Atari is Teasing Something Called an Ataribox

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Atari is Teasing Something Called an Ataribox

There's not much info on what this is, but it looks like Atari might be making some sort of console.

There's been plenty of news coming out of E3 this week, but there's also some news from a company that we haven't heard much from in a while. Atari is teasing something that looks like a new console. The first tease showed up on ataribox.com [https://www.ataribox.com/]. It's this video:

What is it? No one knows yet. Atari did confirm to The Verge [https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/6/12/15783074/ataribox-teaser-new-atari-product] that the device is real, and that Atari is directly involved in the project with a partner, rather than having simply licensed out its name.

It could be a new mini console that plays classic Atari games, but there are plenty of those on the market already. It could also be something entirely new, but in a world dominated by PS4, Xbox One and Switch announcements, the climb to relevancy could be steep for Atari. If you want to be notified when there is more information, you can sign up for updates over on the Ataribox website [https://www.ataribox.com/]

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013

I do hope there's a HD remaster of Alone in the Dark: illumination and the Haunted Mansion remake with it. Atari are known for their contemporary classics.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
Xsjadoblayde said:

I do hope there's a HD remaster of Alone in the Dark: illumination and the Haunted Mansion remake with it. Atari are known for their contemporary classics.
bah we all know what the true classic is that we all want.. lets go PONG!

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
They've probably seen what Nintendo did with the NES Classic and they're like "Can we get us some of that pie?"

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Well, if they do intend to put out an actual full-fledged console, I think that's good. More competition is great.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
pookie101 said:
The public will never see it coming! Mainly because everybody's phone and toaster got there first. :)

Hey, you're blue now...is that a serious condition we should be worried about?

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
Xsjadoblayde said:
pookie101 said:
The public will never see it coming! Mainly because everybody's phone and toaster got there first. :)

Hey, you're blue now...is that a serious condition we should be worried about?
actually you should be more worried about the powers that be.. they are the ones that actually gave me power :D

LTD

Jun 20, 2015
AtGames has been an official licensee for 10 years now, making the Flashback Atari consoles, with an improved one coming out this year (with actual HDMI output rather than composite).

$10 says it's not hardware at all, but rather a loot crate type deal.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
pookie101 said:
actually you should be more worried about the powers that be.. they are the ones that actually gave me power :D
Oh dear lordi, they know not the vast horrors they have unleashed...

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Atari isn't really Atari anymore. The video suggests something that looks aesthetically like the Atari 2600 (wood grain, black plastic, and all), but there have already been multiple attempts to mine that particular pool of nostalgia. The old games are there for anyone who wants them, but you could fit every Atari 2600 game in existence onto a $10 flash drive and still have room for the 5200's entire library and the software to run both, so even a NES Classic-sized option begins to seem excessive.

Atari's attempts to reboot its old properties- both Infogrames and Atari- for modern audiences have largely proved disastrous.

I'm having a hard time imagining what this could be that would actually pique my interest.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
The only thing Atari has at this point is brand recognition and nostalgia. In everything else they have gone downhill really badly. My money goes to "Atari Mini" (trying to follow the success of the NES Mini).

CyanCat47_v1legacy

Nov 26, 2014
The fact that Atari still exists after doing nothing but release the odd piece of burning garbage for the last two decades makes me surprised that the company still exists. How the hell are they still making money? How much meth money do they have to launder on the side to keep on going?

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
CyanCat47 said:
The fact that Atari still exists after doing nothing but release the odd piece of burning garbage for the last two decades makes me surprised that the company still exists. How the hell are they still making money? How much meth money do they have to launder on the side to keep on going?
They aren't. I think its actually been 4 or 5 different companies at this point.

Essentially, the Atari of legend and lore (ET and so on) did go out of business. Since then, other companies keep buying the name and rebranding themselves.

I can't really see a NES classic thing working for them. Most Atari games people want are straight up available on near every platform. Heck, most of the time you can get a free version if you don't care about the specific name on it.