Attack The Block Should Be Called Aliens Vs. Thugs

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Attack The Block Should Be Called Aliens Vs. Thugs

Nick Frost (sans Simon Pegg) is teaming up with some terrifying teenagers to fight off some less-terrifying aliens.

Alien invasion movies seem to be on a rise these days. Essentially, they're this year's zombie movies. Next week will see the release of Battle: Los Angeles in theaters, and we're apparently going to see the release of Attack the Block <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attack_the_Block#Attack_the_Block>this coming April. The film is premiering later this month at the South By Southwest film fest in Austen, TX, which means that the trailer has just been released.

So here's the basic premise: a bunch of UFOs start crash-landing in what seems to be a seedy area of London, and some local teenaged thugs wind up working together to fight them off. Oh, and there's a bunch of obnoxious teen posing and bragging, along with Nick Frost making a cameo appearance as one of the kids' neighbors. The aliens, which seem to be kept largely in shadow for the trailer, look interesting, but it's hard to pass judgment without getting a better look.

OK, so I'm assuming you've watched the trailer by now. Perhaps you can answer the following question: What the hell did we just watch? Is it an action-comedy? A Teen adventure film? A bizarre celebration of chav counter-culture? All I know for certain is that I wanted to see more Nick Frost and fewer of those terrifying teens.

Source: Empire Online via <a href=http://io9.com/#!5775632/first-trailer-for-nick-frosts-uk-alien-invasion-flick-attack-the-block>io9

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
I agree, what what the hell..? Though I will admit, I am slightly intriged.

K_Dub

Oct 19, 2008
Wow. British kids sound really annoying.

EDIT: Okay, thanks guys. You've all informed me that the accents in the trailer are chav, not British. Now stop correcting me already! I understand my mistake, and knowing me, I'll probably make the same mistake some other time.

pparrish

Oct 2, 2008
This film is directed and, I think, also written by Joe Cornish of Adam & Joe BBC Radio (and Channel 4 TV) fame. That's likely to either mean nothing to you, or be a guarantee of something pretty interesting.

NeedAUserName said:
Gotta love Joe Cornish.
Yeah, like this guy says ...

Just coming!

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
I think it got screened for critics for the first time yesterday - they're under embargo, but general buzz seems to be extremely positive.

I'm guessing some people may need a translation of the trailer though.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Is this actually what passes for "thugs" around London? Or is it just some locale specific joke I simply don't get? In any case, if there needs to be a "thugs vs aliens" movie, the proper large (likely black) and scary American variety would be the way to go if the thugs were to be taken seriously.

Anyways, I'm assuming the point isn't to be taken seriously, and those "badass" "thugs" are meant to appear as humorously pathetic and unintimidating as they do.

Also, dear god do I hate the accents, going to have to watch it muted, or possibly a foreign language version with subtitles.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
Yeah, the preview doesn't really give a good feel for what it's genre is. Usually when the do that it's because execs fear people won't like what it's actual feel is. (example: the weatherman)

FogHornG36 said:
The aliens had to land in England so that people wouldn't have guns to fight them
HA!

Numachuka

Sep 3, 2010
K_Dub said:
Britain = England, Scotland and Wales.

Are you saying they have all the Scottish, Welsh and English accents?

http://www.chasingambulances.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/the_more_you_know2.jpg

Jul 22, 2009
ace_of_something said:
Yeah, the preview doesn't really give a good feel for what it's genre is. Usually when the do that it's because execs fear people won't like what it's actual feel is. (example: the weatherman)
I actually watched an interview on this yesterday... the director wanted to make a 'Comedy-Horror' film, and he said there was no point making it horror unless it was actually scary.

So it's an interesting genre blend.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Jadak said:
Is this actually what passes for "thugs" around London? Or is it just some locale specific joke I simply don't get? In any case, if there needs to be a "thugs vs aliens" movie, the proper large (likely black) and scary American variety would be the way to go if the thugs were to be taken seriously.

Anyways, I'm assuming the point isn't to be taken seriously, and those "badass" "thugs" are meant to appear as humorously pathetic and unintimidating as they do.

Also, dear god do I hate the accents, going to have to watch it muted, or possibly a foreign language version with subtitles.
The only person who called them thugs was vansau in the article.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
K_Dub said:
lol British kids lmao those sir are known as the lowest of scum called "chavs" and they also need to be destroyed from society.