Atari Test Drive?s New Next-Gen Pricing

N. Evan Van Zelfden

Jul 11, 2006
Atari Test Drive?s New Next-Gen Pricing

Beleaguered publisher announces $39.95 pricepoint for Test Drive Unlimited on Xbox360, additional content available through Xbox Live Marketplace.

Incommunicado

Jul 13, 2006
That sure is cheap for a supposed AAA title. Too cheap?!?! I'm pretty sure they will try to cash in on the downloadable content. In principle that is OK, as long as they do not try to rip off the customers with a severely crippled game that depends on expensive extension to provide the initially envisioned gameplay with multiple cars and the lifestyle gadgets like houses, clothing, ingame radiostations/music.
This would definetly leave a trail of angry customers and will kill the game's community as well as the downloadable content instantly. In the long run this might end in a desaster for Atari if they choose to take that path.

But there is still hope :).

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
It's probably a good idea - especially if the game is a quality product. The problem that Atari is dealing with is that they have two different damaged brands in this release. The Atari name isn't in great standing at the moment, and the Test Drive franchise isn't usually considered top-tier anymore. They're also taking a serious risk with the gameplay elements of Test Drive Unlimited, and asking their customers to do the same.

If the game is good out of the gate, it will foster a better reputation for both brands, and a group of loyal players that will be looking forward to buying additional content. I'll probably pick it up as a comparison to PGR3, and the $40 price makes the decision a lot easier. On the other hand, making the game bare-bones and requiring the purchase of the content packs to fill it out would certainly destroy any chance of this being successful. Hopefully the reduction in price isn't a sign of a reduction in quality.

I've actually been looking forward to the game though, and I hope that this is a winning strategy. Personally, I'd rather see cheaper buy-in for games and then additional downloadable content packs for a fee. It moves us more towards episodic content, and really gives the gamer greater control over how much of what type of content they want.