Attack On Eyeballs

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Frankster said:
Titans don't have genitals so don't count as being naked!
Ninja'd.

DVS BSTrD said:
Sure just not the ones we want to see naked. (With that one exception, if you've seen the show you know)
Do you mean...
... the Female Titan shifter?

If so, I don't think that counts. :/

Somethingfake

Oct 22, 2008
Katherine Kerensky said:
Daystar Clarion said:
-Snip-

[HEADING=1]SO KAWAII![/HEADING]
Feth that titan in particular.

Watching the show with someone else... might bug them to watch more when they get home later >.>
Did....did you just use a Tanith Cuss word? Good to see a fellow fan of Abnett!

OT: I've been hearing a lot of Attack on Titan. Still not sure if I want to watch it at the moment. Anyone giving this the thumbs up?

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
TimeLord said:
Frankster said:

As a 40k fan, im rather fond of Attack on Titan for its high casualty rates amongst the cannon fodder and a certain air of mystery and despair as time and time again heroic charges end up in disaster.

When eren got eaten that first time i was cheering and ready to worship Attack on Titan as a totally awesome anime which ain't afraid to take risks...Meh that didn't last :/

Ain't gonna say its best anime evar and wouldnt know enough about anime to make such a call anyways, but i just enjoy how expendable everyone is and taking bets on peoples survival rates. Hopefully it can keep up this vibe.
To be fair, it isn't exactly lacking on the character killing.

Yeah Eren got eaten early on and survived but then Levi's entire team got wiped out to a man. Apart from Eren I don't think there's anyone in the anime that has strong enough plot armour to exempt them from dying.
So many people die its ridiculous. About the only ones who don't die are the people in the main intro sequence, but honestly I have no clue how long that'll last. I honestly kept waitin for the Sasha to bite the dust since she doesn't seem particularly useful outside of bein a fairly enjoyable comedy act. Given the universe I actually expect her to die in a fairly horrific way since I can't see her fulfillin any other sort of role.

The only character I see with enough plot armor to survive, maybe not through the whole thing, but most of the way to the end is Mikasa. There's absolutely no way they don't have her make it to the end only to die a suitably tragic heroic death, probably somehow involvin giving her life so Eren doesn't die. Maybe Armin can survive, but that's only based off the idea that I have absolutely no clue why he stays alive considerin how damn useless he is most of the time outside of bein the only of the 3 main characters that still has most of his humanity intact.

On topic! I loled. Totally not what she was expectin at all, but not really a lie either. Kudos!

Fleaman

Nov 10, 2010
Attack on Titan appeals to two distinct audiences.

1. People who enjoy it for its INTENSE HUMAN DRAMA
2. People who enjoy laughing at the people in the first category.

I super enjoy all the conspiracy horseshit, like there's legit tension built up around the weird shit, anime spoilers, WHO ARE THE TITANS? WHAT ARE THE WALLS? IS THERE A GORILLA? Yeah... But, I'm not sure if he's a student.

But getting emotional over characters dying? Adorable. Anime spoilers: No one's died who wasn't reeally obviously going to die. Come on, who was surprised by, like, Niceguy McLeastdeveloped dying? Or Redshirt Squadron? Or Deathflags O'Gonnadie? Oh yeah, manga spoilers, By that last one, I mean Hannes. Yeah, in the manga, Hannes finally got around to dying. I mean, huge shocker. Characters who show up out of nowhere and say stuff like "We've got your back! We're gonna get through this together!" are walking dead.

Also, the show is a meme goldmine.

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
Mahorfeus said:
I like the premise, and what I've read so far, but the artwork for the manga looks like an absolute train wreck.
There's a couple of reasons for that actually.

The Titans are meant to look like strangely inhuman humanoids as if they're native residents of the uncanny valley, and this winds up shifting to the people as well. The sensation that every character is slightly off in some way art wise gives this uneasy feeling and gives the artwork this foreboding sense of something not being right with pretty much anybody, even the good guys. It's similar to how some view the voice acting in Silent Hill as an additional way to suggest the characters have something wrong with them, even though they seem normal.

That's just my perspective as a comic artist myself. Isayama is quite capable of some great artwork, especially for action scenes, but the first year chapters kinda sell his talents short. I'll grant some things I can't overlook like how he draws hands

but that's my view of it.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
You mean people actually watched this garbage? There are far better shows out there.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
doesn't most the cast die in that? Erin seems to be on a bad string of luck for that far as picking shows goes ...

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
l3o2828 said:
The show is slightly above average at best.
I don't know why people are treating it as the next coming of anime jesus.
It's not THAT.GOOD.
Neither is anything else that's being released. This just happens to stand above most shounens.
Hell, I'd say it's better than the Big 3 (Naruto, Bleach and One Piece/ then again those contrived stories don't really hold much merit)

Still, compared to Sword Art Online (Absolute Garbage that just looks pretty), Kill La Kill (Trigger just throwing over the top anime scenes 80 percent of the time with a sprinkle of fanservice while trying to make it a coherent story.), I can at least enjoy Attack on Titan's story.

Also Free!'s pretty good. Never was one for slice of life or drama, but it seems to get the job done.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Akichi Daikashima said:
PunkRex said:
Akichi Daikashima said:
PunkRex said:
Akichi Daikashima said:
Eugh, I would watch the show, but the angst really turns off.

Also those cringeworthy lyrics(when translated to English).
Angst! If there's one thing you're aloud to be angsty about, it's your friends/family all getting eaten in front of you.

OT: I think AoT made most people cringe, though more for the sads than bads.
I'm pretty sure that the 5 stages of grief aren't just composed of:

1-Anger
2-More Anger
3-Anger with Extra Sauce
4-Anger with a side of Anger
5-Anger^2

Also whilst I get that Erin is angry, his constant shouting is just plain annoying.

Also, what kind of guard tells a mother that her child was eaten and that there is no hope for anyone? They're supposed to be guards, goddammit, as in, THE MILITARY.
How far did you watch? Please don't think i'm attacking you, i'm just curious as although at the start of the story (when he's a kid) he does do alot of shouting, but after the time skip he doe's a much wider range of shouting. I won't lie, Eren is a loud character (I think AoT is classed as Shounen so just part of the course really) but he does have alot more to yell than just anger.
About halfway into episode 2, at the point at which my ears started hurting(though I was ill at the time), I just said "NOPE"(and yes, his mother dying was pretty recent, but he was just angry for the most part, and little sadness, besides, he was already angsty even before her death(scene with the guard and all))

Sorry if I seemed to unfairly attack SnK, but after Naruto and NGE, I have a very low tolerance for angst.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think the show is terrible, the animation is the best I've ever seen, and the soundtrack is pretty good, but like I said, low tolerance for angst.
Gonna be honest with you right off the bat. Eren, is the most dull character of the series. Just flat out telling you. He has a right to be angry, yes, but what kept me going throughout the series were teh other FAR MORE interesting characters who had some personality and weight in their deaths.

Thing is that while Eren's supposed to be one of the protagonists, he's the least interesting one, and that kind of sucks, but at the same time it really lets me enjoy the show to know there are others in the series who are far better than him in terms of skill and overall writing.

Just my two cents on your judgement of Eren.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
VanQ said:
You mean people actually watched this garbage? There are far better shows out there.
I do agree (Not on the garbage part, given taht I've seen true anime garbage. Cough SAO Cough), but we still have a while to wait for JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 3: Stardust Crusaders to get animated by Studio David and Blazblue: Altered Memory has only just started airing.

Then again, it's still better than watching Naruto, Bleach and One Piece (3 Animes that I have given up on due to their god awful plot contrivance and never ending fillers)

rbstewart7263

Nov 2, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
Kenjitsuka said:
My advice; don't bother with the show.
Ranks as a mere OKAY, if you've seen more than a few Anime...
There's tons better out there.
Says the person with a Claymore avatar.

I lol'd

OT: How could you not like Kawaii Titan!

[HEADING=1]SO KAWAII![/HEADING]
get it. hes pointing out the irony of you calling it ok when you like claymore! XD

claymore btw the show that was basically just genderbent berserk when ya get down to it.;D

rbstewart7263

Nov 2, 2010
Vausch said:
Mahorfeus said:
I like the premise, and what I've read so far, but the artwork for the manga looks like an absolute train wreck.
There's a couple of reasons for that actually.

The Titans are meant to look like strangely inhuman humanoids as if they're native residents of the uncanny valley, and this winds up shifting to the people as well. The sensation that every character is slightly off in some way art wise gives this uneasy feeling and gives the artwork this foreboding sense of something not being right with pretty much anybody, even the good guys. It's similar to how some view the voice acting in Silent Hill as an additional way to suggest the characters have something wrong with them, even though they seem normal.

That's just my perspective as a comic artist myself. Isayama is quite capable of some great artwork, especially for action scenes, but the first year chapters kinda sell his talents short. I'll grant some things I can't overlook like how he draws hands

but that's my view of it.
didnt shigurui death frenzy also employ those same artistic principles?

rbstewart7263

Nov 2, 2010
Frankster said:
TimeLord said:
Not sure what i should spoiler so to be safe gonna spoiler entire answer:

Yeh i loved that episode! I was really fond of levis squad and was heartbroken that it was a total team wipe... But that's what made it my favorite episode of the series :p

But what i meant about the eren example was for a second, i honestly thought the protagonist was killed to show how futile it is to believe willpower alone can beat the titans. Instead eren is turning out to be the classic shonen hero, which i just find boring as hell.

Otherwise regarding characters with plot armor...Id say mikasa and levi are the only other 2 characters that have it.
I don't see either of these characters just dieing randomly, would take super titans to kill them.
Everyone else is fair game though :D And hopefully the series will continue in that route!
but wasnt eren reminded of this when he was unable to defeat annie the first time. then again I guess all that willpower did help him in round 2. still I get the feeling that he will have to become more skillful to keep up with levi/mikasa

captainballsack

Feb 13, 2013
Kenjitsuka said:
My advice; don't bother with the show.
Ranks as a mere OKAY, if you've seen more than a few Anime...
There's tons better out there.
Shh.

Attack on Titan is the best thing I've seen since Cowboy Bebop and Evangelion. Sure it has a bit of a pacing problem, and I might not be the biggest oktaku to walk the earth, but I would be lying if I said that it didn't have me on the edge of my seat. Plus, that art style and that quality of animation? Not to mention, I haven't seen any fan-service whatsoever and it stands tall with HBO quality writing.

Attack on Titan is definitely above average. Don't take this as me making assumptions about you, but a lot of people seem to discredit it purely based on its (well deserved) popularity.

This is just my take on it though. It is definitely one of the best anime this year.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
shintakie10 said:
So many people die its ridiculous. About the only ones who don't die are the people in the main intro sequence...
You say that but...

Levi's squad were part of the intro sequence and look what happened to them!

But yeah, I agree about Mikasa though

VanQ said:
Opinions. Opinions everywhere.

Some people like it, some don't. You don't like it but that doesn't mean it's garbage for everyone else who enjoys it.

Martin Yao

Jun 19, 2012
Well, I read the manga,(I have not watched the anime), more for the jigsaw puzzle plot and the mystery than for the action and drama.

What I really hate is the fact that before the anime came out nobody gives a damn about the manga, but when the anime comes out, everyone loses their mind over the anime.

neoontime

I forgot what this was before...
Jul 10, 2009
VanQ said:
Don't mean to attack, but I would seriously like to know what you suggest. I think AoT is good but it's far from faults.
It tends to drag on a bit

Eren just being a freaking psychopath at times, mind specifically the kid scene. I mean did that scene where he just happen to find Mikasa's family's murderers and kill them without question, by himself for gosh sakes, really have to happen!

Some characters just happen to be serious titan killers compared to everybody. The fact that Mikasa just "is" god-tier is annoying.
If you have better suggestions I'd like to know since I really can't find many good animes.

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
TimeLord said:
Frankster said:

As a 40k fan, im rather fond of Attack on Titan for its high casualty rates amongst the cannon fodder and a certain air of mystery and despair as time and time again heroic charges end up in disaster.

When eren got eaten that first time i was cheering and ready to worship Attack on Titan as a totally awesome anime which ain't afraid to take risks...Meh that didn't last :/

Ain't gonna say its best anime evar and wouldnt know enough about anime to make such a call anyways, but i just enjoy how expendable everyone is and taking bets on peoples survival rates. Hopefully it can keep up this vibe.
To be fair, it isn't exactly lacking on the character killing.

Yeah Eren got eaten early on and survived but then Levi's entire team got wiped out to a man. Apart from Eren I don't think there's anyone in the anime that has strong enough plot armour to exempt them from dying.
Well...
I am pretty sure Armin and Mikasa will have strong enough plot armor. Then again... Maybe one of them will die to make Eren break a blood vessel in anger.