Assumptions People Make About You... Which Drive You Crazy

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
The Plunk said:
"You like metal? Do you like Nirvana/Green Day/Slipknot/[other shitty mainstream rockband that no self-respecting metal head would ever refer to as "metal"]"
And no self respecting rock fan would call those bands metal.

The same for AC/DC.

Edit: Also, slipknot isn't music. It's noise with people talking about emo BS that vaguely resembles a tune if the tune was wrung through an industrial drier and then used to strain tea.

Aarowbeatsdragon

Jan 27, 2012
That im gay because i have long hair (i like women)
That im an emo because i have long hair
That i dont eat because i only weigh 8 stone (i eat more than anyone i know)
That im an alchoholic because im irish.
That i do drugs.
That i smooke.
Yeah...all of that...most of it cause of my hair -.-

rednose1

Oct 11, 2009
Well, I am half white, half black, but with straight black hair. Everytime I meet someone new, I can see in the back of their minds them trying to ask my ethnicity. I tend to play around, when they ask where I am from/my parents from, I just give my hometown.

Ethnicities I've been accused of being: Mexican, Spanish, Brazilian, Native American, Indian, philipino, eskimo, pacific islands in all their variations, and countless others.

My buds joke that I'm a "racial chamelon". All I need to blend in anywhere is a change of clothes and accent.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
The Plunk said:
Binnsyboy said:
The Plunk said:
"You like metal? Do you like Nirvana/Green Day/Slipknot/[other shitty mainstream rockband that no self-respecting metal head would ever refer to as "metal"]"
And no self respecting rock fan would call those bands metal.

The same for AC/DC.

Edit: Also, slipknot isn't music. It's noise with people talking about emo BS that vaguely resembles a tune if the tune was wrung through an industrial drier and then used to strain tea.
Well, that's my point. The idiots that say this are the ones who assume that every band that has an electric guitar in it is the same.
Well, I would agree with you and rant angrily, but I'm a little drained today in terms of rage against the musically retarded. I saw a troll thing comparing Justin Beiber to Slash, that was being taken seriously by JB fans.

YingDerpington

Apr 23, 2012
80% of the people that know me assume i'm gay... And I fit none of the stereotypes. It pisses me off. The only reason I can think of that would cause this is the fact that I don't pursue women...

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
That because I wear hoodies a lot I am ashamed of my body image, or a slacker.

I dont care that I look like the Pillsbury Dough boy, also I am entering my final year of getting a BA in history.

Its annoying that people think that one single item defines you.

3quency

Jun 12, 2009
I've apparently never had a girlfriend and play chess to a master's level.

Oh wait, neither of those are true.

Athol

Sep 15, 2010
I'm a late 20's caucasian male with blue eyes and close very short hair, who happens to wear alot of dark shirts with scary images (mostly t-shirts from metal merch booths), thus I MUST be some sort of neo-nazi KKK racist or something.

Amusing realated story.

One summer went to meet up with a friend after he got off work, we where going to go for drinks with some of his coworkers. I'm waiting outside while they close up when some random old lady starts harping on me about how skin colour is not an indicator of someones worth and such. I did my best to ingnore her until the others came out. At least she had the decency to look embaressed when I greeted them. For clarifiacation my friend is Inuit, and his two co-workers where black (one was actually born in Africa the other Canada).

Seagoon

Feb 14, 2010
CyborgGinger said:
I'm born and bred British but currently I'm living in Turkey. The assumption people make about me the most (and then promptly communicate to me) is:

"So you're a Christian, right?"

I'm not a Christian and, even if I were, this assumption would still annoy me because it's made simply because I am white and Western. I suppose I can't fault them for saying it, if you're Turkish the assumption is you are a Muslim - regardless of your lifestyle and actual personal beliefs - so for a lot of Turks they just translate this thinking to foreign nationals too.

So, with that said, what assumptions do people make about you as a person, which greatly annoy you?
Are you an Atheist, then or a Muslim? (Or any other religion)

OT: I'm really into acting. I have an agent and I attend acting school and I really enjoy acting. A lot of people assume that because of this, I am a hipster, drama queen, Thespian and gay.. Mostly before they've met me..

theevilgenius60

Jun 28, 2011
People tend to think I'm either from California,or the west coast in general(nope, I've only ever been there once and I'm from Mississippi). I also get people thinking I'm ~10 years younger than I am. That's not as bad(I do have youthful features in my face and a fairly athletic build), but occasionally I get the whole "you wouldn't get the joke" thing going on and I have to tell them that I'm older than they are. That's usually as amusing as it sounds. Also, people assume that, because I like video games and tech, I probably hate the outdoors(specifically the beach, it always comes up). Why can't someone enjoy both? Or is the stereotype of the never-see-the-sun-gamer too entrenched in the general consciousness?

Jolly Co-operator

A Heavy Sword
Mar 10, 2012
People in my class seem to assume that just because I don't date much, and don't stare at the chest/ass of every girl that walks by, I MUST be homosexual. It's kind of annoying, but it's gotten to the point where I just sort of ambiguously roll with it for shits and giggles. Oh-ho, the wacky times of high school :D

People also assume that I know a lot about computers just because I wear glasses and play video games. (For the record, I barely know anything about computers)

People also tend to assume that just because I wear black shirts almost all the time, I must be "emo". In addition to just being a flat-out ridiculous generalization, black isn't even my favorite color, damn it! (It's purple, btw)

Master_of_Oldskool

Sep 5, 2008
My family doesn't seem to realize that I've changed as a person since I was twelve, and so they all assume I have the same likes, dislikes, and ambitions as I did then. What particularly annoys me is that my technophobic grandmother constantly bitches at me because I want to be a game developer... despite the fact that I've wanted to be an English teacher for years.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
Pick any Scouse stereotype and i've had them all aimed at me.

Also a massive Liverpool fan complete with crest tattoo .... apparently that makes me a football hooligan.

No, just no.

Stomping on your head when you tell me you support Man U makes me a football hooligan not my precious tattoo.

TakeyB0y2

A Mistake
Jun 24, 2011
When girls discover that I'm gay, they tend to flock to me looking for a "gay best friend" expecting stereotypical gay-best-friend things. Like going shopping, me giving them fashion advice and having a guy they can go to gay bars/clubs with.

I'm a socially awkward dorkus who loves gaming and building computers, knows fuck-all about fashion and hates clubs, bars and drinking in general.

I guess you can say I'm a disappointing gay best friend [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYLdM8wXkzM].

WaysideMaze

The Butcher On Your Back
Apr 25, 2010
IamQ said:
JanatUrlich said:
I'm vain because I wear make up.
I have low self esteem because I sleep around.
I'm stupid because I have a Mancunian accent.

Just general bullshit like that.
Your-what-accent? Sorry, I'm Swedish, so I've never heard of that one.

OT: I got nothing.
mancunian accent means she's from Manchester. I'm from Preston, so have a prestonian accent, although I usually just say I sound northern. Just a way British people refer to their regional dialects.

OT I'm a 6ft heavily built, heavily tattooed skinhead with a big beard. I usually get followed by security around shops and sometimes get funny looks. Makes me laugh usually.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
A few:

- I'm a Nazi (completely untrue. I have mostly German ancestry, yes, but I hold no Nazi ideals)
- I'm a gun toting war lover (This largely comes from my love of my country. I own no guns, nor plan to [have fired a few once though], and I don't love war. I know a lot of it due to movies, the History Channel, and reading up on it, but I don't love it [I do see how it can be necessary]. Speaking of...)
- I'm smart (this one seems to stem from the fact that I read a lot and I'm a nerdy loser. My report cards would however say otherwise, and would my own personal opinion.)
- I'm a drug user/smoker (this stems from me being ungodly thin, very pale, often cough a lot, often tired, and because pretty much everyone at my school was a druggie)