AU Cops Say Games Make Teens Sucky Drivers

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
xitel said:
I don't know about you guys, but when I started driving, seeing as how I wasn't using a controller for a control interface, I didn't try to drive like it was a video game.

No?

Jul 9, 2008
nathan-dts said:
Nimbus said:
nathan-dts said:
Nimbus said:
Video games get blamed for yet another of the worlds problems. Congratulations police force of Austrailia, you just made my list.
I thought I was the only one who had a list; who's on yours?
Well for starters, "Jack Thompson" is written on top, multiple times, in large print, with blood. I'm sure you can fill in the blanks from there.
Jack Thompson is no longer a thread; a while back his legal license was erm what's the word, Voided, rejected, cancelled? (something along those lines)

My top of the list is everyone remotely involved with EA (even the coffee guy)
You're looking for "disbarred"

Anyway, don't forget that dude in south Australia who's name escapes me.

EDIT: Michael Atkinson, right?

broadband

Dec 15, 2007
honestly my brother love racing games and the way he drives isnt very smooth, and he has aroung 24 years

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
Amnestic said:
xitel said:
I don't know about you guys, but when I started driving, seeing as how I wasn't using a controller for a control interface, I didn't try to drive like it was a video game.

No?
See now, I don't use steering wheels for video games. I use the analog sticks. So... that would be the difference.

Ronwue

Oct 22, 2008
Well... to tell the truth there's only one thing missing. People complaining about aliens going extinct because of video games.

Ace of Spades

Jul 12, 2008
I love driving like a maniac in GTA4 throwing grenades out the window as I run people over and generally cause as much havoc as possible, but I'm careful and cautious behind the wheel. I have to be; I'm taking my driving test next week.

RebelRising

Jan 5, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
Uhh, hello? Maybe you guys should listen to the people actually affected by this, instead of just saying its baseless automatically (which is baseless itself if you think about it). As a young Australian driver, he has a point. Too many times I'm tempted to just ram the guy ahead of me.
Sure, but is it inspired by your playing of video-games?

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
It's true! I used to be a great driver. And then I played Burnout...

*Cries* They wouldn't stop bleeding!

glambo

Oct 9, 2008
i cant count the number of times i been tempted to drive like a maniac after having played way too much gran turismo. those endurance races alone were enough to push me past the point of safe driving on my way to pick up a much deserved victory 18-pack. wheee!

Jeronus

Nov 14, 2008
If you think you can run head first into a semi and keep on driving then by all means try it. I call it Darwinism.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
xitel said:
Amnestic said:
xitel said:

No?
See now, I don't use steering wheels for video games. I use the analog sticks. So... that would be the difference.
Ah, but you do not represent every gamer, so while your argument works for you, it doesn't apply to everyone out there. Heck, thebobmaster has already expressed an interest in the wheel and he's only seen a picture!

Now while I don't agree with the AU cops and think they can kindly go look for another scapegoat for AU teen drivers sucking, I was merely making the observation that your argument might not reflect the EveryGamer and as such is flawed :)

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
Amnestic said:
xitel said:
Amnestic said:
xitel said:

No?
Ah, but you do not represent every gamer, so while your argument works for you, it doesn't apply to everyone out there. Heck, thebobmaster has already expressed an interest in the wheel and he's only seen a picture!

Now while I don't agree with the AU cops and think they can kindly go look for another scapegoat for AU teen drivers sucking, I was merely making the observation that your argument might not reflect the EveryGamer and as such is flawed :)
But that assumes that I was attempting to make an argument intended to represent the Everygamer. Rather, in this case I was positing a statement reflecting my own semi-unique personality. Therefore, your argument that my argument does not represent the Everygamer, while not flawed, is moot.

Link Kadeshi

Oct 17, 2008
Ok, I see now! It all makes perfect sense! Finally, someone in the world figured out who invented car crashes. Thank Nayru this has been told to us, horrid sinners. It is all so obvious now, the first car accident came right after the first racing game. Thanks Mr. Evans, I'm glad to find out the lack of proper parental supervision isn't detrimental to anything in the world, yet again.

-This sarcasim filled post brought to you by: Gerber brand baby food. Now 100% more monkey!-

bue519

Oct 3, 2007
rougeknife said:
Looks like the APF got tired of blaming booze and the Lebanese... eh, a lot aussie kids these days are a bunch of fucking morons these days.
Arn't all teenagers?

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
orannis62 said:
EDIT: Michael Atkinson, right?
Yep, that's the bugger's name. Though, he's the Governor-General of South Australia, while this wanker is from New South Wales (and no, he does not represent the views of New South Welshmen, 'specially not me).

rougeknife said:
Looks like the APF got tired of blaming booze and the Lebanese... eh, a lot aussie kids these days are a bunch of fucking morons these days.
That made me LOL... heh, blame the Lebanese. It's sad though, that it seems that having olive skin and a long beard, or just olive skin, means that you're automatically being kept an eye on by the police.

Gitsnik

May 13, 2008
Jursa said:
Wow... I never through video game haters would step to even driving... Ok so the only proof of that you have if a person who actually crashes has a racing game or gta copy... Why not just blame anyone with a computer/console I mean almost any young driver has atleast played a game where you drive something.
I'm reminded of a lawyer whom was humiliated by me (16 at the time) who tried to suggest that my friends died because we played GTA and NFS. I was nearly in contempt of court for suggesting that he must be a corrupt individual because he was a lawyer. The point is that 5 or so years ago they were trying this bullshit and nothing seems to have changed.

So in the immortal words of slashdot: nothing to see here, move along.

Arkfeller

Nov 14, 2007
It's almost shameful living under this government - first it's one reason, tomorrow it's the next, what are they going to blame next week?
If every teenager was inclined to do what could be done in GTA, well, then, we'd be in post-apocalypse. Just think about how many people have played games that involve, in one way or another, cars bashing into walls.

A random person

Apr 20, 2009
I drive in an action movie like way in games, but in real life I'm quite cautious. When go-karting I drive too carefully. I wouldn't do any of those tricks in real life because being about to crash in a fast moving vehicle scares the crap out of me. Then again, go-karts aren't exactly protective.