Atari Founder Dismissive of Nintendo DS

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
too bad they got rid of the GBA slot. Could have made an accessory that turned a DS into a phone.

Space Spoons

Aug 21, 2008
All respect to Mr. Bushnell, but he really needs to get someone in touch with gaming to start proofreading his press releases. Even the most casual exercise in Google-Fu would have proven how fundamentally stupid that statement was.

JaysonM

Sep 29, 2010
Baldr said:
too bad they got rid of the GBA slot. Could have made an accessory that turned a DS into a phone.
kek, I don't want my DS to be a dang phone!

Dioxide20

Aug 11, 2009
Well, seeing as Atari hasn't made anything good since The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay, this comment really doesn't carry all that much weight.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
In twenty years, this may be true, but I doubt Daigo will be playing Super Street Fighter IV on the iPhone anytime soon.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
Another fool underestimating the power of neckbearded manchildren.

OT: I like my DS. I like Pokemon. I like Scibblenauts. I do NOT like shitty mini games like Bejeweled and Hexic. And I have a feeling the majority are with me on this.

Edit: Although, Atari is one of the top video game makers and overall heavyweights in the entire industry, so of course this guy knows better than those small time losers like Nintendo.

Breaker deGodot

Apr 14, 2009
Coming from ATARI, a company that hasn't made anything worthwhile for God knows how long, I think Bushnell should keep his petulant mouth shut.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
The last time Nolan Bushnell said something relevant or interesting about gaming and the industry, I was in diapers. He can go pack to his pizza place with his animatronic rat as far as I'm concerned.

HeySeansOnline

Apr 17, 2009
Nolan do we need to bring up the Lynx? Or should we just "Do the math." and look at the DS's profit margins.

God I love nerd humor.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Alternate headline: "Nolan Bushnell is a Fucking Idiot"

Nobody who actually cares about playing games on a more serious level than Farmville or Bejeweled is going to want to play on a crappy iPhone, iPad, or any cell phone. 1, none of the games are all that great. Sure you can play breakout or tetris or whatever, but when it comes to them trying to make portable versions of stuff like Assassin's Creed, you get a nice nasty mess that people wish they hadn't bothered with in the first place. And why do all these games suck? Because they're dumbed down messes to fit on these stupid touch screen only phones that have NO BUTTONS.

http://www.yaybuttons.com/ <-- Relevant to more than just Move VS Kinect

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
psrdirector said:
I have no interest in playing a phone instead of a ds, no good games for one that are more then really just flash games
You could flip those around and as many people would buy it.

Unrulyhandbag

Oct 21, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
Not only does Nintendo have a really big head start and a lot more third-party support, it's got the 3DS coming out next year, which does everything the DS does, but in glasses-free 3D.
Not as huge advantage as you'd think, a few months ago a chip manufacturer announced it had a glasses free 3d display chip and screens available for android manufacturers.
And this is about
(not sure if this is the same system) so android 7 - 10inch tablets with the same sort of 3D as the 3DS could\will be around soon. With better hardware behind them and hardware costs hidden in phone contracts or heavily subsidised the 3DS could be the first of Nintendo's portable lovelies to struggle .

With several big names waving their latest engines running in some form or another on the iphone and android being an open platform it's hard not see a PC style games market on portable hardware. Just need to persuade phone and tablet owners that it's worth paying for and get some big games out there.

That said you think portable gaming you think Nintendo. The DS has physical buttons nicely laid out for gaming which does mean a lot and no special OS means game makers can really push the hardware that bit more. While this guy has been wrong a lot of times before it's interesting times in portable computing.

TurtleBay

Sep 22, 2010
I can see where he is coming from. I own a DS Lite and an iPod Touch. In a year or so I will have to choose between the 3DS and a Touch 4G when the batteries on these two go south (and DS games become unavailable). The 3DS adds 3D and will be $250 to $300. The $300 iPod Touch has 32 GB of storage, a browser, good music and video playback, apps outside of gaming (e-mail, weather, news, skype) and id Software as well as Epic Games have been showing off game demos on the platform.

Meanwhile Nintendo has added 3D, which is hard to comment on until I can get one in my hands. 3DS has very little storage which means it won't replace the iPod for apps, music, video, etc. Finally, the highpoint of the DS is the games and I have not seen anything that I haven't played four times already coming out for this(I own Ocarina for N64 and WiiWare, have like a billion Marios, am tired of Metal Gear, etc.).

Part of the appeal of the original DS, at least in my case, was the gap between its price and that of an iPod Touch or iPhone when it first came out. But since getting an iPod Touch it has won the battle for the spot in my pant pocket.

Olrod

Feb 11, 2010
Well if he's the founder of Atari he must know what he's talking about, now I'm going to go and throw away my DS and play with my Atari Conso... oh.

ilspooner

Apr 13, 2010
Baldr said:
Yeah, i'm a little miffed that they got rid of the GBA slot, since my GBA has no charge and I can't find the charger. :( That is why I am keeping my trusty DS lite. I have no intention to buy a phone to play games, while my DS is alive and well.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
I have a phone. I use it to make calls. I use it to receive calls. I can do neither if the phone is dead because I was playing games on it. I think I'll keep my DS.