Auction House FAQ

Gus Mastrapa

Jul 31, 2011
Auction House FAQ

Have questions about Blizzard's decision to use real money for player-to-player exchanges in Diablo III? You are not alone.

Read Full Article

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Basically "Players nowadays are a bunch of spoiled kids, that only WANT WANT WANT without trying to do anything, and they are impatient while playing a hack and slash so instead of allowing RMT to do the job, we are doing it for them."

In before RMT exists anyway and is much cheaper. AND THE RMT WILL USE THE AUCTION SYSTEM BLIZZARD MADE

The irony...

OverweightWhale

Apr 19, 2010
Jim From Accounting said:
Oh god, this cant go well. some kid will probable steal his moms credit card and fuck everything over,
Your most likely right. Who knows how many times that has happened in other games with similar features.

Bigsmith

Mar 16, 2009
Oh great, I give it a week before something like this is introduced into WOW.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Abedeus said:
Basically "Players nowadays are a bunch of spoiled kids, that only WANT WANT WANT without trying to do anything, and they are impatient while playing a hack and slash so instead of allowing RMT to do the job, we are doing it for them."

In before RMT exists anyway and is much cheaper. AND THE RMT WILL USE THE AUCTION SYSTEM BLIZZARD MADE

The irony...
What's this RMT, someone care to elaborate?

Bigsmith said:
I wouldn't doubt that once Diablo 3 has been out for awhile they'd introduce this system to WoW. Both games are "item based" so I don't see why Diablo needed this more than WoW. This would have shut down all those damned gold selling spammers years ago as the players would have run them all out of business.

I'm not too sure what to think of this system. On the surface it sounds like a brilliant idea they should have done years ago but it bothers me that they take a cut from your auction money three times. Once to post it, another if you sell it, and a third time if you take it off your battle.net account. The first two are okay but that last one kinda irks me because it seems like they're penalizing you for not using the money on their products. They already got a cut from the posting and sale, why is a third cut needed to actually receive your money?

matoos

Apr 20, 2010
Am I the only one who is concerned by the implications? Wouldn't this mean that the game requires you to be constantly online to be sure that you're not creating any items illegally? Doesn't this open a host of security concerns from a myriad of other directions?

Marohen

Jun 30, 2009
matoos said:
Am I the only one who is concerned by the implications? Wouldn't this mean that the game requires you to be constantly online to be sure that you're not creating any items illegally? Doesn't this open a host of security concerns from a myriad of other directions?
The auction house likely doesn't work in single-player, I'm sure you can't bring items over from single-player, and in multi-player... Well... You're obviously going to need an internet connection.

EDIT: Apparently there'll be no offline singleplayer, this is not what I was expecting of Blizzard. =I

ScorpioT

Jul 22, 2011
matoos said:
Yep. You'll have to be always online to play Diablo 3. It's essentially an MMO now.

Edit: To poster above me, Diablo 3 doesn't have an offline single player component.

Vakz

Crafting Stars
Nov 22, 2010
Haha, this better be a joke. This just in: D3 preorder canceled!

Kamehapa

Oct 8, 2009
Am I the only one LOLOLOLing that Blizzard has now done what all the Doomsayers were predicting with the release of the sparkle ponies?

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
KeyMaster45 said:
Abedeus said:

The irony...
Real money trading. When you are too lazy to get in-game money or farm the item, you pay someone for that item. Or to level up your character, or a skill, or something related to game, but always with real money in $.

No offline mode also pisses me off. I play Diablo 2 a lot these days, even after 10 bloody years, but only when my Internet is down. Because it's still an enjoyable game with mods. Ubisoft already noticed how much it hurts the sales...

Gather

Apr 9, 2009
It was already happening in Diablo 2; I remember being told a Stone of Jordan was worth ~$10 or something.

Why not just make it official so you can better police it?

Jim From Accounting

Mar 10, 2010
OverweightWhale said:
Oh god, this cant go well. some kid will probable steal his moms credit card and fuck everything over,
Your most likely right. Who knows how many times that has happened in other games with similar features.
its one of the big things that i dont like about the PSN because of how easy it is to put a credit card on it, and all there going to be getting is dlc. this has the WoW effect that will happen to it where you get kids that just dont know when to stop and then only time will tell what will happen to them

Fleshy

Sep 26, 2010
KeyMaster45 said:
Abedeus said:

The irony...

Bigsmith said:
I wouldn't doubt that once Diablo 3 has been out for awhile they'd introduce this system to WoW. Both games are "item based" so I don't see why Diablo needed this more than WoW. This would have shut down all those damned gold selling spammers years ago as the players would have run them all out of business.

I'm not too sure what to think of this system. On the surface it sounds like a brilliant idea they should have done years ago but it bothers me that they take a cut from your auction money three times. Once to post it, another if you sell it, and a third time if you take it off your battle.net account. The first two are okay but that last one kinda irks me because it seems like they're penalizing you for not using the money on their products. They already got a cut from the posting and sale, why is a third cut needed to actually receive your money?
I don't really see this system moving to WoW. While both games are gear-focused, they work differently on some key points.

First, gear in Diablo is is random drops with random stats, which means that a really good drop will be sufficiently rare to consider selling if it drops for you, or to consider buying it if you stumble upon it on the AH. In WoW however, (worthwhile) gear has predetermined stats, and drops from fixed (and in current content short) loot tables, so you'll always know where to get better gear at a somewhat reliable rate.

Secondly, items in Diablo are not bound your character or account, allowing them to reenter the economy if needed. In WoW, once you buy or equip an item it is forever out the economy (not counting selling it as vendor trash).

Finally, I'd say (assuming Diablo 3's content works like in D1 and D2) progression is measured differently in WoW and Diablo (3). In WoW your gear progression is (or should be) a means to an end, and will be hard capped due the predetermined nature mention above, where the real progression is meassured in your progression through content.
On the other hand, in Diablo your character's progression is the main goal of the game. You'll most likely have cleared all content long before you reach max level, and then the main goal becomes to get those rare, super lucky drops with just the right stats.

My only real concern with this system is how they will prevent the gold AH from being flooded gold bought on the currency AH. On the other hand though, Considering that everyone will be grinding/farming in some form as they play (as opposed to an actual MMO where there often is a distiction between time spend farming and time spend progressing), a dedicated goldfarmer/trader shouldn't have too much of an advantage (i hope).

Sprinal

Jan 27, 2010
They probably will introduce a limit on the number of transactions to avoid this.

Still it is a legitimate concern.

Alexnader

$20 For Steve
May 18, 2009
Screw it I'm buying this game. Parents say "And how much did you earn winning that game of TF2?", "You need a job". Guess what, I HAVE a job. Earning epic loot and selling in Diablo 3 :p