AT&T and Verizon: 10Mbps Is Too Fast For Broadband

Two-A

Aug 1, 2012
CriticalTortoise said:
Wow. Reading this thread, it seems like everyone has completely insane speeds compared to me. I just did a test, and I get about 4.75 Mbps (and oddly enough I have a higher upload speed than download speed). I never noticed many problems to be honest, but finding out about how much faster speeds are in other countries, it hardly seems fair or frankly even ethical that American ISPs are charging this much for speeds this low.
Haha, I feel the same, 10Mbps is the highest speed ISPs offer in my country.

On the other hand, for a developed country, this is downright criminal.

Alpha Maeko

Uh oh, better get Maeko!
Apr 14, 2010
Rainbow_Dashtruction said:
Alpha Maeko said:
4K Video streamed at constant 30Mb last time I tried it on Youtube.

Things are progressing quickly to a place where 4Mb isn't going to be capable of anything outside of email.
That's gotta be bullshit. I've seen someone get 4K video on a 10mb/s cap on youtube.
Behold, I bring proof.

[http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s124/sanity_under/4kruningat32mbps-1.jpg~original]

Kittyhawk

Aug 2, 2012
This has got to be the joke of the day. 10mb?? You yanks are really getting stitched up for your bb.

Its clear that those who run those pipes don't game or understand the size that the average modern game comes in at. I feel for you guys. This crap has to stop or the U.S will be left in the slow lane as other nations speed up.

AlwaysPractical

Oct 7, 2011
I don't think I can post enough Bender laugh GIFs to express exactly how much I laughed at this statement.

I personally hope these companies would just go away and die. I have 10 Mbps and it is the minimum I would take for most of my usage. Go screw yourself AT&T and Verizon.

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
4Mb/s is pretty low, really. That's not going to be "acceptable" for long. Anyone who thinks otherwise is lying to themselves. It's barely serviceable today. And in a few years when 4k TV streaming is widespread, 4Mbs won't even come close.

Contrary to the article, you can also get well over 50Mbs in Central Florida, through Bright House Networks. Which is related to Time Warner Cable. They've always been good, although I'm not impressed with the skills or knowledge of their repair techs.. But at least the service is good.

I have Verizon for my cell phone service, and at least for that I am very happy with them. 4G speeds are good for phone use and everywhere other common providers have no/low signal (Sprint, Nextel) my Verizon service is always good.

farscythe

Dec 8, 2010
10mbps seems.kinda low really..
till the end of this month im on 50mbps and then im switching providers so ill get 180mbps for 30 a month.
guess the interwebs in the netherlands is pretty good

(now if only my computer hadnt asploded...it may or may not be back from warranty repairs in time for my new internet speed...meh)