Asteria Takes 2D Mining Action to Space

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Asteria Takes 2D Mining Action to Space

Asteria doesn't have time to dig through mountains block by block - just blow it up and get back to the action.

Technology in games like Minecraft generally doesn't stray too far from medieval-level tools. But what would mining and crafting look like with more modern, or even futuristic, equipment? Asteria, an indie craft-em-up with a focus on action, answers this question with lasers - lots of lasers. The game is unashamedly inspired by fellow indie mining side-scroller Terraria, but with a refreshing dose of efficient technology and ranged combat in its sci-fi reimagining of a fully-destructible sandbox world.

Everything in Asteria is faster-paced than you may have come to expect. Rather than laboriously tunneling through blocks of terrain, you'll be carving through the environment with powerful ranged mining tools from the get-go. Combat is also entirely ranged, invoking some elements from classic action platformers like Metroid and Megaman. Other conveniences like practically limitless inventory space and a lack of death penalties ensure that you're always ready to jump back into the action, when some other games might have you deliberating over full pockets or searching for lost gear.

Asteria is available as a discount-price beta at Steam Greenlight campaign [http://playasteria.com/] in the works. Notably, the game's code is open-source and the full release will include modding tools for the community to use as it will. If it strikes your fancy, there's a whole hostile alien world of opportunity out there.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Isn't this just Terraria in space? Like the Terraria guys are already doing with Starbound? It's funny that the only thing that makes this game orignal is already being done by the guys they are taking inspiration from.

Could just be coincidence, but either way I am terrariad out for a good long while. See you in Summer Sale 2015.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well it looks functional for the most part and they picked up the right ideas from similar games, I don't mind them doing so because Terraria was a great start but that game style can still grow leaps and bounds.

So the question is if this will bring the much needed content or be forgotten.

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
This actually looks alright, as someone who's spent 200+ hours in terraria I can get behind this.

I mean, I wont be buying it anytime soon because starbound exists and appeals to my tastes a lot more.
1337mokro said:
Isn't this just Terraria in space? Like the Terraria guys are already doing with Starbound?
One of the original Terraria artists is heading up the starbound project, but that's about it. Redigit is actually working on Terraria again and is finishing up another massive content patch bigger than 1.1.

This other game looks to be more action-oriented and fast paced, rather than the slower methodical mining / movement style we've seen from starbound so far.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
No offence, but it looks like the developers of this game saw the huge amount of hype that starbound has and decided to put out a starbound - like game before starbound gets out.

Victim of Progress

Jul 11, 2011
I gotta say, this version looks like a poor man's version of Terraria crossed with some Liero. I'm sure the creators put a lot of effort into it, but it doesn't seem that great

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Amaror said:
No offence, but it looks like the developers of this game saw the huge amount of hype that starbound has and decided to put out a starbound - like game before starbound gets out.
And still not the first. Edge of Space is after it too.

Unfortunately, neither title seems to have the same charm and coherent aesthetics Starbound has on display.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
rhizhim said:
1337mokro said:
Isn't this just Terraria in space? Like the Terraria guys are already doing with Starbound? It's funny that the only thing that makes this game orignal is already being done by the guys they are taking inspiration from.

Could just be coincidence, but either way I am terrariad out for a good long while. See you in Summer Sale 2015.
no. its not terraria nor minecraft like.

its a cortex commander clone.

WHY am i the only one who still remembers cortex command in this thread?
Because it's not a cortex commander clone. That was a vs game. Not an exploration game.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
I'm really not a fan of games that piggy-back off the success of previous titles, like all of the Slender man clones and Minecraft-but-with-guns-ermegerdsoorijinul on Greenlight.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
Minecraft is only medieval without mods. I'm currently flying around in power armor armed with a railgun and building up enough power production to eventually build a fusion reactor. Maybe I should look up some nuclear reactor blueprints...