Atlus Starting Work on Persona 5

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
I loved the Persona games.

That said, my real question is what console the next game will be on. I'd be surprised if it's the Ps2 again.

Ligisttomten

Sep 20, 2004
I hope this will be on the "new" consoles, PS3, xbox360 etc. I don't want to have to dig out my ps2 again. :p

Disembodied_Dave

The Could-Have-Been-King
Feb 5, 2009
Oh man! Finally! Here's hoping it's on PS3 and I'm guessing a purple-y color theme.

John Funk said:
But that's just a guess. He did say that he wanted to change it up, though. So maybe they'll be... Japanese college students this time around? What would you like to see in a new Persona?
College students would be so much more preferable.

geezer_man

Nov 29, 2008
ready for a new Persona, and if it's on PS3, that will be the
push to get me to buy one (PS3, that is...)

shirin238

Aug 19, 2008
instead of tarot cards something different to classify the characters
mix the ages of the characters up, something like pre schoolers and highschoolers and college kids and adults

apelsz

Mar 15, 2010
Dudeakoff said:
Make it so that I don't have to pick the correct response in 5 multiple choice responses to be able to get the last dungeon and a decent ending. Having to go onto gameFAQs is annoying.
Ninja'd. I could NOT figure out how to get anything besides the bad ending in P4, when THAT happened... Anyone who played knows what I mean.

Anyway, I'd like to see a less obvious bad guy in the next game. The killer in P4 was kinda obvious from the beginning if you followed the clues.

Gamegodtre

Aug 24, 2009
Therumancer said:
Sounds awesome, I just hope they don't try and turn it into some kind of action game to "draw in the twitch obssessed crowd" like we've been seeing with other RPG franchises.
You have played the Shin Megami games outside the Persona series right i'm 99.9999999999999% sure they ain't changing the formula that dramatically. most likely a new story type or maybe a different country.

digotw

Nov 10, 2009
I have never tried the Persona games, but since Atlus did such an outstanding job at demon souls, i'll try anything they make now.

Gamegodtre

Aug 24, 2009
Grayjack said:
I want an SMT game on the next-gen consoles. PS2 is good and all, but it's time to move on.
Agreed, however ........... it never was about the graphical power........ maybe they'll do full voice acting.... we can only hope

Arcane Azmadi

Jan 23, 2009
John Funk said:
Smart money says the next game will likely be about Japanese teenagers who have the ability to summon powerful alter egos based on their innermost selves, and who each fall into a different category of the tarot arcana. The power of said alter egos will depend as much on how much time the teenagers spend hanging out after school together as it does on how much time they spend level grinding in dungeons recreated out of the human psyche.
Excellent prediction there, I think that's very plausible. Did your incredible foresight also predict that Modern Warfare 2 would have guns in it, be set during a modern day conflict and involve shooting people?

I think this is great news. Persona 3 was one of the best JRPGs on the Playstation 2 when it was released. Then they released Persona 3 FES which was considerably better. Then Persona 4, which was a LOT better.

What I want to see most in this sequel is for them to give you more than two actions per day (one in the afternoon, one at night). I want different actions to take different amounts of time so if you plan properly you can do several quick actions rather than it taking the same time to stop for a bowl of ramen as it does to work at a part time job all afternoon. Also, although Persona 4 had already taken steps in this direction, I want them to turn up the complexity of how the social links interrelate. On Sunday dates with your links you could already run into people from other links (I was impressed when while on a date with Ai Ebihara I ran into Yukiko, Ai got annoyed and left and I ended up spending time with Yukiko instead- but also a little annoyed as I'd already maxed Yukiko's link). I want entire links to actually work together, with the overall events of the link changing depending on the choices you make not only within the link but also within OTHER links. Really, I couldn't care what changes they make to the combat/dungeon system, as long as they update the Persona models (which are the same ones they've been using since Shin Megami Tensei 3).

Therumancer said:
Sounds awesome, I just hope they don't try and turn it into some kind of action game to "draw in the twitch obssessed crowd" like we've been seeing with other RPG franchises.
They already did, it was called "Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs The Soulless Army/King Abbadon". Don't worry, they won't be messing with Persona when they already have a SMT subseries for action.

nohorsetown

Dec 8, 2007
I'd like to see P3/4's progression-through-time and dating sim stuff, snazzed up and made less linear, combined with a return to the everyone-in-your-party-can-switch-personas systems of 1 and 2 (and maybe demon-conversation wouldn't be too much to ask for, if they could make it a separate system from the dating sim stuff?). And elements of the more complex battle systems of 1 and 2. And yeah, college students instead of highschool students would be a plus. Time to incorporate the best of the old and the new!.. I hope. I'm sure I'll still buy it regardless. Also exciting would be some news of new work on the main SMT franchise, which has been idling since Nocturne/Lucifer's Call.. unless that DS game "Strange Journey" is supposed to fill that role. Haven't played it. Is it good?

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Gamegodtre said:
Therumancer said:
You have played the Shin Megami games outside the Persona series right i'm 99.9999999999999% sure they ain't changing the formula that dramatically. most likely a new story type or maybe a different country.
Yes I have. I've played Nocture, Digital Devil Saga, The Devil Summoner games, Devil Survivor (DS), and just got "Strange Journey" from Amazon, which means I'll probably be abandoning my flirtation with Pokemon before too long. :p

I am concerned mostly because of the Devil Summoner games, which are an action-RPG hybrid type thing, which so far seems to mostly be stat based, but I have been concerned is going to form the foundation for more work in the series. I mean it was pretty good, but I wouldn't want it to get any more action oriented, and in the end I prefer the good old fashioned stat-heavy, turn based combat... especially in the games that let me form my own party of demons (like Nocturne).

I admit my wariness is also due to the fact that we got the "Devil Summoner" series translated, but games I was more interested in like "Soul Hackers" wound up getting their port deep sixed right before release.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Therumancer said:
They already did, it was called "Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs The Soulless Army/King Abbadon". Don't worry, they won't be messing with Persona when they already have a SMT subseries for action.[/quote]

I've played just about every SMT release into the US except for Demi-Kids. That includes the "Devil Summoner" games (I have both, including the version of the second game that was packed with a plushie). It's actually the "Devil Summoner" games that have me concerned along with "Demon's Souls" even though the latter was not a SMT game (it was however brought over by Atlus).

Strictly speaking I prefer good old fashioned, stat heavy, turn based RPGs. However in making desicians about what gets sent to the US I've noticed they seem a lot quicker to bring over the more twitch oriented titles. "Devil Summoner" was still pretty stat based for the most part, but compared to other games with the SMT label I wasn't quite as impressed with it for that reason. I also notice that with all the RPGs released for "Japan Only" release the one we got was "Demon's Souls", which was a truely awesome action RPG (heavy on action, low on RPG) but probably wouldn't have been my first choice on the "OMG I want to play that RPG" list.

Probably a false alarm, but understand that while someone who could loosely be considered one of the "Atlus Faithful" I am still miffed over how we never got "Soul Hackers" or an official release of "Innocent Sin" in the USA despite everything. Now granted that goes back many years, but what can I say? Like an elephant, I tend not to forget about things like that. I simply do not trust Atlus' desician making process all that much.

sanzo

Jan 21, 2009
I'm just gonna echo the "Please put it on the PS3" thought. Honestly, it's about time for a next gen Persona game

twm1709

Nov 19, 2009
I liked the Persona games when I first played them, but looking back, they must have been the most linear and repetitive experience I've seen in a JRPG. Sometimes it felt like all I was doing was filling up countless meters (exp, friendship, stats, etc.) while sitting through tons of dialogue with no consecuence in my actions, rather than increasing the time I had to spend with "classmates". It wasn't until I played Dragon Age (the first non-japanese RPG I played) that I realized how flawed the concept was. Plus, the combat system in P3 was broken beyond repair.

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
misteromar said:
If anything it will be on the Wii or DS.
your insane, i hope you know that, Persona has always been a PS game, it wont do what Final fantasy did (Sadley, would love to see Persona with achievements) and hop around to another system.

OT: YES! god i have already lost a total of 500 hours to both 3 and 4, might as well add another 100 to 200 hours depending on how good this one is!