Assassin's Creed Rogue Review - Black Flag Too

Encaen

May 6, 2005
Assassin's Creed Rogue Review - Black Flag Too

Ubisoft?s Assassin?s Creed Rogue is all the fun of Black Flag, but with new characters and locations to explore.

Read Full Article

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
The story of this one sounds a lot more interesting than many of the other games. I've never understood why no one ever seems to sympathize with the Templars so it'll be cool to play through a game as one of them. I loved AC4 so more of the same is perfectly fine to me. Being a pirate was so much fun.

Razorback0z

Feb 10, 2009
If this would have come out while my Black Flag micro was still hot, I would have bought it. As it is I have Far Cry 4 on the go and Inquisition waiting, next to the PS4, life is good and Rogue can wait for the bargain bin in January.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
Razorback0z said:
If this would have come out while my Black Flag micro was still hot, I would have bought it. As it is I have Far Cry 4 on the go and Inquisition waiting, next to the PS4, life is good and Rogue can wait for the bargain bin in January.
I am going to be waiting longer for the almost guaranteed PC/XB1/PS4 HD re=release of the game. Granted I skipped Black Flag because I am really burnt out on the Assassin's Creed yearly release cycle especially with how Assassin's Creed 3 left me feeling about the franchise, but I probably will pick up Black Flag during a Steam Sale this year.

Mr Fixit

Oct 22, 2008
I rented this the first weekend it came out & it is quite good. Didn't finish it, but got about 50% completion over 24 hours of gameplay & I only encountered one glitch that was just kinda funny.

I actually like Shay & his reason for switching sides is a little bit more justifiable than just "whining about people dying". I will be buying this one as soon as I have the money to spare.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Last gen (which is my gen) release with a good review, good rating and a Black Flag recommendation? YES.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
It looked like a more interesting title from the beginning. But of course it can't be as good as Black Flag. It made sense for Edward to have a ship and engage in a lot of naval combat. I doubt the experience will be the same in Rogue. This game exists because Ubisoft is greedy and this is an easy product to make, market and sell. It doesn't exist because Ubisoft had something important to do with the story.

Sanunes said:
I am going to be waiting longer for the almost guaranteed PC/XB1/PS4 HD re=release of the game.
PC version is coming in early 2015. It was announced a while ago. Knowing Ubisoft, PS4/Xbone will follow.

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
...if you're feeling particularly ambitious, you can actually tag a guard with a rope dart from a tree branch and hop off the other side, hauling him up as you descend. It may not be the most subtle approach to assassination, but what's a professionally trained killer without a bit of flair?
I'm pretty sure we've been able to do that since at least AC3...

Anyway, this is going to come off as picky, but you know what Black Flag had? Colour. The Carribean was beautiful. From desert island to jungle foliage to raw cliffs to the deep blue diving sequences - the world just felt alive. In Rogue... I see frozen landscape after frozen landscape from the pre-release material. Can anyone tell me if there is a bit more variety than that?

In any case, I won't be getting this any time soon. Inquisition is the next big buy for me, and I've then still got Watch_Dogs and Dark Souls 2 on my to-do list..

ShinobiJedi42

May 7, 2012
I'm about halfway through Rogue and I have to say, it has the best story in the entire series so far. Shay's transition from Assassin to Templar is very emotional and interesting as he must make conscious choices to hunt and kill his close friends. And as someone who thoroughly enjoyed Black Flag, Rogue is a pretty good successor. Still very broken and unpolished, but not nearly as badly as what I've heard of Unity. I'll experience it first hand when I get an Xbox One in December.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
The_Darkness said:
Anyway, this is going to come off as picky, but you know what Black Flag had? Colour. The Carribean was beautiful. From desert island to jungle foliage to raw cliffs to the deep blue diving sequences - the world just felt alive. In Rogue... I see frozen landscape after frozen landscape from the pre-release material. Can anyone tell me if there is a bit more variety than that?
Well, Rogue has three main maps. One is the frozen Northern Atlantic, which yeah, is filled with ice and more ice. This is the map where most of the naval combat takes place and where there are some smaller shore locations.

Then you have the River Valley, which is a system of rivers and islands, which you can navigate with your ship where there is some room for naval exploits (some forts, for example). This is a very green area with big woodlands and rural settlements.

And last there is New York, the big city map. No snow there either.

So yeah, overall not as green as Black Flag, but personally I enjoyed the variation of locales. I must say, sailing the frozen oceans with the northern lights over my sails was an absolute joy to me. Also, the shore locations felt more alive and hand-crafted to me than they did in Black Flag. For example, forts weren't that copy-paste as they were in Black Flag.

Personally, I really enjoyed Rogue. The introduction of stalkers and the new additions to the combat were great. Sure, it was Black Flag 1.5, but it was more of a good thing. When I finally get my hands on Unity, I seriously doubt I'll enjoy it as much as this.

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
I've had a lot of fun 99%-ing this game. Stalkers are great and ship combat is as satisfying as ever. Shae is simply a badass, and some of the missions (Lisbon!) are among the best I've seen in any AC game.

Just... that BLOODY Storm Fortress. I've died trying to take it down about 50 times now and it's the one thing I still need to do to get 100%, I unlocked everything else.

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
Glad this was posted - I hadn't heard this game even existed. Might have to look it up if any sales happen over the holidays.

LittleMikey

Renegade
Aug 31, 2009
Shjade said:
Glad this was posted - I hadn't heard this game even existed. Might have to look it up if any sales happen over the holidays.
Same! I haven't heard of this game before. Is it like a mini-sequel or something? I have no idea o_O

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
LittleMikey said:
Same! I haven't heard of this game before. Is it like a mini-sequel or something? I have no idea o_O
It takes place after Black Flag, and it's kinda a prequel to both AC III and Unity and features characters from all three.

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
LittleMikey said:
Shjade said:
It's a full game taking place chronologically between Black Flag and AC III, but also has some minor ties to Unity.

It also more or less wraps up the modern day story from Black Flag.

I have no idea though why Ubisoft thought it a good idea to release it the same time as Unity, they should have released this "now" and kept working on Unity for another month or two to iron out the myriad bugs. Rogue is pretty much bug free and a good game.

LittleMikey

Renegade
Aug 31, 2009
erbkaiser said:
LittleMikey said:
Shjade said:
It's a full game taking place chronologically between Black Flag and AC III, but also has some minor ties to Unity.

I have no idea though why Ubisoft thought it a good idea to release it the same time as Unity, they should have released this "now" and kept working on Unity for another month or two to iron out the myriad bugs. Rogue is pretty much bug free and a good game.
Yeah it's a real weird move from an economical standpoint, I had no clue that it existed because advertising and reviews are only on Unity.

DonTsetsi

May 22, 2009
LittleMikey said:
erbkaiser said:
LittleMikey said:
Shjade said:

Yeah it's a real weird move from an economical standpoint, I had no clue that it existed because advertising and reviews are only on Unity.
It's been done by a different studio, so it didn't take resources from Unity.For some reason Ubisoft decided that the products of the Sofia studio are not as important, even though they seem to turn out better. Maybe it's because of how much cheaper labor is here.

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
DonTsetsi said:
It's been done by a different studio, so it didn't take resources from Unity.For some reason Ubisoft decided that the products of the Sofia studio are not as important, even though they seem to turn out better. Maybe it's because of how much cheaper labor is here.
Sure, from a production standpoint it makes sense. It absolutely killed any marketing chance for Rogue though, people just don't know it exists.