At what point do you stop taking other people's arguments seriously?

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Kenbo Slice said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Phoenixmgs said:
Kenbo Slice said:
Anytime someone throws around terms like "cuck", "libtard", and "sjw" I can't bear to listen to them anymore. Or anytime someone resorts to personal attacks.
Pretty much this, anyone that uses lame internet slang is basically ignored. More than half the time, they don't even know what the terms mean.

Errant Signal's video on Wolfenstein 2 was a great analysis without using terms like sjw or commie.

Samtemdo8 said:
Jeez man, all I said is what I didn't like about Ellie. I was willing to debate and receive counter arguements to prove me wrong my stance on Ellie being an SJW charcater.

Prove me wrong now.
Your stance was stupid, that's why. I think you were trying to say she's a sjw character because she was praised by others for being such, which makes no sense. Then, you said she feels like such a character, which is proof how?
The thing is I have much more to say about it, but I have to do it via PMing because I don't want to make a thread to get locked and get me in trouble because of what I am about to say.
Just say it in here.
Ok here it goes as to why I think she's a "made for SJW" character:

1. Alongside her being praised alot by the gaming media, Ellie is a bit of a Mary Sue, she's the only one who was bitten and yet has not got infected into Zombie, and that the whole game being all about her in the end just adds to it. Now I don't know how the second game is gonna follow up on her fate with her being immune but I just hope its nothing too stupid as to why she's immune.

2. Now even I don't agree with what I am about to say here and I know I should not care but, there is also the fact that she's confirmed to be Lesbian, with a Black Female no less, now I really would not care and I still don't care that she is, but this game was made around the time when the whole Anita Sarkessian/GamerGate thing was all the rage and during all that I have been made acutely aware of this whole Tumblrina Femenism SJWs and how crazy they are, I just feel Ellie being gay is just made to score Tumblr points, it just did not felt genuine.

I was gonna mention how I thought the newest trailer for the game showed Grown Up Ellie going to get raped, but I re-watched it just now and it wasn't Ellie anywhere, but seriously the woman getting her arms smashed just gave me the thought that she was gonna get raped.

There you go, now explain to me why am I wrong on this and I am listening. Reason 2 was the reason I was afraid of posting my other reasons because I don't want people to get the impression that I am homophobe, I AM NOT, I don't care if anyone is gay or not, what I cared about was Naughty Dog not doing it genuinely with Ellie and only done it to pander.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Zontar said:
votemarvel said:
I tend to tune out if anyone starts an argument with words similar to "I'm not racist but...."
Is this only limited to racism? Because outside of making fun of that statement in joke form ("I'm not racist, but fuck *insert race here*"), I've only actually seen this with regards to sexism.
As Jon Snow would say:

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
tippy2k2 said:
Phoenixmgs said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Kenbo Slice said:
Guys, this has nothing to do with the thread. Take your outside beefs outside.
The thing is the OP was clearly calling me out with this thread as a response of the posts I made in the 2018 games thread.

I felt like I was being pointed fingers at and it bothered me.

I apoligize for any wrong doing.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
Samtemdo8 said:
tippy2k2 said:
Phoenixmgs said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Kenbo Slice said:
The thing is the OP was clearly calling me out with this thread as a response of the posts I made in the 2018 games thread.

Actually I wasn't, I was making a thread in general. But hey whatever feeds your ego.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Kenbo Slice said:
Samtemdo8 said:
tippy2k2 said:
Phoenixmgs said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Kenbo Slice said:

Actually I wasn't, I was making a thread in general. But hey whatever feeds your ego.
Than I apologize regardless.

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
If someone uses cuck, libtard, sjw, fake news or tags #MAGA then I refuse to indulge them any longer because they're either a troll, a bot spamming nonsensical gibberish, or just a straight-up dickhead.

Also I've found that the time I waste on political arguments is severely reduced if I just flat-out ignore anyone who's profile picture is just a picture of either the US flag or the St. George's Cross. It's pretty reliable that me and them will never see eye to eye on the subject being argued about so it's not even worth bothering.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
Samtemdo8 said:
1. That's really just a common trope for the zombie genre. Her being a Mary Sue (which she isn't) has nothing to do with being "SJW". I'm starting to think you don't actually know what an SJW is.

2. Who cares if she's a lesbian? Also you should wait until the game comes out to see if it's done well. It's hard to judge from the trailers.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Kenbo Slice said:
Samtemdo8 said:
1. That's really just a common trope for the zombie genre. Her being a Mary Sue (which she isn't) has nothing to do with being "SJW". I'm starting to think you don't actually know what an SJW is.

2. Who cares if she's a lesbian? Also you should wait until the game comes out to see if it's done well. It's hard to judge from the trailers.
OK, enough.

I swear if either of you guys bring this up in here again, I'm breaking out the hammer. Take it outside.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
tippy2k2 said:
Kenbo Slice said:
Samtemdo8 said:

OK, enough.

I swear if either of you guys bring this up in here again, I'm breaking out the hammer. Take it outside.
Man I wasn't even being hostile in my response. I was just countering his points.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Typically the moment any conspiracy theory comes in to play.

For example I don't believe Trump is an Illuminati agent, he's just a complete whacko suffering from dementia.

Flat Earth, moon landing deniers, anti-vax, Area 51, Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Beams - why do so many of these originate in the United States?

thelizardofdoom

Dec 31, 2017
Anytime someone utters anything that resembles a positive thought about Donald Trump. (In all seriousness there has been like one or two times I thought he was right but still.)

And about anything else I can see both sides generally. Both Conservatives and Liberals have certain issues that logic and reality ceases to be relevant to their POV.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Whenever someone says ?I disagree with what you say, but will defend forever your right to say it.? Just step down off your cross, you pompous ass. We?re the chattering class of the internet, not Maoist rebels. You?re never going to physically defend my rights, so I consider it empty self praise.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
When they post citations they clearly haven't read and make false claims about it and refuse to own up to it.

Also when they constantly try to change the subject by going on the offensive and attacking someone utterly unrelated to the subject matter.

And I'll add my hat to the pile of people who don't take those who say "cuck" seriously. Ironically, unironically, I don't fucking care, unless you're talking about a literal cuckhold fetish or situation, piss off.

Myria

Sanity Challenged
Nov 15, 2009
At what point do I stop taking other people's arguments seriously?

5am Monday morning...

Give or take.

Natemans

Apr 5, 2017
Anything that involves people throwing around childish insults or actual threats. Or people who use the words "PC" or "SJW." The internet has made me really sick to death of people arguing about that particular subject.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
erttheking said:
When they post citations they clearly haven't read and make false claims about it and refuse to own up to it.
I swear to god, the number of times somebody would say " is attacking for being -ist" and then posting an article where said person does none of those things...

I mean, I appreciate the reminder that just because you're a nerd, that doesn't mean you're smart, but the lack of reading comprehension makes me scared for the education system.

I'll add "person immediately believes some rando anon on reddit/the chans". That's how we got such gems like "Anita Sarkeesian called Mirror's Edge's controls sexist and is working on the sequel". It's goddamned embarrassing. They were anon (obviously), and specifically declined to post evidence. How goddamned stupid do you have to be? EA had to say she wasn't working on the game twice, and I'd bet money there's still people out there thinking she's the reason it didn't do well.

Mechamorph

Dec 7, 2008
Ad hominem attacks are basically a shorthand for "my argument holds no water therefore I will attempt to discredit my opponent with pejoratives". Insults I can understand, calling someone a "cuck" or "sjw" is just their version of "-ist". Trying to say that the person's ideas have no foundation simply because "its misogynist, its libtard, it's whatever" will likely invalidate the accuser's argument because it implies that it cannot stand on its own in the marketplace of ideas.

RedRockRun

sneaky sneaky
Jul 23, 2009
Kenbo Slice said:
Anytime someone throws around terms like "cuck", "libtard", and "sjw" I can't bear to listen to them anymore. Or anytime someone resorts to personal attacks.
When the person fails to respond to your points after calling them out on it. When someone can no longer respond to you in a civil manner and argue against the points you have made, then they've lost.