Attack on Titan weird, wild, and possibly innaccurate fan theories! (spoilers!)

titankore

Nov 10, 2009
Alrighty ladies and gentlemen, we are here today to posit our or others theories on the series Attack on Titan. We may go up to chpt 50, so be careful if you have not reached that point.

For those of you who are not initiated this is the basic concept:

Zombie "Wolverines" (xmen who can heal any injury within minutes)ranging from 15-150 feet tall go around eating people while an army of spidermen zip around at high speeds fighting them with boxcutter swords, and every other episode is an Uncle Ben/Gwen Stacy tragedy, as it would be written by George R. R. Martin (A Game of Thrones, Author) and the writing team of the "Walking dead" working in collaboration.

Go watch episode one here legally, one episode is all you need to know if you love or hate it:
http://www.crunchyroll.com/attack-on-titan/episode-1-to-you-2000-years-in-the-future-the-fall-of-zhiganshina-1-623251

Basic energy creation and storage:
Okay, titans have no known use for eating, and from the examples of Seany and Bean they require only sunlight (and possibly water drawn from water vapor). There are two possibilities on how they store energy, they either photosynthesize and process the glucose from normal photosynthesis into ethanol, the other is that somehow they convert various solar radiation and store it in the form of heat. The first theory would explain how titans effectively evaporate, between the high internal temperature and being mostly composed of ethanol, carbon from the air and a few other materials in limited amounts they of course would burn up once homeostasis was compromised. The heat theory on the other hand explains the burning but since the only examples of heat=energy I can think of is technological and not biological, it is really hard take this hypothesis any further.

Deviations in Titan behavior, energy levels, and how cutting the neck kills them and how it relates to Titan reproduction:

Of course looking at the examples again of Seany and Bean we have the question of why one shuts down immediately after being cut off from sunlight while the other doesn?t, and if it might relate to why one can feel pain and the other doesn?t? (HUGE FUCKING SPOILER FOR THIS ONE!)
For this we have to look at Ymir, another titan shifter who had previously been a regular titan before eating another titan shifter. I believe that when a titan eats and vomits up a crystallized? slurry of human victims they are effectively laying an egg. If left unchecked after a few years the crystal continues to force the human victims together into a homogenized fluid before forming a? the closest term would be nucleus of a titan. It would effectively look like a human fetus during development, but as soon as it is finished developing a fully grown titan body grows and cracks out of the cocoon.

I believe that the differences in behavior and strength depend on the development of this titan nucleus. After decades they are able to store and use energy more efficiently, develop pain receptors and be able to recognize pain, even develop new behaviors (deviants).

I believe that Titan shifters or at least the ones who infiltrated the wall are ones that after a long development gained self awareness. The titan nucleus developed from a fetus into their full human bodies. When Ymir ate a full titan shifter she effectively took steroids that super sped this process taking her from a deviant to a full shifter.

The titan?s nucleus is essentially what provides the instructions on how the titan?s body is maintained, much like a nucleus in a living cell. Once it is gone the body quickly breaks up.

Of course all this raises the question of how Eren can become a Titan, as he definitely did not wander around as a titan for a couple years, he was born and raised human. The answer is the shot given to him by his father. He somehow gained access to either the catalyzing fluid (crystal material that makes ?titan eggs?) or possibly genetic material from a titan nucleus and injected it directly into him. Like the eggs it took years for the changes to take effect, as more than once he was injured while also having a clear goal in mind (3D gear basic training). It is possible that floating in the catalyzing fluid helped trigger his initial change.

That is what I have so far, and I know most of them will probably be wrong or very off at best, but it was fun.

titankore

Nov 10, 2009
Based on chpt 50 I think...

My guess is that the original creator of the wall was someone with the ability to control Titans. The ape titan is possibly another such being with this power, possibly even some kind of "alpha" titan and created the virus that turned humans into Titans (if they originally were)

If we look back at my previous theory at their lifecycle it may be that the creator of the wall wanted to create a temporary place of safety for until all or at least enough titans became sentient that human's could safely leave the walls.

Eren's father might have found the specific section of wall containing the wall creator in a crystallized form within the interior walls and used it as the basis of the vaccine given to Eren.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
I honestly each titan is a specific human being's "form" and there are some exceptions. Such as women (Though they are more rare).

Perhaps their purpose is searching for "their" human being.

titankore

Nov 10, 2009
Terminate421 said:
I honestly each titan is a specific human being's "form" and there are some exceptions. Such as women (Though they are more rare).

You think that a titan may be more or less a "mech" searching for a pilot? That is certainly interesting. Could you elaborate more on it?

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
titankore said:
Terminate421 said:

You think that a titan may be more or less a "mech" searching for a pilot? That is certainly interesting. Could you elaborate more on it?
If you notice different sized titans may also go with different ages (Children being 6 meter class for example). The Titan's just seem to run on instinct, searching for their individual human side.

I just feel humans and titans are more linked than just in appearance.

titankore

Nov 10, 2009
Terminate421 said:
If you notice different sized titans may also go with different ages (Children being 6 meter class for example). The Titan's just seem to run on instinct, searching for their individual human side.

I just feel humans and titans are more linked than just in appearance.
In the theory I wrote in the spoilers, I think that their basis is human, sort of an infection into a new form sort of thing. The sizes are more or less just random.

Still, that is an interesting theory.

sweetylnumb

Sep 4, 2011
Well you guys are discussing zeh comics so i ain't going to read it. But just out of interest, what do you think of the Anime which is all the rage lately? does it do them justice?

Dyan

Nov 27, 2009
I think it's quite possible that all titans were once titan shifters. At least one character has said that they were a titan for at least a few decades. Perhaps all titans are just people who have all resemblence of their humanity and are just acting upon their basic instincts?

titankore

Nov 10, 2009
sweetylnumb said:
Well you guys are discussing zeh comics so i ain't going to read it. But just out of interest, what do you think of the Anime which is all the rage lately? does it do them justice?
The anime is about 95% accurate to the manga, I think that for the most part some fairly small things happened in a different order and in the last 2 episodes a conversation got skipped over and some things like that.

Generally the only complaint I have is that the pacing is a bit wonky but that can be explained as "The manga hasn't got that far yet!" syndrome. Also the titans are more varied looking in the manga with some looking super fucked up.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
I think they are some kind of Super soldier weapon/program gone wild myself. I base this not only on the fact that there are titan shifters, but how when the ape titan invaded rather that putting a hole in the wall he instead converted the people of that one kids villages into titans.

People who can control themselves keep the real body inside the titan essentially driving it. The people who cant get absorbed into the form making it so that can't be freed from the form unless they lose control and are freed early or regain control over time. However only those of really strong will can do this.

sweetylnumb

Sep 4, 2011
titankore said:
sweetylnumb said:
The anime is about 95% accurate to the manga, I think that for the most part some fairly small things happened in a different order and in the last 2 episodes a conversation got skipped over and some things like that.

Generally the only complaint I have is that the pacing is a bit wonky but that can be explained as "The manga hasn't got that far yet!" syndrome. Also the titans are more varied looking in the manga with some looking super fucked up.
Yeah, the fucked up-ness of the titans is something i as a newbie was quite astonished by. It was basically a study in the uncanny valley. It also made me feel kind of bad because my mind was telling me i was looking at a very over exaggerated mentally disabled person :/

White Lightning

Feb 9, 2012
Darks63 said:
Letters formed in an order to create words
I have a theory similar to yours, in the sense that Titans used to be Humans who lost control of the power. I'm basing this on the Anime however (I haven't read the Manga but I have looked at the wiki).

When Eren was sealing the wall he transformed and falcon punched himself, and began to have visions of being at home and didn't want to get up. It wasn't until Armin convinced him too that he picked up the boulder. Also when Armin was trying to get Eren out of the Titan he said that he was fusing with it.

I think the Titans are people who fully fused with their Titan form, and just wander around eating out of instinct. I think the Ape Titan may have been an animal test subject of a more advanced form of the Titan weapon, which may explain why he's smarter.

I'm probably wrong about the Ape Titan though.

Where do you buy Manga from anyways? Would a normal bookstore like Chapters have them? I've never read one before so I'm not sure where to buy it.

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
White Lightning said:
Where do you buy Manga from anyways? Would a normal bookstore like Chapters have them? I've never read one before so I'm not sure where to buy it.
Crunchyroll now carry it, I believe. I'm not sure if they have it right up to date though, and you may have to face import charges depending on where you live. It's also available on Amazon.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
Another fun one i saw on a manga site was that the reason titans eat people. When a titan eats enough people they puke the bodies all up into a pile and the pile, if not burned, will turn into to new titans. Didn't buy it myself but the fact that they disposed of the bodies via burning soon after the retaking of wall maria lends some evidence to that theory.

titankore

Nov 10, 2009
Darks63 said:
Another fun one i saw on a manga site was that the reason titans eat people. When a titan eats enough people they puke the bodies all up into a pile and the pile, if not burned, will turn into to new titans. Didn't buy it myself but the fact that they disposed of the bodies via burning soon after the retaking of wall maria lends some evidence to that theory.
They burned them because of health reasons. It is a lot of people living in close proximity and with 1890s medical technology at the very best. Any dead bodies lying around for more than a day or two could easily mean a plaque.