Atari Shuts Down Dedicated Fansite

Sabrestar

Apr 13, 2010
Well, when Infogrames took over the Atari name, it seems they must have imported Jack Tramiel's leadership acumen with it.

I'm happy that Atari lives on in my memory from its 70s and 80s heyday. The last vestige of Atari finally went to its eternal rest when Midway Games West studio (formerly Atari Games) was shut down. Better to remember them that way than pay any attention to some other company laying claim to the name.

Now I think I'll excuse myself to play a round of Jumpman, chasing it down with a bit of Gauntlet.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
What possible positive outcome could come from them handling this situation like this?
I totally agree that they should have offered to buy the domain- and then some.
You know, show a redirect page if someone goes to atari2600.org that says something along the lines of, "So and so's page is here. Thanks for fan support!" or something like that.

Simple, and would be a win-win situation- Atari gets the domain and good PR, while Davie gets traffic.

marurder

Jul 26, 2009
If there was an issue about the name, why not simply BUY it from Andrew Davie. Atari would be seen as 'cool' for rewarding (paying) a long term fan. Which would of course probably have been cheaper than the long term negative press they have just received. Also it would have allowed the fan to pay for a better site (since I *assume* he was running the old one at his own expense - and it wasn't for profit).

Dusk17

Jul 30, 2010
Why is it that anytime a company does anything to protect its copyrights and trademarks, people take it personally? Seems to me that people will whine at anything.

llafnwod

Nov 9, 2007
KeyMaster45 said:
I hear they've already got Valve working on a port of the Half-life series to the system for it's launch line-up, but it's just a rumor. Fingers crossed everyone!
There is no way in hell the 2600 would run anything close to Half-Life. ;)
twm1709 said:
Lawsuits in the gaming industry seem to be going more and more out of control.
It's not a lawsuit, it's a C&D, and this sort of thing has been going on forever. It's more a result of the extremely broad powers granted by copyright and the ability of corporations to raise legal complaints that individuals/small organization cannot possibly hope to fight.

Steve Lovell

Apr 25, 2011
I have an idea....... We should all register an Atari web domain, I call dibs on WWw.haha-i-have-an-atari-web-domain.com

robert01

Jul 22, 2011
I don't actually think what he is doing is actually illegal though.... That is why so many companies buy up domain addresses that related to their brand name, so other people can't. Plus he has been online for 11 years.

robinkom

Jan 8, 2009
marurder said:
If there was an issue about the name, why not simply BUY it from Andrew Davie. Atari would be seen as 'cool' for rewarding (paying) a long term fan. Which would of course probably have been cheaper than the long term negative press they have just received. Also it would have allowed the fan to pay for a better site (since I *assume* he was running the old one at his own expense - and it wasn't for profit).
Seriously!! What magnificent imbeciles they employ at Infogra--ahem--I mean Atari.

It's not even the same Atari that MADE the 2600! Had that iteration of the company been around today, they would have embraced this man and his dedication to their legacy. Pay him for the domain name and he can register a new one like "andrew2600.org" or something. Perhaps include official ads and links to Atari's current products as free advertising.

Andrew Davie

Sep 6, 2011
marurder said:
Assumption is correct.
Cheers
A