Atari Founder Slams Former Company, PS3

Bongo Bill

Jul 13, 2006
When Nolan Bushnell speaks, people listen. Is that not the very definition of influence?

'Sides, the guy's a good businessman with more insight and less bias than any other "analyst" who'd give this industry a second look. Leaving aside his first-hand experience, he's certainly been paying attention to it longer than anybody else. You gonna tell me that Nolan Bushnell can't imagine the differences between selling an Atari 2600 and selling a PS3?

Dom Camus

Sep 8, 2006
There's something else that I think needs saying here: it is perfectly possible to respect someone's opinion and be very interested in what they have to say and still disagree with them.

That's how I feel about Nolan Bushnell's commentary in this case. It's interesting to me that he thinks this, but I completely disagree with him about the nature of the PS1 and PS2 successes. I'm not yet certain the PS3 will trump all in quite the same way but the idea that Sony have somehow lost the new gen battle already is an extreme viewpoint in support of which he makes a very weak case.

TomBeraha

Jul 25, 2006
Dom Camus said:
That's how I feel about Nolan Bushnell's commentary in this case. It's interesting to me that he thinks this, but I completely disagree with him about the nature of the PS1 and PS2 successes. I'm not yet certain the PS3 will trump all in quite the same way but the idea that Sony have somehow lost the new gen battle already is an extreme viewpoint in support of which he makes a very weak case.
I'm in agreement with you here, Sony has a logic behind their current actions (as convoluted and foolish as it may seem to me) and they have a plan. What remains to be seen is whether or not they've correctly identified what they need to do to be the market leader. I don't think they've drawn the correct conclusions about what the market wants (as opposed to says it wants) I think the PS3 will find a niche with some people who can afford to spend 800 on a system and 1200 on a tv and 400 on speakers to go around it and want to watch 1080p video/videogame on it. I don't think that they make up the majority of the gamer market.