Atheists want God stricken from inaugural oath

cuddly_tomato

Nov 12, 2008
Cheeze_Pavilion said:
cuddly_tomato said:
Cheeze_Pavilion said:
How is not allowing the President to practice his religion in the course of performing his duties as President of all of us, whether we believe in God, the Goddess, gods and/or goddesses, or no gods or goddesses, the same as outlawing evolution in school or gay marriage?
Because someone is forcing their own religious (or anti-religious) views on another human being. Come on dude that's just wrong.
How is not wanting the phrase "So help me God" forcing your view on another human being? How is the request that the Oath of Inauguration be neutral on the subject of religion an instance of someone forcing their religious views on another human being?
How is making, through court injunction, another human being to not say something because it doesn't sit well your own beliefs forcing your view on another human being?

ZacQuickSilver

Oct 27, 2006
Xiado said:
He can if he wants to, america is about choice.
ZacQuickSilver said:
The US was founded on Christian beliefs,
No, for the time it was secular. The people who put it into the pledge and the inauguration did so at a time of christian domination, where no one could protest them. All the constitution does is mention god, it doesn't designate christianity or Jesus, because everyone did believe in god back then.
I never said it designated Christianity, just that it was founded on Christian Beliefs. The US is definitely not designated a Christian nation (though it is worth pointing out that only one President to date has not been Protestant, and he was Catholic).

Cheeze_Pavilion said:
ZacQuickSilver said:
All the First Amendment does is say that the US Congress may not establish a State Religion, nor can it say that any given Religion is illegal.
So the government can collect tax dollars and give them to a Catholic Church to buy vestments for priests?
Yes, as long as they provided the same for every other religion. If they provided it for only one, or gave preferential treatment to any one, then it would be unconstitutional. Since nobody wants to open that can of worms (If my religion demands Diamonds for its vestments, is that preferential, and if they refuse because I demand natural diamonds, are they discriminating...), I doubt it will happen.

However, the government can and does give money to charities that are openly religious for the purposes of charity work. In fact, local religious centers have long been held as one of the best ways to get charity work done, and as such, local governments will often give out money to local churches, temples, synagogues, and mosques to take care of the poor and/or homeless.

Ronwue

Oct 22, 2008
This is bordering the Christian zealots, only without the annoying deity backing them. I thought atheists were all about, don't push your religion on me and i won't push mine on you even if I secretly mock you with my atheist friends. So this bunch as every other seems to be going down the drain.

Space Spoons

Aug 21, 2008
Credge said:
Space Spoons said:
It's a Christian nation, like it or not. It's not like anyone's forcing atheists to become practicing followers. If anything, it's honoring this nation's roots.
It is? It's also honoring the nations roots? You mean the atheist and agnostic roots of our nation? Do tell.
I was referring to the puritans who founded the nation, actually.

Vivvav

Jan 12, 2009
xitel said:
If Obama believes in God, then having him swear to God makes sense. If he didn't believe in God I would say yeah, don't make him say it, but when someone that believes in God says "so help me God", it means that if they don't keep their promise they'll be letting their god down.
I'm with you. If Obama has a God and he swears to do well it'll only motivate him more. Personally I would never consciously swear anything to God because even he probably doesn't want to be roped into politics, but you know, that's just me.

Brett Alex

Jul 22, 2008
Xiado said:
Armitage Shanks said:
Nibbles said:
Yes, all we need is an organization where all the rebellious unintelligent people can swarm to be non-conformist and cool. Face it, many atheists sound like and are exactly that.
Mmm, I love the smell of a good generalisation in the mornin'!
Most atheists have chosen to be so by logic. People who are trying to be nonconformist mostly worship god. Every atheist I know is like that because they don't like the notion of religion, or logically believe that there is no god. Religion is the most important thing to many conformist people. Also, many who want to be nonconformist go through a "satanism phase" or try to be pagan. Not generalizing, but this is the trend I've seen.
I'm sorry I'm not sure what you mean by that. Are you saying atheists are non-conformist and turn to satanism/paganism? Or that theists are non-conformists who turn to satanism/paganism?

John Stalvern

Aug 28, 2008
The oath can wait. I want that tripe in the pledge of allegiance and our currency taken off.
Fucking 50s were a burden to the human race.

irishdelinquent

Jan 29, 2008
Hey, all you atheists who want God stricken from everything, I've got a suggestion for you. How about we play the fun little game called LET IT GO!!! The man is the bloody President (or will be soon enough), so it should be his damn call on what he wants to say at the end of his innauguration. If he wants to say Praise Allah, or Hail Xenu, that's his frigging choice! If you're so bent out of shape over the whole thing, don't watch the innauguration then.

The Dr0w Ranger

Jan 8, 2009
Perhaps, just a thought here, the idea of a secular state meant that it was not a church-run government, there is NOTHING in the constitution to say that the people were or were not believers.
The founding fathers were fleeing the Church of England, which had close ties to government and was persecuting anyone that didn't conform, they wanted to ensure that wouldn't happen again.

As for Inaugural Oath, it should be stricken, in the sense that no one is made to say that, but it should not be Banned, so that no one is made to omit it either.

cuddly_tomato

Nov 12, 2008
ChristmasChild said:
PETA is a terrorist organization, while Atheists are an ironic religion. There is a big difference.
You still get the odd atheist who will kill random people. And there have been some world leaders who have done terrible things to oppress religion because of their own atheism.