Atari Inc. Files for Bankruptcy

Akisa

Jan 7, 2010
blackrave said:
YES, YES, GODDAMN YES!!!
:D :D :D
I still may have a hope.
Activision, quick, buy Battlezone name rights and finally make Battlezone3
Pleeeaaaseee, I need my Battlezone fix and BZ2 just isn't strong enough for me anymore.

Also if that would happen I could stop boycotting you and finally try CoD4:MW (I heard it was good)
No thank you we don't need Activison to get bigger, with EA they need to crash and burn.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
JWAN said:
Sad in a way... But they really didn't keep up with the times. The best game they released in the last 13 years was Godzilla Destroy All Monsters Mele. (AND IT WAS BADASS). Other than that I can't remember any other GOOD or even half good game they released.

EDIT* If they are doing it to step out from under the company that has been forcing crap-games then good for them.
Act of War and its expansion High Treason are awesome RTS games made by Eugen that Atari published. Maybe this will mean the IP can be bought by Eugen and a sequal made :)

uzo

Jul 5, 2011
Besides the oooollldd school stuff, Atari did Neverwinter Nights, with BioWare, didn't they? That's reason enough for me to support at least the people who gave the greenlight to NWN.

Having worked in a company that went balls-up, it ain't pleasant for anyone involved. Hope the programmers/developers etc. can find new promising work.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
I got scared for a second but then I remembered Atari was not Namco. I can't even think of one Atari game I played. They're pretty much irrelevant at this point.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
GenGenners said:
I don't think I've seen Atari release a single game for half a decade. What have they even done?
They released Tales of Vesperia in Europe. For that I am grateful.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Atari files for bancrupcy
I feel so warm inside
They are doing it to escape real collapse due to their french parent being in debt
im cold again.

Atari's time has passed, its time to retire while they havent turned into a second nintendo.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Hitchmeister said:
Mr.Mattress said:
Again?! Atari has had such a hard time staying afloat ever since the 1983 Video Game Crash...

Still, here's hoping this is the last time.
SkarKrow said:
Thats strange I was sure Nintendo and Sega killed Atari off back in the mid nineties...
Callate said:
It feels like, since Infogrames, Atari has been more of a shallow pool of retro properties and a label used in an attempt to imply history and experience than any sort of real identity of its own. I'd be perfectly happy to see them bounce back- I don't think any of the smaller players going under is good for the field as a whole, at this point- but if they disintegrate, at this point it's going to be like seeing Interplay disintegrate, not so much a surprising tragedy as a "What, they were still alive all this time?"
If I'm not mistaken, Atari is a name and logo that have been attached to quite a few nearly entirely different companies over the years. News of "Atari" declaring bankruptcy again is probably not (quite) the "Atari" you remember from some time back.
I'm aware, I was just trying to crack a joke, I actually read up on Atari just the other day after a show mentioned they were defunct.

And I don't really remember Atari, they lost relevancy before I was even born.

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
While we're waxing nostalgic about Atari, you know what I'd like? A new Adventure [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adventure_(1979_video_game)] game. I reckon a remake/sequel to that game would be an incredible portable title.

Jun 16, 2010
SkarKrow said:
People keep saying that. I guess I never realised, because I'm always seeing the logo when I start up games (though I could've sworn I've played more Atari games than just The Witcher 1 & 2, NWN2 and Fahrenheit).

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
James Joseph Emerald said:
SkarKrow said:
People keep saying that. I guess I never realised, because I'm always seeing the logo when I start up games (though I could've sworn I've played more Atari games than just The Witcher 1 & 2, NWN2 and Fahrenheit).
I have played approximately none of those games. What I meant is that Atari was the be all and end all of gaming until the mid eighties then they kind of sank into relative obscurity and eventually died and became a name passed around various companies for whatever reason in the mid nineties through to this day.

I was born in 1991.

Atari ceased being the dominant producer of video games in 1985.

I don't even have nostalgia for Atari because I grew up on second hand Sega hardware and a PS1.

There, I expanded upon my point. I haven't played a game put out by atari in the last 10 years I swear.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Unfortunately this is the result of Infrogram's mismanagement. They used to make video games that were sold in boxes of cereal. I think they should have stuck to that market because thats all they were good for. Atari was dead along before they came along.

Hitchmeister

Nov 24, 2009
SkarKrow said:
Hitchmeister said:
Mr.Mattress said:
Again?! Atari has had such a hard time staying afloat ever since the 1983 Video Game Crash...

Still, here's hoping this is the last time.
SkarKrow said:
Thats strange I was sure Nintendo and Sega killed Atari off back in the mid nineties...
Callate said:
It feels like, since Infogrames, Atari has been more of a shallow pool of retro properties and a label used in an attempt to imply history and experience than any sort of real identity of its own. I'd be perfectly happy to see them bounce back- I don't think any of the smaller players going under is good for the field as a whole, at this point- but if they disintegrate, at this point it's going to be like seeing Interplay disintegrate, not so much a surprising tragedy as a "What, they were still alive all this time?"
If I'm not mistaken, Atari is a name and logo that have been attached to quite a few nearly entirely different companies over the years. News of "Atari" declaring bankruptcy again is probably not (quite) the "Atari" you remember from some time back.
I'm aware, I was just trying to crack a joke, I actually read up on Atari just the other day after a show mentioned they were defunct.

My second computer was an Atari.