Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Sets Sail for the Caribbean

Okysho

Sep 12, 2010
I have no problem with this concept. It sounds like a blast, what I do have a problem with is that this isn't Assassin's creed anymore. This is a pirate game. Why does this need the assassin's creed label? Why have we now gone back in time? What does this have to do with Desmond?

Ubisoft could have easily made a completely new game, with new IP with these mechanics and given it a new title and then maybe... "Uses the assassin's creed 3 engine" or something just as easily hype-ful.

As a great man once said "What is it with you and NOT stabbing people?!"

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
arc1991 said:
Captcha: Just Dance...Don't worry Captcha, I WILL! *Harlem Shake*
THIS...IS...SPARTA! *kicks arc1991 into THE PIT for doing that travesty of a dance*

OT: This should prove interesting to say the least. Although I should point out one thing...

NINJA were believed to be assassins...so does this mean we'll be playing as a ninja pirate of sorts? Shouldn't the paradox of that character create a singularity that wipes out all of existance?

Nomad of the Stars

Oct 28, 2012
It'll take a lot to get me into Assassins Creed after Revelations and III, both of which were so severely disappointing I lack any will to finish them. I'm going to just make a educated guess and say it'll not be much good, but I suppose I'll keep a half-eye on it just in case it surprises me.

So all in all, "Meh".

Tahaneira

Social Justice Rogue
Feb 1, 2011
Sounds pretty neat. Hopefully they can deliver, though I'm not sure whether to be excited or apprehensive at the thought of two Assassin's Creed games being released in the same year.

[small]I basically consider Watch Dogs to be an AC game in a modern setting.[/small]

SacremPyrobolum

Dec 11, 2010
I was expecting to see a game like this, it was only a matter of time.

But I never would have suspected that it would be an Assassins Creed game.

I don't see why some people are planning to write off the game just because of its title. Sure, at this point it would make more sense to name the game 'Rouges Creed' to encompass assassins and pirates but I still don't see why this should be an issue. Anyway, we already know that the Assassins guild is not just made up of assassins but also mercenaries, prostitutes, and computer geeks. I don't see anyone complaining about how none of the Templars past the first game weren't actual Templars from the Crusades.

Gregory Wollf

Jun 13, 2011
I'm hoping they can figure out how to make engaging characters now that the veil of intrigue is completely torn down. It worked well in ACI where we had no idea what was going on and everything in Desmond's meta-story was mysterious, new, and exciting. ACII lead to more mystery and made things even more exciting (for me at least) but then nothing happened to take the character or the storyline forward. The events at the end of Brotherhood were another shot at intrigue, but that's where it began to feel contrived. We got to delve into Desmond's past and it was 'artistic' but not engaging or interesting. His mental collapse was a needless detour. In fact, everything after the events of ACII seemed to exist for the sole purpose of making an excuse for making more games with less meaning while attempting to maintain the same level of intrigue. The problem was that 'intrigue' was there only trick. They tried to keep everything all wrapped up in mystery but the mysteries never actually meant anything, nor were they working to some larger resolution. After the revelation of Juno everything was just needless, pointless, and bland fluff.

Desmond was supposed to be the special one, the guy who had learned lifetimes of assassin training and we were all expecting him to scale the walls of Abstergo HQ and beat the living crap out of modern day Templars, starting with Vidik. That would have been a fun and fitting end to the character and the series. Instead Desmond became a nameless, faceless, emotionless vehicle who nobody cared about save for the potential he could have had.

The ending of ACIII was another attempt to be all mysterious and full of intrigue, but nobody cares anymore.

If anyone working on the AC series wants to have some REAL intrigue in their game then they need to do some research in philosophy and actually put something firm behind the veil. They hint at greater truth, but its all smoke and mirrors. The Assassins and the Templars don't actually stand for anything except a reason to kill blokes in a video game. All their hinting about greater causes, religion, meta-truths, and anything else that could have a shred of meaning is simply that, hinting. The hinting is just smoke and mirrors, mind games, mental candy spread a mile wide and 1/2 inch deep. We might as well have no story line and replace it with a series of random combat, mini-games, video cut scenes, and... oh wait...

Part of the problem is that they CAN'T say anything outright lest they break the Prime Directive that comes from being a 'multicultural multifaith organization' namely that they might offend someone.

As far as I'm concerned, they blew it. I was invested in Desmond and while the first two games set him up for incredible potential his adventures, his life, and his sacrifice were meaningless. They could have had a kick ass trilogy and then branched out from there, but they didn't. What can we expect from further games? Probably more of the same and I am tired of it.

Maerx

Sep 15, 2010
Assassin's Creed now a game about Pirates. I have to wonder how are they gonna make enphasis in the naval misions without drying them out. We have to consider that the naval missions were entertaining and interesting because they were a break from monotonous running around not being an assassin, feeling mostly like a Time Squad member.

Splitzi

Apr 29, 2012
DVS BSTrD said:
So instead of hay, will there be piles of gold laying around that I can dive into like Scrooge McDuck?
That would be amazing.

Also, I understand how some people have become disillusioned with the AC games, but they are perhaps my second favorite series of all time behind Mass Effect.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Im still wanting for an AC game set in fuedal Japan, but i think i can hold off for another year if this is what im getting...

Sonofadiddly

Dec 19, 2009
I was upset that AC3 contained so little real assassination missions, but if Sid Meyer's Assassin Pirates is what it was leading to, it makes it all worthwhile. PIRATES.

Carrots_macduff

Jul 13, 2011
glad to see ac progressing further and further away from everything that was awesome about the first game. naval combat was pretty cool, but all this extra bullshit just leaves less room for awesome free running and graceful, acrobatic in your face murder. not impressed ubisoft. unless i know for a certainty that this game has adequate free running, which ac3 did not btw, i wont be buying it

Belaam

Nov 27, 2009
Loved the naval missions of AC3. Would have loved that "at the helm" viewpoint in Port Royale or Pirates! But, if I have to put up with a contrived Assassin's Creed plotline to play more of them, I'm okay with that.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Don't forget to preorder it folks! *sigh*

As cool as it might well turn out to roam the seas as a pirate-assassin, it still just feels too soon. I've been over it before but this whole yearly release schedule grates on me a bit. I like at least a few years in between games in a series to actually have enough time to start looking forward to it.

Excludos

Sep 14, 2008
Assassin's Creed is turning into pokemon. Every time I turn around they've added a new game. I honestly can't keep up anymore, even thought I'm trying my best. A new game pr year? Why not give your poor developers a few weeks without massive cruchtime so they can make a better game?

Don't get me wrong, all Assassin's Creed games have been good, but they have never been truly great. This is why.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
8-Bit_Jack said:
Yeah... I don't care about this game. I will likely never buy it.
AC3 was terrible, and I just don't see the story going anywhere I care to explore. Ubisoft's overextension of the series and the money-grubbing ways it's been doled out (excised game parts sold as expansions, "what if" DLC being put out in pay-per-episode format, etc) have just killed any goodwill I have left for the series.

And frankly, as fun as the naval missions were, there should be MORE of them, not a game ABOUT them. Either the series trademark assassinations will suffer, or the ships stuff will become monotonous, like the Great Sea in Wind Waker.
That's the thing...the story isn't going anywhere, it ended with AC3. This is a new story, with a new character, no Desmond.

No Desmond holding the story back, and no modern day character. Which is what this game has needed for a LONG time.

userwhoquitthesite

Jul 23, 2009
arc1991 said:
8-Bit_Jack said:
Yeah... I don't care about this game. I will likely never buy it.
AC3 was terrible, and I just don't see the story going anywhere I care to explore. Ubisoft's overextension of the series and the money-grubbing ways it's been doled out (excised game parts sold as expansions, "what if" DLC being put out in pay-per-episode format, etc) have just killed any goodwill I have left for the series.

And frankly, as fun as the naval missions were, there should be MORE of them, not a game ABOUT them. Either the series trademark assassinations will suffer, or the ships stuff will become monotonous, like the Great Sea in Wind Waker.
That's the thing...the story isn't going anywhere, it ended with AC3. This is a new story, with a new character, no Desmond.

No Desmond holding the story back, and no modern day character. Which is what this game has needed for a LONG time.
You mean, an abandonment of the series framing device which drove the greater narrative forward? How does that help the series? The story in Screed 2, Brotherhood, and 3 was GARBAGE. The only narrative worth exploring in those games WAS desmond's and the only reason this was a series, instead of pointless stabbity adventures

Ezio is a terrible human being who learns nothing through his games, until suddenly in Revelations he is a Wise Mentor.
Connor is a self-absorbed pissant who learns LESS than nothing: Unlike Ezio who counted his revenge and Assassin goals separately, Connor instead decides his personal vengeance is RIGHTEOUS, and becomes more entitled as the game continues. with the minor exception of Revelations, which polished Ezio's gameplay and had a decent story, the assassin's creed sequels have been exceptionally poor, either from design, story, or both (AC3).

It's a bullshit series with two good games out of THIRTEEN. It had promise, and squandered it.

Undead Dragon King

Evil Spacefaring Mantis
Apr 25, 2008
Okay, with Assassin's Creed, we had Templar knights.
With Assassin's Creed 4, now we've got Templar pirates.
Now we just need Assassin's Creed 5's Templar vikings to complete the set.