Assassin's Creed: Unity's Season Pass Has Been Cancelled

Ambient_Malice

Sep 22, 2014
seditary said:
Ambient_Malice said:
seditary said:
Ambient_Malice said:
seditary said:
Surely in some regions it'd be the law that they'd have to provide a refund instead of just exchanging it for something else?
I don't see why they'd be obliged to refund since you're still getting the content you paid for. It's just that everyone else now gets it for free, and you get a free game on top of that.
No they aren't. People bought a season pass, its been cancelled, they don't have an option to get their money back.
Not precisely. The season pass is no longer being sold. Those who have the season pass are still recieving the DLC they paid for, and on top of this they now get a free game.
No they aren't. They're only getting one piece of DLC, which is being given free to every owner of the game, not just people who bought the season pass. Unless you're somehow trying to falsely argue that the season pass was $30 for just the Dead Kings pack.
I'm gonna argue the Season Pass was for Dead Kings. Unless evidence surfaces that Ubi had more DLC planned.
kajinking said:
Ok question: I'm working my way through the Creed series the first was rock solid and so was the second, I've just hit brotherhood and only fallen through the world once.

My question is this: just HOW bad is this gonna get? It sounds like they get worse bug-wise as you progress so I want to get a good idea of just how unstable this series gets.

I was planning on getting Revalations and 3 this steam sale but at this rate I may just bail on this series now.
AC3 is very buggy, but IMO it's the best game in the series. AC4's many bugs were mostly fixed, IIRC.

Bugs in games are very YMMV. Take Bethesda games. The fix lists for the unofficial patches are mind boggling. Hundreds, even thousands of bugs ranging from moderate to fatal. But you get people who finish games without any major bugs showing up. I'm one of those people completed Battlefield 4 without a single major bug.

The AC series becomes more ambitious with each game, and as a result, you get a lot of obscure bugs. AC3 has some bugs on PC which break fast travel from time to time. Cos, y'know, it's not as if anyone uses fast travel.

The Bucket

May 4, 2010
Ambient_Malice said:
seditary said:
Ambient_Malice said:
seditary said:
Ambient_Malice said:
seditary said:
Surely in some regions it'd be the law that they'd have to provide a refund instead of just exchanging it for something else?
I don't see why they'd be obliged to refund since you're still getting the content you paid for. It's just that everyone else now gets it for free, and you get a free game on top of that.
No they aren't. People bought a season pass, its been cancelled, they don't have an option to get their money back.
Not precisely. The season pass is no longer being sold. Those who have the season pass are still recieving the DLC they paid for, and on top of this they now get a free game.
No they aren't. They're only getting one piece of DLC, which is being given free to every owner of the game, not just people who bought the season pass. Unless you're somehow trying to falsely argue that the season pass was $30 for just the Dead Kings pack.
I'm gonna argue the Season Pass was for Dead Kings. Unless evidence surfaces that Ubi had more DLC planned.
kajinking said:
Ok question: I'm working my way through the Creed series the first was rock solid and so was the second, I've just hit brotherhood and only fallen through the world once.

My question is this: just HOW bad is this gonna get? It sounds like they get worse bug-wise as you progress so I want to get a good idea of just how unstable this series gets.

I was planning on getting Revalations and 3 this steam sale but at this rate I may just bail on this series now.
AC3 is very buggy, but IMO it's the best game in the series. AC4's many bugs were mostly fixed, IIRC.

Bugs in games are very YMMV. Take Bethesda games. The fix lists for the unofficial patches are mind boggling. Hundreds, even thousands of bugs ranging from moderate to fatal. But you get people who finish games without any major bugs showing up. I'm one of those people completed Battlefield 4 without a single major bug.

The AC series becomes more ambitious with each game, and as a result, you get a lot of obscure bugs. AC3 has some bugs on PC which break fast travel from time to time. Cos, y'know, it's not as if anyone uses fast travel.
They promised way more for the Season Pass than Dead Kings
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83gmiey7S7w
"From a new campaign called Dead Kings, to additional missions and over 30 pieces of new gear and weapons, the Season Pass will give you new objectives to complete and more areas to explore for an even bigger and better Assassin?s Creed Unity experience"

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
ShirowShirow said:
This is one of the few cases where I see the "Torch it and run" approach big publishers often take towards stuff like this to be a positive.

Unity will go down in history as garbage. There's not much that can be done about that.
This is just spraying gas on a fire, though. I mean, they're abandoning support for the people who paid in extra money, and their end reward is a game from a limited list of titles. No refunds, because that's our glorious digital future, but a list of games. I'd be SOL, for example, simply because everything I'm interested in on that list I own.

Ubisoft has given me even less reason to invest in them now, and I can't see this move helping the PR with the folks who were already on board.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
I just love that disembodied horse-head man has become the default image for any future article of AC Unity. Next gen, everyone!

Ambient_Malice

Sep 22, 2014
The Bucket said:
Ambient_Malice said:
seditary said:
Ambient_Malice said:
seditary said:
Ambient_Malice said:
seditary said:
kajinking said:

They promised way more for the Season Pass than Dead Kings
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83gmiey7S7w
"From a new campaign called Dead Kings, to additional missions and over 30 pieces of new gear and weapons, the Season Pass will give you new objectives to complete and more areas to explore for an even bigger and better Assassin?s Creed Unity experience"
Haven't players already received those "additional missions", though?

http://assassinscreed.ubi.com/en-us/dlc/assassins-creed-unity-seasonpass.aspx

The grey area is the 30 extra pieces of equipment, but those could be included in Dead Kings.

I'm not convinced Ubisoft have lied here.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
This is going to be a bad year for Ubi. It's going to be hard for customers to trust them after the dissapointment of Watchdogs, and the utter fundamentally broken Unity. Unless they do something big, that isn't Assassins creed, they might have a bad lead into next year.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
dragongit said:
This is going to be a bad year for Ubi. It's going to be hard for customers to trust them after the dissapointment of Watchdogs, and the utter fundamentally broken Unity. Unless they do something big, that isn't Assassins creed, they might have a bad lead into next year.
Far Cry 4 was met with generally positive feedback (but IMO that's not enough to save their reputation)

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
Steven Bogos said:
dragongit said:
Far Cry 4 was met with generally positive feedback (but IMO that's not enough to save their reputation)
Oh, right I forgot about Far Cry 4. Well at least they have that going for them. Seems we know where their A team is. Well seems they have at least one saving grace for this year... so long as they don't plan to make that their yearly pump out title...

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Anyone else think that that picture looks like the aliens from They Live?

OT: So, the Titanic is sinking and everybody's going for the lifeboats, but they have to placate about a million people before those sorry asses in charge get wind of safety. Eh heh... Pick up that violin and play, Ubisoft. It's too late for you.

Ambient_Malice

Sep 22, 2014
Soviet Heavy said:
Did they cancel all the DLC for Unity, or just the Season Pass?
AFAIK, no DLC has been cancelled. I suspect some people are confused about pre-order DLC and such. From the looks of it, Ubi promised "Dead Kings", and that was it. People still get the DLC.

This reminds me of how some people can't stand the fact pre-order DLC gets released later for free or for a small fee.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Ouch. Just...ouch. That is not a good sign for the game. I know a few of my friends who bought this and I haven't really seen them playing it after the first time, but I had no idea it was this bad.

grigjd3

Mar 4, 2011
So I guess it would be too much to ask that they provide a refund for the failure to deliver on a promised good, eh? Good thing I gave up on this game series at number two.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
It must be considered a lost cause for fixing soon if they are doing this. Its nevertheless a good move whatever the people who'll call foul whatever is done say.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
Wow. They're abandoning ship faster than I thought.

Sucks for those, and despite the free game, I'd be pretty angry if I wasn't offered a choice between that or rather my money back.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
i guess i can consider my self luck to get my money refunded after pre ordering the gold edition from origin. as much as i have enjoyed the series, yes even revelations and liberty, hearing about all these problems really stops me from getting the game. even the retail version. how do i know if i will be one of the lucky once who have no problems what so ever or the unlucky once. i sure will not spend my money on it to find out.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Im sure something is missing from this article. Canceling a product and not offering refund for people who have ordered it is illegal and i doubt Ubisoft would go that far shafting consumers. im sure the OP merelly forgot to mention the money refund option, right?

kajinking said:
Lets just say that when bugs (see thumbnail) become the first thing you think about when you hear the series name - it gets pretty bad.

dont get me wrong, they arent the only games with bugs. there were plenty of game breaking bugs in skyrim - yet people dont remember skyrim for its bugs. because it was more than just bugs. Unity though, not really. Bugs was the most interesting part.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Strazdas said:
Im sure something is missing from this article. Canceling a product and not offering refund for people who have ordered it is illegal and i doubt Ubisoft would go that far shafting consumers.
Speak for your own jurisdiction.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
And this is why Season Passes are bullshit and people should never buy them. You're never guaranteed anything and you have no idea when you'll get it - and from what I'm given to understand, the Season Pass for AC:U sold quite well, thus ensuring that not a damn soul will buy the next Assassin's Creed game's Season Pass and Ubisoft will blame it not selling on retailers 'not properly explaining the Season Pass' to their customers, thus learning absolutely nothing.

Ubisoft just needs to stop putting out an Assassin's Creed game every year and take the time to make a quality title.

Ambient_Malice

Sep 22, 2014
Let's get something clear. People who bought a Season Pass will be getting EXACTLY what they paid for. Ubisoft isn't taking DLC away from anyone. They're giving DLC to everyone for free, and are giving SP owners a free game on top of that. They're also patching the game, with 1.3 rolling out right now and a performance-related patch coming sometime in the near future.

No laws have been broken, arguably. Ubisoft's horrific crime is giving people free DLC as an apology. How diabolical.