Assassin's Creed IV Actor Matt Ryan Cast as John Constantine

Elijah Newton

Sep 17, 2008
luvd1 said:
What you lot on about, he's too young? He's only 32. Constantine was only 35 at the start of the hellblazer books. He's one of the only comic book characters who actually aged through out his run.
Yeah, on that - I'm not well versed in the formal canon but I've the Hellblazer in which he celebrates his 40th and really appreciated the character aging. Him as a late-middle aged guy anchors his youth in a time which seems uniquely formative to his character. He was someone who became an adult in the 80s, when first wave punks were old* and yuppies were new. Being born in the 80s pulls him into a completely different set of influences. Sheesh - I mean, at 32 this guy would've turned 18 in 2000? Not to imply that life begins at 18 or anything, but that's?

*rubs eyes*

Whatever.

My vote goes for this guy being too young.

* ok, not old, that's the wrong word. 'Moderately established,' maybe.

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
Elijah Newton said:
luvd1 said:
What you lot on about, he's too young? He's only 32. Constantine was only 35 at the start of the hellblazer books. He's one of the only comic book characters who actually aged through out his run.
Yeah, on that - I'm not well versed in the formal canon but I've the Hellblazer in which he celebrates his 40th and really appreciated the character aging. Him as a late-middle aged guy anchors his youth in a time which seems uniquely formative to his character. He was someone who became an adult in the 80s, when first wave punks were old* and yuppies were new. Being born in the 80s pulls him into a completely different set of influences. Sheesh - I mean, at 32 this guy would've turned 18 in 2000? Not to imply that life begins at 18 or anything, but that's?

*rubs eyes*

Whatever.

My vote goes for this guy being too young.

* ok, not old, that's the wrong word. 'Moderately established,' maybe.
Good point, you know. Even I now can't help be think of him as being middle aged and bitter. Man I would love it if they did a "Going for it" episode though. So 80's that you have to read it with a Sony Walkman and watch back to the future right afterwards. It's spooky.

And yes, I had to look up the title for that story. It's over 25 years ago :-D ... Which would make him 60 now. Christ!

Elijah Newton

Sep 17, 2008
luvd1 said:
And yes, I had to look up the title for that story. It's over 25 years ago :-D ... Which would make him 60 now. Christ!
Man, no kidding. Now a 60 year old Constantine? that I'd set aside time to watch.

Hunh. You know, there's no reason they can't have their cake and eat it, too. Constantine was vain enough so I could see himself glamouring himself young (or something). They could actually take the piss out of the vampire / Highlander immortal trope of eternal youth. Only he's not hundreds of years old and (by the standards of many) hasn't made himself young, exactly.

He could have the perspective and experiences of someone who's in his 60s. There's the potential for some amusing dissonance here, though the subtle handling I'd like to see is unlikely given this is NBC.