Assassin's Creed Unity Provides A New Narrative Start

Valkrex

Elder Dragon
Jan 6, 2013
Silentpony said:
Unless Unity is about Pinkie Pie and Luke Skywalker fighting the Cavity Creeps on Cybertron using proton packs I sincerely doubt they're going in a new narrative direction or starting a new narrative all together.

Hands up if you think its a game about genetic memories about an ancient assassin order doing a whole bunch of stuff in one or another classical setting.
I didn't realize how much I wanted that game until you described it.

OT: This is the AAA game industry, so its more likely this is just PR fluff covering up the fact that they're just making the exact same game again with the same story but with new (i.e. clones of previous) characters, prettier lightning and in France. I REALLY want them to do a good job though, and make a PC version that's worth playing for once, as the French Revolution is a very interesting and chaotic point in Western History along with being a fantastic setting for this kind of game. I want to see it done well, but Ubisoft has been dropping the ball SO hard lately I can't really get excited for another Assassins game.

Elberik

Apr 26, 2011
They should go east for the next game. China and/or Japan would be fantastic! Besides, they're running out of time periods wherein the traditional game-play style makes sense.

Although, I'm calling it now, the next game will likely be set in London during the Industrial Revolution.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Vault101 said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Based on the kids shows I've watched, I'd wager it is more of a kids show thing.

But then, female protagonists in media are so often either the insufferable know-it-all or there to get in trouble, so it could go either way.
also in a some kids shows I remember the female charachter is often "love interest with no dicernable personality other than "nice""
She's usually also there to get into trouble. Usually. So basically she's a permutation of the latter.

zombiejoe said:
circularlogic88 said:
So we're not setting up fighting evil ghost-lady that Desmond stupidly unleashed at the conclusion of Assassin's Creed 3?
Oh come on now, it's not like they never had female assassins. The way Unity handled the topic was poor, but there have been playable female assassins before, it's not something that the fans never experienced.
Did you quote the wrong person? Your response speak to female characters, but the poster you quoted was asking about fighting against a character set up in 3 because they may be dropping that arc entirely. These are two different issues.

Unless, of course, it's also being dropped because it would be too costly. Then there might be a parallel.

ambitiousmould said:
The whole present-day setting in AC is shit anyway. Would anyone really have complained if, upon realising that it is stupid, they just didn't do any present day narrative from say, AC 2 or 3 onwards. If they completely ignored it and just set the games entirely in the time period that they were mostly set in. I know I wouldn't have.
I sure as hell wouldn't mind.

Dominic Crossman

Apr 15, 2013
Shit plotlines annoy me,
abandoned plotlines piss me off more though.
Just give the modern day plot an ending or at least some sort of resolution please, even if it's just some throw away dialouge.

truckspond

Oct 26, 2013
Dominic Crossman said:
Shit plotlines annoy me,
abandoned plotlines piss me off more though.
Just give the modern day plot an ending or at least some sort of resolution please, even if it's just some throw away dialouge.
That's exactly what I was going to say. You can't start that particular story, have those events occur and then just be like "We won't even acknowledge it's existence anymore!" - even if the "It was all a dream" thing gets pulled out then I will happy as long as we get some closure to that story!