Attack on Titan: your opinion on Eren

mrepicface12

Jul 14, 2014
I'd have to say that you guys are right about Eren not having a good and memorable personality, but going from the statement about killing off Eren in the beginning of the series, I don't think that it would be a good idea mainly because the makers would get a lot of fan hate. I do say that however, Eren is a complete idiot! He can't see whats right in front of him, ya'know, Mikasa has made it so obvious that she likes him, but he needs slapped to realize how obvious it is. It's surprising he even can talk with that stupidity. One thing that I wish they do in the next season is dig into Eren's emotions and finally let the audience know if he really does have feelings for anyone. I also don't like how they decided to imply that he sorta-kinda likes Annie, and I really do hope that they do trash that pairing. (MIKAERE FTW!!) I do agree though that they did screw things up in what should have happened in attack on titan. Eren's personality is way too dark and bland for my taste. The whole thing that they did with Eren being a moody stuck up asshole (pardon my language) really frustrates me. Although I do say the powers he has are really cool, and how they introduced them is interesting, they're going at how he acts all wrong and like I said, TRASH THE ANNIE X EREN IDEA! So pretty much have an episode that makes him realize that his actions and emotions are screwed up, he should lighten up a little...maybe get laid by someone *cough* (Mikasa!) And he should also have and episode where he starts "noticing" some of the ladies in his squad, if ya'know what I mean. *whink* x)

mrepicface12

Jul 14, 2014
He's not really annoying to me, just not very thought out. But thay should add an episode in the anime and a book in the manga about him finally noticing some ladies, particularly in his squad, even more particularly someone he saved from rape. Hint Hint

Twintix

Jun 28, 2014
Yeah, like some others have said, it's a shame that a show with such an interesting premise and colorful supporting cast has such a bland and uninteresting main character. I was so disappointed when

I thought that Eren died near the end of volume 1. It would've been a great set-up for a really bleak world to have him as a decoy protagonist and have him die. Instead, he gets a bullshit Deus Ex Machina superpower that's activated through anger because of fucking course it is!

I wouldn't find this nearly as annoying if this wasn't a staple characterization for pretty much every "serious" anime/manga ever. Problematic, because Eren's reactions to things are actually fairly realistic; His world is really shitty, after all. For shame that I've seen his character archetype far too often.

His saving grace is that he doesn't always succeed; In fact, he's failed numerous times. He's not this invincible superhuman (Okay, he kinda is, but you know what I mean), and he's far from the best. That makes him just a little more believable and relatable. And he's having to learn how to control his anger instead of just blindly raging at everything, which is a step in the right direction.

I actually like Attack on Titan a lot, but not because of Eren. It's because of the other characters.

mrepicface12

Jul 14, 2014
Twintix said:
Yeah, like some others have said, it's a shame that a show with such an interesting premise and colorful supporting cast has such a bland and uninteresting main character. I was so disappointed when

I thought that Eren died near the end of volume 1. It would've been a great set-up for a really bleak world to have him as a decoy protagonist and have him die. Instead, he gets a bullshit Deus Ex Machina superpower that's activated through anger because of fucking course it is!

I wouldn't find this nearly as annoying if this wasn't a staple characterization for pretty much every "serious" anime/manga ever. Problematic, because Eren's reactions to things are actually fairly realistic; His world is really shitty, after all. For shame that I've seen his character archetype far too often.

His saving grace is that he doesn't always succeed; In fact, he's failed numerous times. He's not this invincible superhuman (Okay, he kinda is, but you know what I mean), and he's far from the best. That makes him just a little more believable and relatable. And he's having to learn how to control his anger instead of just blindly raging at everything, which is a step in the right direction.

I actually like Attack on Titan a lot, but not because of Eren. It's because of the other characters.
True that my friend.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
At first, he was just the typical angry anime character. Later, he starts to get interesting. Now, I'm not sure the series qualify him as "main character".

The_Blue_Rider

Sep 4, 2009
While I think the story would have been mre interesting if Eren actually died when he was eaten by the titan, I still like him because he is somewhat of a crazy asshole. We dont really have enough of those in media. Like, he's actually angry to a fault, and left to his own devices he would have died a very long time ago. Also later on in the manga, I like how they establish that he himself isnt that important in the grand scheme of things. Whatever makes him special can be very easily passed onto another person. It also helps that he's spent the last several months being bound and gagged, and having other people do all the fighting