Atlus Seeking PS3, 360 Programmers For New RPG

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Atlus Seeking PS3, 360 Programmers For New RPG

JRPG house Atlus is looking to enter the HD era at last, with job listings suggesting that the development studio is seeking programmers who have experience with the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

While Atlus has published several games for the current generation of videogame consoles (such as Demon's Souls), its internal development studio has been remarkably quiet when facing the prospect of jumping onto the Hi-Def bandwagon. "Nah," the company seems to say, "we're cool staying on the PS2 for now. You guys go on; we'll catch up later."

That "later" might actually be sooner than expected. qualified applicants [http://www.siliconera.com/2009/10/06/yes-atlus-is-developing-ps3-and-xbox-360-games/] must be interested in game development (er, that seems like a no-brainer) and must have worked on a previous PS3/360 RPG.

So ironically, Atlus' own internal developers wouldn't necessarily qualify. I guess this is why the company is looking for someone else.

The most obvious conclusion-to-be-jumped-to is a possible Persona 5, which was reported to be in development for the PS3 credited him [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93285-Pachinko-Report-Points-to-Persona-5-for-PS3] with Persona 3, Persona 4, and Persona 5.

Of course, it could also be something totally out of left field. Smart money says P5, but Atlus could always surprise us.

Quadtrix

Dec 17, 2008
Demon's Souls really makes me want to get a PS3. I'll be interested in seeing what future Atlus titles bring to the table.

ae86gamer

Mar 10, 2009
I've never played any Persona games, but I am interested in game development and have played games both on the 360 and PS3.

They should hire me. XD

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
ae86gamer said:
I've never played any Persona games, but I am interested in game development and have played games both on the 360 and PS3.

They should hire me. XD
You should play at least Persona 3. Or if you have the DS, try Devil Survivor. While both are different genres (jRPG versus turn-based strategy RPG), if you like the concept of taming demons, then using them against other demons, you should like all of the Shin Megami games.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
The "and/or 360" fills me with much hope. I was worried the next gen SMT games would be PS3 exclusives, and I still don't have a job and thus still can't afford one price cut aside.

Ammadessi

Oct 6, 2009
One of the sole reasons I bought my PS3 was I figured that Atlus would be eventually releasing their titles on it, so this fills me with glee.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
I would have a look at applying for this job, but I lack experience programming consoles - and I doubt they'll want to put up the time and money to train me, heh. And I don't think they'll be developing stuff in the UK.

ila

Jul 29, 2008
Smart money says P5, but Atlus could always surprise us.

Even if it was Persona 5 Atlus would still some up with some way to surprise us. About time the programming side of Atlus decided to get serious.

Ushario

Mar 6, 2009
I know a guy that would suit that position, experience programming on XBox 360 and speaks and reads Japanese fairly well.

I can't read Japanese myself, did it say that experience with both was necessary or if experience with either was enough?

NotAProdigy

Sep 10, 2009
Abedeus said:
ae86gamer said:

They should hire me. XD
You should play at least Persona 3. Or if you have the DS, try Devil Survivor. While both are different genres (jRPG versus turn-based strategy RPG), if you like the concept of taming demons, then using them against other demons, you should like all of the Shin Megami games.
Persona 4 > Persona 3. They fix a lot of mechanics and imo have a more relateable aesop about humanity.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
NotAProdigy said:
Abedeus said:
ae86gamer said:

They should hire me. XD
Persona 4 > Persona 3. They fix a lot of mechanics and imo have a more relateable aesop about humanity.
Really? Gotta finish 3 first, I guess. Thanks for the tip.