Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
RvLeshrac said:
sneakypenguin said:
trooper6 said:
I'm a T-Mobile user and I'm really, really bummed to hear that the irritating AT&T is buying my provider. I suppose I'll just have switch over to some other provider. But who? I hear bad things about Verizon as well.

Sigh.
Sprint, if you can deal with being stuck at 3g speeds for another year or two until they switch from WiMax to LTE. Pretty much any company gets a 15% discount with them My bill for unlimited text and data, and mobile works out to 63 dollars a month.
LTE won't give you "4g speeds." Verizon, AT&T, and Spring will all be throttling the hell out of LTE. They haven't even built out a tiny fraction of the capacity necessary to do a full LTE rollout.

Even when they *DO* finally provide full LTE speeds, it won't matter - having LTE speed just means you'll reach your cap 50-100x faster.
It'll still be faster than old data network. On WiMax I've hit 7mb up and down vs my 1.6 down 1.5 up in non wimax areas. Sprint doesn't really have caps unless you get the low price plan.

soapyshooter

That Guy
Jan 19, 2010
Fuck AT&T. Fuck all companies in America. Seriously, everything is becoming a 2 company monopoly if that makes sense. Even the gov't, feels like America is now a 2 party dictatorship (one party is lesser evil depending on your views). You are forced to choose between shit and one week old shit yet pay outrageous prices. urgh, its irritating.

Centrophy

Dec 24, 2009
As a former employee I can attest that they have zero regard for upgrading or indeed maintaining their networks. Can someone say customer dissatisfaction? I know I saw it often enough.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
If it's really that terrible and if it's really expected to get that much worse then why do so many people continue to buy into it when they could just pick up an iPod touch? Then again I've never owned an iPhone (or any sort of iPod or, apple device) so I guess I'm just not getting it.

nipsen

Sep 20, 2008
RvLeshrac said:
Even when they *DO* finally provide full LTE speeds, it won't matter - having LTE speed just means you'll reach your cap 50-100x faster.
Bingo.

Btw, if people don't know what LTE stands for, it's "Long Term Evolution". :D

Can't be any more subtle than that, right..?

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
vansau said:
Accordingly, the T-Mobile deal will supposedly benefit consumers by "reducing the number of dropped and blocked calls, increasing data speeds, improving in-building coverage, and dramatically expanding deployment of next-generation mobile technology."
Somehow, I think the only thing that a T-Mobile deal would do is screw over T-Mobile customers.

Anyway, this is interesting. So AT&T is saying that they haven't been properly providing the services that they've been billing customers for these past few years. Perhaps those customers should get some kind of refund or a deal on future service?

Also, this is just another reason to add to my ever growing list of why I will never directly get a phone through AT&T.

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
Not to mention how bad their customer service is. You rarely ever get someone who speaks understandable English, you NEVER get the same answer to a question twice, there's no consistent knowledge of their policies, and they're trained to hang up on people if the CS rep "doesn't like their attitude," so if they don't feel like helping you then you get dropped.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Holy crap! Is April the official Apology Month?

I mean seriously, first the Superman Returns team, then the Transformers 2 writers, then Team Ico (because apparently Shadow of the Colossus, arguably the Mona Lisa of gaming, still wasn't perfect enough), now AT&T?!?

Is there a camera in my room? Is this all one huge "gotcha" on me with everybody who really needs to apologize (and then some) finally coming out and saying it, only to have a massive blanket statement on May 1st saying "naw, we were just kidding! We'd never admit to actual fault on these things..."

icame

Aug 4, 2010
Thats nice. I still jailbroke mine simply so I wouldn't have to use your shitty service.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
So their solution to improving their service is to buy another phone company that is as crappy as they are. What's really interesting is all this comes after Verizon begins to carry Apple's crapstock as well.
Sounds more like they want T-Mobile for other reasons to me...one of them getting their monopoly back.
Addendum:
Shoggoth2588 said:
If it's really that terrible and if it's really expected to get that much worse then why do so many people continue to buy into it when they could just pick up an iPod touch? Then again I've never owned an iPhone (or any sort of iPod or, apple device) so I guess I'm just not getting it.
Methinks the only reason to go to AT&T was to get an iPhone. But now Verizon carries those. Verizon also gives better coverage to areas that aren't cities. AT&T isn't sorry they were behind on providing service, they are more sorry they are losing customers to Verizon.
I hope this helps you a bit.

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
I expected this thread to be the victim of necroposting. They said within the first week AT&T couldn't handle it.
Doesn't really matter I love my iphone and will probably get the 4g next summer. Where I grew up Verzion was shit, they made no effort to fix the problem and for my troubles I had to pay 175 dollars to cancel my contract or pay 38 bucks for another 9 months. I've had no problems with AT&T where I live and my co-workers who have Verzion don't really want an iphone because they can't make calls and surf the web, which I rarely do on my iphone.

Skizle

Feb 12, 2009
AT&T was by far the worst cell phone service I ever had, hell even Tracphone was better and their phones were beyond dated. So really I cant even feel any sympathy for them. Work towards customer satisfaction with your phone service and Comcast and maybe, just maybe, you'll be able to compete with other providers

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
then why couldn't they upgrade the towers?
If anything the popularity of smart phones would only increase the traffic, I don,t have AT&T so I don,t know how bad it is but this seems like a big PR problem.

numbersix1979

Jun 14, 2010
I'll admit, it's nice to see a mega-corporation take the blame for something. Living in the days of Haliburton-style plausible deniabity, AT&T definitely deserve a pat on the back for consolation purposes. It does raise the question of why they signed an exclusivity contract they weren't ready for and which undoubtedly didn't help the stockholders in the long run.

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
I'm still bitter that the company had over $30 billion sitting around that they DIDN'T use to shore up their network.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Why the company is planning on continuing service after 12\2012 is beyond me. Everyone knows that obama is going to nuke everyone about a month after he loses the Presidental election to Sarah Palin and Donald Trump.

That singular act will make him the greatest leader in all of human history.

SendMeNoodz84

Jun 11, 2009
In the middle of San Jose, CA, I get no reception. I've literally driven by Apple HQ in Cupertino and ironically, they don't even have reception over there.