaration of the Rights of Man. French Revolution seems to be the likely place for this game to head. However, there is another time and place where these two things meet. American Revolution. Yeah, I can see that a hell of a lot better than the Civil War fuckery. America can be a nice setting, but we shouldn't shoe-horn it in, pick the place that would allow the story to progress the best.

IBlackKiteI

Mar 12, 2010
Would you rather then do the same thing, again?

Not that what've done so far is bad, far from it, but after three games the same sort of setting is getting kinda old.

Its time for a change!

Jaidenator

Dec 27, 2010
Well I suppose if they pulled it off I would accept it. But I hope they don't just do it for the market and publicity it would generate. But anyway i'm secretly hoping for Russia even though it hasn't been hinted to at all.

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
It needs to be something that allows for parkour. Somehow, I don't picture Civil War era America being very free-running friendly. The buildings wouldn't be crammed together enough, or high enough to make it work.

My bet is France.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Civil War America sounds nice as it's hardly touched on compared to other times.

Caiti Voltaire

Feb 10, 2010
Ordinaryundone said:
....whats wrong with Civil War era-America? It was a pretty tumultuous time, in both politics and general violence, plus the setting isn't really even that much more high tech than AC2. You still have horses, mediocre guns (but the shift has started, so maybe instead of an arm gun we get a hold-out revolver?)

Plus, you know, Lincoln. One of the most famous assassinations in the world. Pretty big deal.
It would be a pretty large disconnect from the original two games. But at the same time, a disconnect might be just the thing to pull the game from the sameyness its stuck in now, if its done right. Id probably play it, if they did it well.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
The picture I saw somewhere, that I suppose is from the game, looked very piratey though.
Gief gief pirate ninja assassins!

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
Ordinaryundone said:
....whats wrong with Civil War era-America? It was a pretty tumultuous time, in both politics and general violence, plus the setting isn't really even that much more high tech than AC2. You still have horses, mediocre guns (but the shift has started, so maybe instead of an arm gun we get a hold-out revolver?)

Plus, you know, Lincoln. One of the most famous assassinations in the world. Pretty big deal.
lol having ANYTHING to do with the Lincoln assassination would just rock my socks. :D

OT: I dunno, civil war era America would be pretty cool, but there's not exactly enough grounds for them to continue the excellent swordfighting gameplay mechanics they've had working for a while now.
I'd hate to see them throw out swordfighting and for AC3 to just be another third person shooter.

Personally, I'd love to see a game set in Egypt, like that concept art teased earlier this year. That would really rock some serious tits.

Of course, I'm always hoping for a feudal Japanese spin off ^^

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
...I'm with the people who want Japan, but as long as the locale is good for some parkour and stabbing then...

jaketheripper

Jan 27, 2010
Jaidenator said:
gmaverick019 said:
Ordinaryundone said:

basically this. i dont see what is so bad about it.

or could it be..because it involves america? okay get off your high horse on geography, its an interesting time period set with lots of lore and shadow/assassination types involved, so it could work out pretty well depending on how they handled it.
Its just America is so overdone in video games, its the setting for most games out there and I just find it refreshing when a game takes it upon itself to be different. Instead of conforming to the country with the largest market.
yea modern america is overdone,k last time i checked the civil war was a while ago... its not like they are bringin in the space marines. this thread is pointless, it needs to be based on a better argument. -facepalms, shakes head, and walks away-

baseracer

Jul 31, 2009
I was hoping 1870-1910. The peace in Europe means nothing. The secret war between the templars and assassins was higher than ever.

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
I'm honestly surprised they didn't put it in Feudal Japan for 2.

Lots of potential.

And yes, Civil War would be a terrible time to place it. Not because of the events that take place, but because of the setting.

There isn't many "Free running friendly" places that would work in America, not to mention there is really nothing historical that they could fit that whole gods plot into. And Civil War is too advanced. No one is running around with swords and Hammers anymore, its moved onto Muskets and cannons.

I think they should put it into the future. But make it so the Pieces of Eden have destroyed modern technology so they have to go back to post apocalyptic primitive fighting. You have to collect the Pieces to revert it back to its original state or some bullshit.

SteewpidZombie

Dec 31, 2010
Personally I think there are only a handful of places left to visit that could allow for a Assassins Creed style game. As each game moves forward in time, the possible era's to visit are decreasing. Personally I think there are several that could be the next setting.

~American Civil War: Muskets and revolvers were standard, yet still not advanced enough to impede gameplay elements. Calvary and sabres/bayonets still allow for melee combat.

~Napoleonic Era: Muskets, Calvary, and Sabres. A lil lower tech then the Civil War, but still a possibility (Considering that all the Assassins Creed games have been European based so far.

~Japan: Limited firearms such as muskets, Calvary, and lots of arrow/sword fighting. (The time would be roughly when America first contacted Japan during the so called 'Final Days Of The Samurai' when new technology and outside culture began to get rid of the need of Samurai or ninja. (Era could also be earlier when the Portugese and Dutch were trading cannons and muskets to Japan)

~World War: Highly unlikely, but a side story (Web Novel/Canon) mentioned that there was a Allied doctor who during the Xmas ceasefire with the Germans went to go patch up a German officer. The German turned out to be a Templar, and the Allied Doctor (Assassin) killed him.

heavy-metal-ink

Dec 10, 2009
Not too sure what sorts of towns/cities were around back during the Civil war, but i don't think it would have the same feel as AC1/2/BH, the european setting just seems much richer and really sets the vibe for the series, and at the very least id prefer a more stereotypically 'old' place.
ID personally prefer it was set in a range of places, maybe a few of the ones referenced at the end of the first AC game, like Yonaguni and Nepal.
Anyway, so long as its not set in New York I'll probably buy it.

Bullmatthews

Sep 17, 2009
Maybe Lincoln Will be the leader of The Assassin's guild that would be hilarious.

But i really don't think that Civil War would work to many rifles and things of that nature. Instead of countering sword attacks you would have to counter bullets and i don't think that will work well. Unless you have a peice of Eden

The only next step that has swords and close range combat after the civil war is like light sabers, but i think that might be crossing some copyright issues

Shock and Awe

Winter is Coming
Sep 6, 2008
I would be alright with that, but I still would prefer somewhere with really tall buildings.