Assassin's Creed: Liberation HD Coming to Consoles Next Year

Michael Epstein

Sep 9, 2013
Assassin's Creed: Liberation HD Coming to Consoles Next Year

Assassin's Creed III: Liberation, last year's Vita spin-off of Assassin's Creed III, is officially getting a HD makeover.

Assassin's Creed: Liberation HD - they took the "III" out of the title - will be headed to the Xbox 360, PS3 and PC in 2014. The announcement comes shortly after a leaked image [http://kotaku.com/leaked-image-listing-two-more-assassins-creeds-endwar-1265849387] from a Ubisoft press event outed a slew of unannounced games, including Liberation HD.

Unlike most ports or HD remakes, Liberation HD is being developed by the same team that created the original, Ubisoft Sofia. Associate producer Momchil Gindyanov told Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/hooray-a-revamped-assassins-creed-liberation-is-comi-1281122829] that this game isn't just a visual overhaul: The developer plans to smooth out some of the game's technical issues, reworking missions, level layouts and enemy AI. Since the game is headed to PS3 and Xbox 360, the Vita's touch-based controls will be retooled for standard controllers.

We thought Assassin's Creed III: Liberation was a decent approximation of the Assassin's Creed experience, but lacked the nuanced storytelling found in the rest of the series. Check out our review [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/10031-Assassins-Creed-III-Liberation-Review] for the full story.

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/hooray-a-revamped-assassins-creed-liberation-is-comi-1281122829]

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Well that was unexpected...Wonder if that means we are getting 2 AC titles next year...>.>

Never got a chance to play the handheld version, so ill be picking this up, plus female assassin! Wooooo!

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
That's the one set in New Orleans, right?

Has anyone here played it? Was it any good?

Killer_tom

Oct 5, 2012
Zhukov said:

I did play it, I found it a good game had nice story and the persona aspect was pretty good as well.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
arc1991 said:
Never got a chance to play the handheld version, so ill be picking this up, plus female assassin! Wooooo!
Same. I'll wait for an official port review, but if they're using the AC3 engine it will be a really good experience. It always makes me sad when big installments come to handhelds I don't have (looking at you, SquareEnix).

Ubisoft gets chided for riding the AssCreed money train so hard, but I don't really think anyone can knock them for their characters or story telling. It'll be nice for the mass market to get a taste of an actual female character, written with a solid time period to frame her in. Let's just hope they actually put her on the box cover -__-

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Well, this is becoming a Disturbing Trend: First Konami with their Resident Evil game from the 3DS Going Multiplat on Consoles, then Nintendo doing a Console Sequel (Super Mario 3D World) to a Handheld Title (Super Mario 3D Land), and now this. Kind of makes me worried about how close we are to a new Video Game Market Crash.

Of course, all three of them are or are going to be fun, but it still makes me worried.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Mcoffey said:
Mr.Mattress said:
Well, this is becoming a Disturbing Trend: First Konami with their Resident Evil game from the 3DS Going Multiplat on Consoles, then Nintendo doing a Console Sequel (Super Mario 3D World) to a Handheld Title (Super Mario 3D Land), and now this. Kind of makes me worried about how close we are to a new Video Game Market Crash.

Of course, all three of them are or are going to be fun, but it still makes me worried.
That's kind of a leap, dont you think? What makes you think it's indicative of a crash?
A little bit, but here's my reasoning: There have never ever been Handheld to Console Ports. In fact, it's been the other way around since the Sega Game Gear Days. However, all three of these companies have been struggling lately; Some more then others, but all three have. If they weren't struggling, we would have had a new Resident Evil and a New Assasins Creed for all Consoles and a New Mario game for the WiiU. However, since they are struggling, they're obviously trying to do the cheap thing, which would be to release the same game, but put it in HD and on Discs.

That's why I am worried.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Mr.Mattress said:
A little bit, but here's my reasoning: There have never ever been Handheld to Console Ports. In fact, it's been the other way around since the Sega Game Gear Days. However, all three of these companies have been struggling lately; Some more then others, but all three have. If they weren't struggling, we would have had a new Resident Evil and a New Assasins Creed for all Consoles and a New Mario game for the WiiU. However, since they are struggling, they're obviously trying to do the cheap thing, which would be to release the same game, but put it in HD and on Discs.

That's why I am worried.
That's not really indicative of a crash persay, and more of a business mentality of "how many pennies can we squeeze from this style of game before having to do something else."
While some companies are indeed in a tough spot, the fact that this is more common is because businesses like money, and why come up with a new idea and waste even more money when you can simply just port and slap on the old HD sticker on the box to get people to buy it.
Companies see it as a quick buck in a way, and for the most part it is that way. Plus there have been console ports of handhelds in the past, or does no one remember Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories and Angry Birds (iOS devices are technically handhelds and it was released on iOS first in 2009).

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
So they don't put it on the only console with a touch-screen, the Wii U? Ubisoft!

Although, I'll probably get this on PC anyway. I want to experience the game without having to put up with incredibly bad aliasing and frame-drops when so much as a fly comes on screen.

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
Zhukov said:

I recently played through it, and I liked it. A lot better than AssCreed 3, it's probably my 4th favourite AC game.

The touch and camera gimmicks sucked though, but those will obviously be removed out of this update.