At what point do you stop taking other people's arguments seriously?

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
Anytime someone throws around terms like "cuck", "libtard", and "sjw" I can't bear to listen to them anymore. Or anytime someone resorts to personal attacks.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
When someone claims to hold a certain view then immediately goes on to take positions that are completely at odds with those stated beliefs. Hard to take someone seriously when they try and make it look like they hold two contradictory beliefs that can't be reconciled, especially when those beliefs are what people are arguing over.

I've seen too many people claim they think everyone is equal, then turn around and openly hold white supremacist views, and claim it's all consistent. It wouldn't be so bad if such people hadn't taken over entire political movements though, what ever happened to progressives being JFK's "ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" and into the "mememe" wing of politics?

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
I tend to tune out if anyone starts an argument with words similar to "I'm not racist but...."

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
votemarvel said:
I tend to tune out if anyone starts an argument with words similar to "I'm not racist but...."
Is this only limited to racism? Because outside of making fun of that statement in joke form ("I'm not racist, but fuck *insert race here*"), I've only actually seen this with regards to sexism.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Whenever someone uses "Well, you know those X" or "Typical Xers"

Like how its snowing in 'Murica these days, and, Well, you know those Government Chem Trailers. Fake Snow that burns green!" or like my super racist Grandpa used to say "Typical Puerto Ricans, etc..."

Its an implied agreement argument, assuming we're both on the same side and that I'm arguing against my own beliefs. Like what Trump uses when he says "I've heard, you've heard..." or "I know it, you know it, ..." like "I've heard Muller rapes boys named John in the eye with a rusted scalpel. I've heard it, you've heard it, everyone has heard it."
It forces you to either say no, in which case you sound like a liar, or agree and agree.

renegade7

Feb 9, 2011
I generally don't even bother with people who use "cuck", "SJW", or especially "libtard" unironically. And "libtard" is by far the worst. "Cuck" at least has something resembling comedic value, and "SJW" is at least an accusation that can be responded to because it's a kind of person that actually exists, but "libtard" is just a phonetically grating slur used exclusively by racist old people and cranky normies.

But beyond that, I have two rules that I consider prerequisites for me to take someone seriously.

The first is that they're showing a good faith effort to make as much of an effort as I am: if I'm citing sources then I expect that you will also cite sources, and furthermore that you will take the time to read and understand what I cite, and if I'm writing a detailed explanation then I expect a detailed response.

The second is that your rhetoric aligns with your intentions and actions. For instance, I have very little patience for lazy environmentalists, you know, the kinds who say "Well obviously overpopulation and suburban sprawl are huge issues, but I want to have a nice house where I can raise my two to three kids, overpopulation is really only a problem in poor countries, and plus we really need to keep the workforce going. Wait, what do you mean that's racist, I can't be racist, I have an NPR tote bag!" And to take a jab at the other side, if you're going to make a YouTube channel where you ramble about the inherent superiority of men, then you'd better not be some dumpy-ass weeb living as a NEET in Japan. [http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Black_Pigeon_Speaks]

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
Zontar said:
votemarvel said:
Is this only limited to racism? Because outside of making fun of that statement in joke form ("I'm not racist, but fuck *insert race here*"), I've only actually seen this with regards to sexism.
It can be "I'm not homophobic but..." or "I'm not sexist but..."

It always seems to be used by people who actually are those things but try to pretend they aren't.

BarkBarker

May 30, 2013
Anytime a personal experience is then extrapolated to a world view I tune out, be it "oh it never happened to me so it's not that bad" or "oh it happened to me so therefore it happens everywhere". Very sun revolves around me kinda stupidity.

Rakka Kaze

Oct 26, 2017
I find this thread to be interesting, because it obviously comes from a bias slant out of the gate.

All examples seem to point to the 'conservative, not racist but racist, right leaning, etc.' other person who is 'just wrong', but no examples of the other side of the ever-encroaching line.

libtard has cuckservative; sjw has nazi/altright/-ist; apparently snowflake has now been equally, although possibly erroneously appropriated by the left now as well.

No examples of supposedly race/gender/sex positive minded people turning around and slurring the same people they aim to side with because those people don't agree with them? How many people have their [insert group] card revoked and are re-identified as garbage by these people?

My two-cents to the idea of tuning someone out, is when I've taken their point from 5 different angles, quashed it from each perspective, and they still refuse to budge in the slightest, or simply deflect/goalpost it.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Jeez man, all I said is what I didn't like about Ellie. I was willing to debate and receive counter arguements to prove me wrong my stance on Ellie being an SJW charcater.

Prove me wrong now.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
The whole "my opinion over everyone else" come to my mind". It's not a discussion if you are not willing to open up to anyone else ideas or opinions!

An example of this was a thread made on here weeks ago when the guy made a bold and stupid comment about not "caring for the fans". Like right, what make your singular opinion far superior to the massive collective of the en masses opinions that has been made over the years??? In saying so however I never took that guy seriously over the year so there's that.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
At refusal to acknowledge simple rules of logic, playing persecution, personal attacks.

Real life example:
"I felt a hand touch my head. It was a ghost."
"How do you know it was a ghost?"
"You tell me what it was, then."
"You're making the claim, not me. I'm asking you how you knew it was a ghost and not something else."
"It was a ghost. You can't prove it wasn't. Stop mocking my beliefs."

Vanilla ISIS

Dec 14, 2015
When it's clear that they're not listening to you and they just want to listen to their own voice or preach.
If they resort to name calling, threats or violence.
When they criticize you for saying/doing things that they themselves say/do.
If they don't look things up and just listen to what others tell them.
If I can expose that they don't know what they're talking about (for example, they'll start talking about something, then I'll say that I know that as well and start making stuff up in a way that would fool someone who has no clue, if they start agreeing with me, they're full of shit).

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Kenbo Slice said:
Anytime someone throws around terms like "cuck", "libtard", and "sjw" I can't bear to listen to them anymore. Or anytime someone resorts to personal attacks.
Pretty much this, anyone that uses lame internet slang is basically ignored. More than half the time, they don't even know what the terms mean.

Errant Signal's video on Wolfenstein 2 was a great analysis without using terms like sjw or commie.

Samtemdo8 said:
Jeez man, all I said is what I didn't like about Ellie. I was willing to debate and receive counter arguements to prove me wrong my stance on Ellie being an SJW charcater.

Prove me wrong now.
Your stance was stupid, that's why. I think you were trying to say she's a sjw character because she was praised by others for being such, which makes no sense. Then, you said she feels like such a character, which is proof how?

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Phoenixmgs said:
Kenbo Slice said:
Pretty much this, anyone that uses lame internet slang is basically ignored. More than half the time, they don't even know what the terms mean.

Errant Signal's video on Wolfenstein 2 was a great analysis without using terms like sjw or commie.

Samtemdo8 said:

Prove me wrong now.
Your stance was stupid, that's why. I think you were trying to say she's a sjw character because she was praised by others for being such, which makes no sense. Then, you said she feels like such a character, which is proof how?
The thing is I have much more to say about it, but I have to do it via PMing because I don't want to make a thread to get locked and get me in trouble because of what I am about to say.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
Samtemdo8 said:
Phoenixmgs said:
Kenbo Slice said:

Samtemdo8 said:

Prove me wrong now.
The thing is I have much more to say about it, but I have to do it via PMing because I don't want to make a thread to get locked and get me in trouble because of what I am about to say.
Just say it in here.