At the Expo: Diversity and Togetherness

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
At the Expo: Diversity and Togetherness

Love is in the air on the expo's second day.

On the first day of the Escapist Expo, I attended a panel staffed by a born-and-bred Bostonian, two British expats, a Canadian, and a displaced Oregonian, hosted by a man from Texas. That night, we all gathered on the lawn of the picturesque American Tobacco Campus to watch a cheesy 80s movie, and frankly, it was too dark to tell who anyone was - all I could make out was their raucous laughter whenever something bizarre happened onscreen or MovieBob made a particularly incisive comment.

By the time Saturday morning rolled around, I found that this trend only continued. Like the first day, I spent a good chunk of my time at the Escapist Expo helping loyal editorial assistant Paul Goodman [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/articles/WMDogma] man the tabletop RPG signup table. Spurred on by a number of encouraging roleplayers, I had decided to put my Deadlands book to good use and host a nice old-fashioned RPG in the Weird West. My players were black and white, and hailed from New England and the South, but all they cared about was having a good mix of combat and non-combat classes.

I knew I had to hit up another panel or spend the next year regretting it, so I chose one called "Fanboyism." This one, which involved MovieBob, Jim Sterling, Yahtzee, Dr. Mark Kline [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/ask-dr-mark], and executive editor Susan Arendt as hostess, discussed the sometimes subtle differences between enthusiastic fans of a property and those who take their love to irritating or even antagonistic levels - "fanboys." Fanboys, the panelists agreed, are people who seek to set themselves and their property apart from those who would dare to criticize it; in other words, fanboys deliberately take an exclusionary attitude. They want to create an insular community where their opinions exist only in an echo chamber.

That night, when Gavin Dunne gave his highly anticipated Mining All Day Long [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/miracle-of-sound]" to come onstage and sing with him.

The theme of Day 2 at the Escapist Expo was clear: The people at this convention do not care much about race, religion, sexual orientation, nationality, political beliefs, or outward appearance. If there is some facet of nerd culture that you love, you are not only welcomed, but embraced. It'd be a cliché to say that the convention is all about the games, but it's not entirely true, so I'll use another cliché instead: It's all about the people.

Image: American Tobacco [http://www.americantobaccohistoricdistrict.com/about/page/10849293/]

D-Mc-G

Nov 17, 2009
Wish I could have justified flying out from Ireland to attend this, especially for the Miracle of Sound concert. By any chance was the gig recorded at all?

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
D-Mc-G said:
Wish I could have justified flying out from Ireland to attend this, especially for the Miracle of Sound concert. By any chance was the gig recorded at all?
even a bootleg would be cool D:

Alexnader

$20 For Steve
May 18, 2009
Bloody Americans with all their cool stuff... Someday I'll be able to fly over there and visit all these awesome cons. Some day.

Also please tell me that concert was recorded in some capacity. I am willing to accept smartphone footage here provided you aren't surrounded by screaming women.

BlackStar42

Jan 23, 2010
D-Mc-G said:
Part of it was, a live version of Nord Mead's on Gav's youtube channel.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
It twas quite awesome. Wish more of you guys could have made it D:

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
D-Mc-G said:
Evil Smurf said:
even a bootleg would be cool D:
Your wish is now granted:

And from what I've heard McG, the whole thing was recorded by someone from the Escapist.

BlackStar42 said:
D-Mc-G said:
Part of it was, a live version of Nord Mead's on Gav's youtube channel.
I checked his channel and didn't see anything from his concert. Maybe you were thinking of the above video? Or maybe I'm just really blind and didn't see it on his channel.

Really wish I could have gone. More so now that I know BeatDownBoogie attended. :'[
Please post tons of pictures and videos Escapist!

ianeddy44

Aug 17, 2009
There were cameramen from The Escapist filming it, and I do remember them saying something about it being available at a later date for those who missed the Expo or who wanted to relive the concert a bit. You're in luck, gentlemen!