Asylum of the Daleks

Dr.Susse

Lv.1 NPC
Apr 17, 2009
Dang I don't want to spoil anything so I'll be have to read this article and the comments in exactly twelve hours! One week Australia lag.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
For some reason, I just imagined Matt Smith saying;
"I have had it with these mother****ing dinosaurs, on this mother****ing spaceship!"

Overall, a good synopsis, like always; although I do have to admit that I saw the twist at the end coming; stephen moffat is getting laughably predictable, and I see him like a British M. Night Shyamalan, as the twists are one of the only things unique about his writing.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
TimeLord said:
Susan Arendt said:
TimeLord said:
Wilcroft said:
It will be interesting to note *why* Oswin was locked up in the room. Was it because she was deemed more insane than all the others for refusing to acknowledge being a Dalek? If not, then why lock her up with all "Doctor-survivor" Daleks? Had she met the Doctor before getting changed, and if so, why didn't she remember him?

SO MANY QUESTIONS!
I would assume it was, as you said, because while she is a genius and thus good Dalek material, she refused to give up her humanity.
I think the bigger question is how is the Doctor going to save Oswin when she becomes his companion without screwing with what she did to the Daleks. Oswin said herself that the Daleks have grown stronger in fear of the Doctor, so it's not just his own security against the Daleks the the Doctor would sacrifice by saving Oswin pre-Alaska but the entire universe. While the Daleks may still advance and exterminate, they won't do it to combat the Doctor directly, unless saving Oswin resets what she did, which would be a pointless waste of an episode and an Intersting universe shift she created.
I think it's hasty to assume that it is Oswin, per se, who becomes the companion, and not just the actress playing someone else. When we saw Lalla Ward, for example, she wasn't Romana.
True and Karen Gillan played a bit part in 'Fires of Pompeii' before becoming the companion. But that was years apart and it's literally 3 months until the Doctor gets a new companion. It wouldn't make sense to me to use the same actor for two quite large parts in the same series. But then again who knows what goes through Moffat's mind!
Now, be fair. Lalla Ward was literally Princess Astra in one episode and Romana in the next. :)
Fair enough I did not know that. I'm not great with Classic Who trivia :p

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
LavaLampBamboo said:
I think what we are all forgetting is that the SPECIAL WEAPONS DALEK showed up for a second, and that's awesome.

http://www.kasterborous.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/dw-sn25-rembrance-swd.jpg</

As for the episode itself, I really enjoyed it. It really felt like an old school episode, you know? Doctor gets roped into doing something, has to "fight" through a load of Daleks, then does. Simple.
It showed up for 3 (ish) seconds, as scenery. For all they hype they threw around about "every Dalek ever in one episode" they still defaulted to reboot gold and Moffat skittles. I was hoping for some classic design Daleks from long forgotten wars with the Doctor mixed with newer styles and a Special Weapon Dalek that actually moved and talked.

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
TimeLord said:
Susan Arendt said:
TimeLord said:
Susan Arendt said:
I think it's hasty to assume that it is Oswin, per se, who becomes the companion, and not just the actress playing someone else. When we saw Lalla Ward, for example, she wasn't Romana.
True and Karen Gillan played a bit part in 'Fires of Pompeii' before becoming the companion. But that was years apart and it's literally 3 months until the Doctor gets a new companion. It wouldn't make sense to me to use the same actor for two quite large parts in the same series. But then again who knows what goes through Moffat's mind!
Now, be fair. Lalla Ward was literally Princess Astra in one episode and Romana in the next. :)
Fair enough I did not know that. I'm not great with Classic Who trivia :p
The better comparison would be Freema Agyeman, who played a small part in Doomsday, and was brought back as Martha, who was the "cousin" to explain the similarity.

That all said, given that this is Moffat and everything is planned out for seasons, I would say that Oswin will be the new companion and there will be something timey-whimey. Remember that at the last moment, Oswin did a very direct look to camera after saying "Remember me". It is planned.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Good summary there. I was quite surprised when we found out that Oswin was a Dalek - though should have guessed earlier on that something was wrong - considering the map we see Oswin looking at showing the Doctors location sees him heading towards a dead end, not a downed spaceship that conveniently manages to be connnected to the asylum facility.

I do hope it does actually turn out that Oswin is the companion, though I just wonder how they would work that out. In one way, the Doctor would have to pick her up after she helps them escape from the asylum planet which wouldn't exactly be much of a time window to work in, even for the Doctor. Plus, there's the fact that even if rescued that way, she would still be a Dalek (do we think that she had actually assumed the full physical form of a Dalek under there?).

As someone else said, it could be that the Doctor meets Oswin earlier on and ends up being the one who causes her to end up on the asylum planet. Could be interesting, and if she joins the Doctor in that way, it could explain how she ended up working on a ship. There's no evidence that the Doctor and co are taken into the future in this episode and as far as I know, in the present day in the Whoniverse (sic), humans aren't zipping around the universe in spaceships. Would seem a bit of a morbid conclusion to a companions time on the show though.

Though it could also be something really cheesy I fear - the fact that the concept of remembering is used a few times in the episode (the Doctors tells Amy to "make them remember you") and is Oswins last words to the Doctor not a request that he remembers her? My memory of the dialogue isn't perfect. In a way, seems like a way to hint at a convenient Deus Ex Machina to get her out of there - hopefully I'll be wrong there...:)

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
DVS BSTrD said:
The thing that bothered me most was the reason why Amy kicked Rory out. You've known him your entire life but INFERTILITY is the one thing you can't bring yourself to tell him?
Actually, I buy that completely. It's not as though it was news to him that she couldn't have children, so it wasn't the infertility per se that was the issue. It was the fact that she could never give him something she knows he wants, and that forcing him to give up that great want would be selfish. Also, being able to bear children is a pretty huge bit of female identity, whether you actually plan on having kids or not, so it's tough to deal with in any kind of rational way. Was she being silly? Well, obviously, given Rory's reaction, and if they'd ever talked everything out, they'd have known that ages ago. But dealing with such emotional issues - even with your spouse, even with someone you've known your whole life - is easier said than done.

ritchards

Nov 20, 2009
Right, looking through the main article.

The Dalek colour has more import because there is (was) a hierarchy based on colour. From the movies, through to Day of the Daleks and more, there have been black Daleks and red Daleks and a Gold Dalek, with basically ranks. By the time of Remembrance, this was basically Grey vs White Daleks, and the Special Weapons Dalek (the same episode confounded the Emperor Dalek with Davros, which was silly of Ben). There has never been a Parliament of Daleks, which doesn't mesh with the idea of an Emperor Dalek anyway...

[Did Amy and Rory ever discuss adoption?]

As for the "Doctor Who?" line, I'm with Susan. However, since we know there will come a moment when the Doctor will stand on the plain of blah and the Silence will ask him that question, and the answer will destroy the universe (or something)... I think this is going to be the Bad Wolf of this season...

rodneyy

humm odd
Sep 10, 2008
i assumed that oswin is the new companion. look at the whole river story line the doctor first meets her at the end of her life and then over time get to know her in reverse. so it could be something similar.

a small point there was a review in the paper and the writer told of the dire warnings handed down by the bbc not to tell the secret untill the episdoe had aired, if it was just the same actress being used twice then i doubt they would have bothered.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
This not only creates a completely new dynamic for the show (which is good, because it was getting a wee bit stale), but also setting up the unfortunate "Doctor who?" line at the end of the episode. Yeah, it echoes the end of The Wedding of River Song (2011) in which "Doctor who?" is revealed as "The first question. The question that must never be answered. The question that" the Doctor has been running from his entire life ... but it's dumb. Yeah, it's a play on the show's title, har, har. It was stupid last season and it's stupid now. I hope they drop that particular shtick soon.
Firstly, while it got milked a bit at the end of the episode, the idea of a series based around the idea of "Doctor Who?" has a lot of promise. Since Moff took over one of the underlying currents of the show has been what is The Doctor really like if you strip away the rose-tinted glasses the people of Earth have for him because he likes us. So far we've had:

The Pandorica Opens said:
A Goblin, a Trickster, a Warrior. A nameless terrible thing soaked in the blood of a billion galaxeys. The most feared being in all the cosmos. Nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tare down your world.
A Good Man Goes To War said:
A man who can turn around an army at the very mention of his name. Doctor. The word for healer, wise man throughout the universe. We get that word from you, but if you carry on the way you are, what could that word come to mean? To the people of the Gamma Forests the word Doctor means Mighty Warrior.
The God Complex said:
An ancient creature drenched in the blood of the innocent. Drifting in space through an endless shifting maze. To such a creature, death would be a gift.
In this episode we find out the Doctor doesn't keep his name among the Daleks, but instead is known as "The Predator". I wouldn't be surprised if this is the running theme throughout this series, meeting different species who all have their own name for him either from previous meetings or legend. I would also dovetail nicely into a multi-doctor episode for the 50th anniversary as a case of "We've shown you how other species see the Doctor, now how does he see himself?"

On other areas of the episode, I didn't see the twist coming, but thats due to me never looking particularly hard because in my opinion that just spoils all the fun. I'd be surprised if Oswin and the new companion arn't related in some way. This is partly due to the fact all the fans and press who saw screeners were asked to not mention who was playing Oswin until after it had aired as they wanted to keep it a secret, and partly due to Moffett being someone who plans ahead to a surprising degree.

Edit:
DVS BSTrD said:
http://i.imgur.com/hiGbF.jpg
Ok, that's awesome.

ritchards

Nov 20, 2009
Plinglebob said:
In this episode we find out the Doctor doesn't keep his name among the Daleks, but instead is known as "The Predator".
That reminds me, previously (more from the books than the TV series), he was known to the Daleks as Ka Fariq Gatri, the Oncoming Storm. (I think he has a similar title in Family of Blood, but can't recall.)

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Good recap, and good episode. I for one like the new Dalek design. I particularly like the deeper red colour given to the red Daleks in this series. It looks really cool.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
ritchards said:
Plinglebob said:
In this episode we find out the Doctor doesn't keep his name among the Daleks, but instead is known as "The Predator".
That reminds me, previously (more from the books than the TV series), he was known to the Daleks as Ka Fariq Gatri, the Oncoming Storm. (I think he has a similar title in Family of Blood, but can't recall.)
He calls himself that at the end of the episode when seeing if the Daleks remember him.

The Doctor, The Oncoming Storm, The Predator
Have to say, out of all his various names and titles, The Oncoming Storm is by far the best.

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
Too bad that Rory's leaving. Amy I'm not too bothered about, simply because Arthur Davill is the better actor of he and Karen Gillian and gets rewarded for it, seeing as Amy spends most of the time as a tagalong to the Doctor's A-plot while Rory is much more involved in the B-plots.

One thing I was discussing with a friend of mine was whether or not it was a good thing that the Doctor was smiling when he responds to Rory asking who killed all the Daleks. The Doctor's killed more Daleks than there have been Daleks (timey-wimey stuff) but he's never been happy about it before.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
Well this doctor seems all too happy to enjoy the genocide of entire races, or have lest severely come to terms with all his mass murdering over the years, but at the same time he wants forgiveness from who exactly? Would have to be god himself to forgive all that :p.

Karma168

Nov 7, 2010
Wilcroft said:
Had she met the Doctor before getting changed, and if so, why didn't she remember him?
This bugged me as well. There are two options:

1. She hadn't met him yet
2. She had met him before (but forgets due to what happened to her) but this is the first time he meets her (same as River Song in her first appearance)

Now 1 can't work because that messes the timeline and means there's nobody there's no reason to go to the asylum as it was Oswin that caused the problems that lead to the Doctor being kidnapped (and the whole thing seems like one of those 'fixed' events (like Pompeii))

2 seems like the better option but it is a bit crap if they are just going to rip off the intro of the most important character from the last series (and future ones).

God knows how they're going to hand-wave this into working.