Atheist in a Christian home

Ljs1121

Mar 17, 2011
Hi, fellow Escapists. I have something that shouldn't be a serious problem, but for some reason, is. I'm talking about my religious beliefs (or, rather, lack thereof).

Now, all my life I've been raised Christian. The Bible is the infallible word of God, whom loves each and every person on earth so much that he sent his son to die on the cross for their sins, etc. I'm raised this way because my mother is a hardcore fundamentalist. For the most part of my childhood, I accepted these beliefs. After all, God seemed like a pretty cool guy and I had no one telling me that anything else was true, so it seemed to be the truth. My mother put me into a Christian school in fifth grade, a school which I am still currently attending. However, a few years ago, I started doubting this religion. Not exactly sure how it started, but the doubts kept manifesting themselves at different places. However, each time, I would go to church and have the doubts taken from me and replaced with a feeling of comfort, knowing that God was in control of everything. I never stopped doubting my religion, though. I kept on this cycle for quite a while, always coming close to turning on God but never quite carrying through.

Then, one day, I went for it. I told myself that I was indeed an atheist and accepted that fact. I suddenly was filled with this hunger to learn about the science of the universe that I never got from Christian school. I rented books from the library about evolution, read atheist blogs on the internet, and even asked for, and received, a copy of Carl Sagan's Cosmos for Christmas (not from my mother, of course, from my brother). For a while, things were cool. I would wait for my mom to fall asleep or go to work, then I'd read my secular books. I even took them to school with me. Anyways, this worked for a few months, until one night (Monday of this week, to be precise), I was reading Richard Dawkins's The God Delusion in bed. I got up to do something, laid the book on the foot of my bed, and then completely forgot to put it away before going to sleep. In the morning, my worst fears were realized: my mother saw the book.

She was absolutely livid. She went off on me for about half an hour, only stopped by her needing to be at school at a certain time. I was yelled at about how I was letting Satan get a foothold into my life, and how I would eventually be dragged down into Hell if I kept on reading such books. She then went from anger to sadness, telling me how hurt she was that I had let "the official spokesman of Hell" influence my life in such a manner. The book was taken from me and I was banned from reading anything that wasn't explicitly Christian. I then went to school, very angry with myself for being so stupid as to allow this to happen.

For a few days, that was all on the subject. My niece was staying with us for a few days, so I think that's why my mom laid off. Then, about three hours ago, she started up again. She told me how upset she was that all the years of trying to bring me up with a Christian upbringing and all the tuition paid for a Christian school were wasted endeavors. She informed me of how angry she was that I was reading the words of a person who denied the truth of the Bible. Most of all she emphasized how sad it made her to see me turn my back on God. Throughout this whole thing, I had no idea of what to say. I never wanted to hurt her like that. I never would have dreamed of making anyone sad. I absolutely hate seeing people be upset. Knowing that I was the cause of my mother, the person I love more than anyone else, being in such a state, tore me apart. I never even told her that I'm an atheist. I just said that I have doubts about Christianity. Seeing what happened when I said that made me fear ever telling what my true beliefs are. I doubt that I'll ever be able to admit that to anyone in real life.

TL;DR My conservative fundamentalist mom found a Richard Dawkins book on my bed and made me feel like the most disgusting human being alive. Does anyone have ideas about how I could possibly make things better between us?

Xarathox

Feb 12, 2013
You have two options:

1. Lie. Lie your ass off. Lie until it hurts and then keep on lying. By this, I mean you're going to have to live under the delusion that her beliefs are your beliefs. And, this is the shittiest part, you're likely going to have to live this lie for the rest of your life.

2. Confront her with your beliefs, and then accept and live with the consequences that follow. She can either accept it and move on, or not.

lechat

Dec 5, 2012
Kalezian said:
could of fooled me, but isn't understanding a major point of Christianity?

Remind your mom that as your parent, she should have your best interests in mind. Not on a religious level, but a more mental and physical level.
as a christian she believes his lack of faith will doom him to an eternity of hell and no other benefits his atheism will give him will ever be more important than that

BrassButtons

Nov 17, 2009
How does your priest (pastor? Church-leader-person) feel about people who question their faith and read books like The God Delusion? If he's more relaxed about the concept than your mother is then talking with him might be a good idea. He could help your mother to see that this isn't a bad thing.

I believe there are some decent theological arguments for questioning religious beliefs, though I'm having trouble finding them at the moment (and my friend who is more knowledgeable about this kind of thing is currently unreachable). The idea (if I'm remembering correctly) is that you are a human being, and are therefor fallible. This is a pretty central part of Christianity--the only perfect human was Jesus, and you ain't no Jesus. So you have to start from the assumption that anything you believe could be wrong. The only way to mitigate that problem is to question your beliefs constantly in an attempt to weed out any false ideas you may have picked up. Doing otherwise means pretending that you're infallible, which would be sinful.

Ljs1121 said:
I never wanted to hurt her like that. I never would have dreamed of making anyone sad. I absolutely hate seeing people be upset. Knowing that I was the cause of my mother, the person I love more than anyone else, being in such a state, tore me apart.
It's probably a good idea for you to make sure she understands that you're not doing this to try to upset her. It's equally important that you make her understand that her actions are hurting you as well.

GroovySpecs

Feb 23, 2013
I was brought up in a very strict catholic family and it really hurt my dad when i explained I was an agnostic and as a result my parents and I weren't on good terms for a long time. It wasn't easy but the way I explained it to them is that I needed to experience life for myself before I could make my mind up.
Your mother's faith is so much part of her identity and is so central to the way she has raised you that in rejecting faith yourself, for her, its like your rejecting her and the upbrining she has given you. You need to help her seperate herv feelings for you and her feelings towards your decision.
I don't know your mother so I don't want to judge, but assuming she isn't an extreme fanatic I take it that she doesnt condemn non-christians on sight or try to run them out of town? As long as that's the case then talk to her, ask her how she would behave towards a stranger who was uncertain about religion. Wouldnt she treat them with love and compassion in the hope that through her kindness they might come to know Chritianity? Then ask her just to treat you with the same compassion while you struggle to find your way.
There will always be tension even if she relents, after all, she will believe that your condeming yourself to an eternity of suffering if you don't believe and no one would want that for their loved one, but it will be better in the long run to be honest.

mgirl

Mar 29, 2011
Wow. I am so sorry for you man. Nobody should ever be judged so harshly just for having different opinions to the ones your parents want you to have. I'm not sure how good I'll be for advice, considering how my entire family is atheist, but I'll give it a shot.

For starters, stick to your guns. If you lie it'll just make things uncomfortable for yourself, plus, there is no reason that such a negative reaction is justified, you've done nothing wrong.

Perhaps you should try and sit down with her, and have a serious discussion about how her reaction has made you feel. If that can't happen without an argument starting, write a letter to her and make sure she finds it. Make sure she knows just how bad her reaction has made you feel.

Apart from that, I can't think of much to say, I can only wish you good luck in dealing with this.

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
Be diplomatic as possible, I suppose. Reassure your mother that you're grateful for her upbringing and the schooling, and whatever else happens you'll still be essentially living your life in accordance with Biblical principles (loving thy neighbour, turning the other cheek, and all that).

BUT, you hope she'll understand that part of growing up is learning about different people and different cultures, and sometimes trying them on for size. A loving God (who she believes in, right?) will be watching over you and won't let you stray too far. Don't worry, mom, you're in safe hands.

Then when you turn 18, run like the clappers. OK, not literally, but that might be a great time to move out. Parents are awkward things - even for secular heathens like me - and sometimes a bit of distance can actually bring people closer. You know, focusing on shared commonalities rather than being aware of your differences all the time.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Explain yourself to her. (Not as in like, "explain yourself young man!" just explain yourself)
Try to make sure you still accept one another's ideals even if you can't respect them, and just make sure that she understands that at your age, (if your profile is right) Religious belief isn't something that you can just change at will to make her happy.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
First of all, don't lie to yourself and 'believe in god' to make her happy. I'd simply ask her, what about science makes it evil, what makes the Bible infallible, why is she putting all of her expectations and view of the world onto you?

Make her answer the big questions.

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
Denholm Reynholm said:
I practice what I preach. I think religion is a despicable creation that has no place in the civilized world. I refuse to partake in Christmas, I refuse to go to Christenings etc.
To be fair I think you're confusing the belief side of religion with the cultural side. It's possible to enjoy Christmas and Christenings as an atheist.

R.Nevermore

Mar 28, 2008
My family took it pretty hard when I told them I was agnostic. Much of the advice here has been good but let me give you some other advice.

Do not let your viewpoint change lead to resentment. Whatever you do. It'll poison you.
The more firmly I cemented myself in my beliefs in science and logic, the more I began to resent my family for sending me to Christian schools and teaching me lies. The earth being created in 6 days some ten thousand years ago, people living hundreds of years at a time and stories of magic were all taught as truth to me and it made me furious that I was told that evolution and such were lies to be ignored.
Remember that your parents firmly believe this stuff is true. They are not lying to you maliciously. They want what's best for you, and although we can look at these things and see that they are false, your mother believes that what she taught you is the one truth that will lead you to an eternal life in heaven. She isn't lying maliciously, she is telling what she believes is truth for your benefit. Don't forget that. She loves you and she wants what's best for you. No resentment.

Jux

Hmm
Sep 2, 2012
I think there is a middle ground between lying your ass off and confronting her head on about being an atheist. You could always try framing it in her worldview. If she is as fundementalist as she appears, explain to her that you are questioning your faith, and that you need to work this out for yourself. You aren't rejecting her, and you love her, and you appreciate what she's done for you. But when she brings the hammer down on you, it is only going to push you away. If she accepts that, then just leave it at that, at least until you've moved out.

If that doesn't work, then start asking the hard questions.

Ljs1121

Mar 17, 2011
No school today, so I guess I'll take some time to answer some of the advice I've been given. Thanks for taking the time to do this, by the way. Really means a lot to me, guys. :)

Kalezian said:
She put you in a school that she believed that would help you academically, good for her, unless its one of those ones that teach basically nothing useful about the real world, she did a good job.

But learning does not stop at just school, religious or not. You were curious about a subject, and delved into it. She shouldn't be mad about your wanting to expand your knowledge even if it conflicts with her own views.
I do really enjoy my school, to be honest. Always have, even when the students or staff say things that are blatantly stupid. Just a really nice environment, I guess.

I told her that I was curious on the topic and basically said what you posted, which was responded to with a "If you want to learn about how the universe works, read the Bible! No one understands the world more than he who created it!"

BrassButtons said:
How does your priest (pastor? Church-leader-person) feel about people who question their faith and read books like The God Delusion? If he's more relaxed about the concept than your mother is then talking with him might be a good idea. He could help your mother to see that this isn't a bad thing.
I did this right after mom first found out. I talked to the school's Bible teacher, since he's the most liberal Christian I know (there's an irony in there somewhere, I think). Essentially answered with the same thing: don't read books like that because they allow the devil into life. If he didn't understand, I have a very hard time believing anyone else will.

I believe there are some decent theological arguments for questioning religious beliefs, though I'm having trouble finding them at the moment (and my friend who is more knowledgeable about this kind of thing is currently unreachable). The idea (if I'm remembering correctly) is that you are a human being, and are therefor fallible. This is a pretty central part of Christianity--the only perfect human was Jesus, and you ain't no Jesus. So you have to start from the assumption that anything you believe could be wrong. The only way to mitigate that problem is to question your beliefs constantly in an attempt to weed out any false ideas you may have picked up. Doing otherwise means pretending that you're infallible, which would be sinful.
I tried this at some point, was given the response of "God wrote the Bible so that humans could have the right answers. We're not perfect, but his word is!"

It's probably a good idea for you to make sure she understands that you're not doing this to try to upset her. It's equally important that you make her understand that her actions are hurting you as well.
I told her numerous times that I didn't want to upset her. Her response was "Why would you read the book, then? You know how strongly I feel about god and you knew that if I saw that book it would devastate me!"

Haven't yet told her how hurt I am by the whole ordeal, but I can only imagine I would be told that the grief comes from the holy spirit and Jesus just wants me to repent back to him and all that.

GroovySpecs said:
I don't know your mother so I don't want to judge, but assuming she isn't an extreme fanatic I take it that she doesnt condemn non-christians on sight or try to run them out of town? As long as that's the case then talk to her, ask her how she would behave towards a stranger who was uncertain about religion. Wouldnt she treat them with love and compassion in the hope that through her kindness they might come to know Chritianity? Then ask her just to treat you with the same compassion while you struggle to find your way.
This one was fun. I asked for some space to sort my own beliefs out and was told that there's no beliefs to sort out, god is the only way! Okay, well, maybe in time I'll sort my faith out and return to god. "But what if it's too late? The only answer is to return to Christianity now or else you'll burn in hell for all eternity!"

R.Nevermore said:
My family took it pretty hard when I told them I was agnostic. Much of the advice here has been good but let me give you some other advice.

Do not let your viewpoint change lead to resentment. Whatever you do. It'll poison you.
The more firmly I cemented myself in my beliefs in science and logic, the more I began to resent my family for sending me to Christian schools and teaching me lies. The earth being created in 6 days some ten thousand years ago, people living hundreds of years at a time and stories of magic were all taught as truth to me and it made me furious that I was told that evolution and such were lies to be ignored.
Remember that your parents firmly believe this stuff is true. They are not lying to you maliciously. They want what's best for you, and although we can look at these things and see that they are false, your mother believes that what she taught you is the one truth that will lead you to an eternal life in heaven. She isn't lying maliciously, she is telling what she believes is truth for your benefit. Don't forget that. She loves you and she wants what's best for you. No resentment.
I honestly hope to never grow a distaste for my mother. Like I said in the OP, I love her more than anyone else on the planet. I just wish that we could let bygones be bygones and never even have to bring up the topic of religion. That way I believe what I believe, she has her beliefs, and no one gets feelings hurt.

(By the way, is your username a reference to The Raven? Awesome :D)

Jux said:
If that doesn't work, then start asking the hard questions.
When talking to a person whose core belief system is that an omnipotent being did everything in the universe, all hard questions are answered by "We can't understand god's ways and it's stupid to try and do so! Just pray and spend time in his word and your answers will come!".

*sigh* At this point, I don't even see a reason to keep fighting her about it. Rather than being confrontational, I've just switched to being apathetic.

Jux

Hmm
Sep 2, 2012
Non-confrontational might be best considering your living situation. How does your dad feel about all this?

Ljs1121

Mar 17, 2011
Jux said:
Non-confrontational might be best considering your living situation. How does your dad feel about all this?
I don't see my dad that much in my life. He moved out when I was about three or four years old.

Jux

Hmm
Sep 2, 2012
Well, it just sounds like there is no reasoning with her, at least at this point in your life. Best advice I can think of is continuing to discreetly read on your own, and keep those critical thinking skills sharp. If she continues to confront you about it, just remind her that you love her and aren't rejecting her love for you. Hopefully one day she can learn to trust your ability to make choices for yourself, but when you have a belief system where everyone who doesn't share in your beliefs suffers for eternity after death, it becomes an imperative that people you care about share your beliefs, 'for their own good'.

It sounds like her motivation for this hysterical response is based on that fear. Or, playing laymen pyschologist for a minute here, the fear that you in rejecting her belief system are rejecting her. I'm assuming your mom and dad didn't split on the best of terms, so maybe subconciously there is some of that in there too.

Crenelate

May 27, 2010
One thing I would definitely recommend is checking out The Atheist Experience (http://www.atheist-experience.com/). I think At the end of the most recent episode (803) there's a caller whose worried about 'coming out' and they give out advice in many of their shows. Their discussions will also help you feel better about your own lack of belief. They really are pretty awesome people and some of the callers are bat-shit crazy/hilarious.

As a person growing up in a non-religious household in the UK, having atheism being a bad thing is basically alien to me. It makes me so sad that parents would rather tell their children they deserve to be punished for all eternity than either chill out or reconsider their own beliefs about the kind of god they want to worship.