Astronomers Want You to Help Explore Andromeda

Hevva

Shipwrecked, comatose, newsie
Aug 2, 2011
Astronomers Want You to Help Explore Andromeda

Scientists want to get to know the place a little better before we move in.

Currently located about 2.5 million light years from our little planet, the Andromeda galaxy is a feature of the universe that our hopeful descendants are going to get to know really well when it smashes into them in roughly 4.5 billion years. In order to make sure they're as well-armed as possible to face the collision, present-day scientists at the Panchromatic Hubble Andromeda Treasury (PHAT) and a few friends are trying to gather as much information on Andromeda as they can as part of their Andromeda Project [http://www.andromedaproject.org/#!/about]. This, if you were wondering, is where you come in.

The PHAT team and its collaborators are one of 20 groups using information from the venerable Hubble telescope to try and learn more about Andromeda. Specifically, their project involves picking out star clusters and background galaxies from Hubble's images of the region in order to further our understanding of spiral galaxy and star cluster formation. The team hopes that by getting broswer-based volunteers to pick out these points of interest as part of the Andromeda Project they'll be able to vastly broaden the scope of their search in addition to receiving more accurate results. If you want to take part, just head on over to the project's site [http://www.andromedaproject.org/]. After a brief tutorial, you'll be picking out background galaxies for the good of science like you were born for it.

"But wait!" I hear you cry. "This sounds super-menial. I mean it's pretty and the scope of it is amazing, but still, menial. Can't they make a computer do it?" You're right, citizen scientist. That should indeed be the case. Sadly, however, the various programmes that the project team created to try and distinguish star clusters from white noise proved too likely to identify a star cluster as white noise and vice versa. This is a job that needs human eyes, both to appreciate the astonishing beauty of Hubble's incredibly detailed images and to unlock the discoveries they hold.

"We couldn't get to the point where it could pick out a large number of clusters we identified by eye," said Anil Seth, the team's lead investigator. "There were thousands of candidates that weren't real clusters."

"The general benefit is to better understand how spiral galaxies form," continued Seth. "Andromeda is the nearest example of a [spiral] galaxy, except for the Milky Way...We can study in detail things we can't see in larger distances."

So, there you have it. Head to the Andromeda Project site if you'd like to examine some amazing Hubble imagery for a while, all for the good of science. It might not be as exciting as playing a game where you pretend to head out that way, but who knows, it could turn out to open your mind in just as many ways. Scan on, space friends.

Source: Space.com [http://www.space.com/18818-andromeda-galaxy-crowdsource-study.html]

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Oh, so it's galaxy Andromeda, not spaceship Andromeda.

Damn...
http://quizilla.teennick.com/user_images/A/AM/AMB/AMBY3411/1283552543_7431_full.jpeg
I'd have explored her like a nova bomb.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
I'm totally useless at this, the pictures are too pretty. I can't stop just looking!

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Quaxar said:

Damn...
http://quizilla.teennick.com/user_images/A/AM/AMB/AMBY3411/1283552543_7431_full.jpeg
How the balls was I beaten to this ridiculously niche reference??

Screw you Andromeda, you've let me down again. Go back to your black hole and think about what you've done.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Hevva said:
the Andromeda galaxy is a feature of the universe that our hopeful descendants are going to get to know really well when it smashes into them in roughly 4.5 billion years. In order to make sure they're as well-armed as possible to face the collision,
...?

Wait, what? What? Did I not hear about this? Or did I just forget about it? Why is Andromeda smashing into us?

... not that it really matters to me, since 4.5 billion years and all. Just... seems like something I should have known about/remembered.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Hero in a half shell said:
Quaxar said:

Damn...
How the balls was I beaten to this ridiculously niche reference??

Screw you Andromeda, you've let me down again. Go back to your black hole and think about what you've done.
Hah, I own the limited edition box set including autograph cards of every cast member. Don't try to beat me to a niche reference, no frelling chance!

90sgamer

Jan 12, 2012
To be honest, this is a really stupid idea. We will develop a way to study the universe around us in detail without the need for tedious hours of human labor. We will certainly crack that puzzle before our galaxy and Andromeda converge.

Aariana

Apr 10, 2010
Ok I'm sorry, but no one is going to make a joke about PHAT lewtz? I am disappoint, Escapist.

Animyr

Jan 11, 2011
Bara_no_Hime said:
Wait, what? What? Did I not hear about this? Or did I just forget about it? Why is Andromeda smashing into us?

... not that it really matters to me, since 4.5 billion years and all. Just... seems like something I should have known about/remembered.
It's headed right for us. Most other galaxies are moving away from us (universe expansion and all that) but Andromeda is actually getting larger because it and the Milky way are getting pulled together. Or pushed. Or something. Anyways, they're going to smack into each other and mix around like a giant smoothie and there's a good chance that such an event will gradually send everything out of whack, including the Earth's orbit. That's the impression I have, anyway.

You probably haven't heard of it because, well, the ETA is 4.5 billion years. Which is about as how much the planet is old. And just enough time for Half life 3 to be finished, I'm hoping.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
[quote="Animyr" post="7.395813.16093896"It's headed right for us. Most other galaxies are moving away from us (universe expansion and all that) but Andromeda is actually getting larger because it and the Milky way are getting pulled together. Or pushed. Or something. Anyways, they're going to smack into each other and mix around like a giant smoothie and there's a good chance that such an event will gradually send everything out of whack, including the Earth's orbit. That's the impression I have, anyway.[/quote]

**thinks**

OH. I remember now. Yeah, that.

Although, as I recall hearing it, due to the distance between the stars meant that there was a good chance that Andromeda would pass harmlessly through the Milky Way and any current inhabitants of Earth were unlikely to notice anything.

Unless, of course, in a thousand-to-one-odds against occurrence, another star system moved directly through ours and killed us all.

But, again, 4+ billion years.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
So, who agrees that the most popular star clusters will be shaped like male genetalia?

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Carnagath said:
Uhhh... what the fuck is this? The tutorial certainly did NOT prepare me for it...

It's one of them things you have to draw a cross over. It's just really big.