Augmented Reality

Luftwaffles

Apr 24, 2010
Just saw this video that Google put up showcasing augmented reality possibilities

At the moment it looks like something that works like or possibly works in conjunction with a smartphone. I have mixed feelings about this. Its quite impressive but on the other hand, the video seemed to focus on the 'social media' aspect of the device. Augmented maps would be interesting, so would that live video function.

So for discussion, are you excited for tech like this? Would anyone want friend popups in the corner of your eye. Knowing google, would you like ad popups when you walk around.

Fitzcaraldo

Member of three secret societies
Feb 2, 2011
Oh yeah, I saw an article on this in my local paper. Some real awesome sci-fi stuff there. Although come on man, you need directions to find the music section of a book store? Searching through book stores for the book you want is half the fun!

Dansen

Master Lurker
Mar 24, 2010
Looks cool.
As long as this stuff can be shut off I'm all for it. However, I'm a bit worried that if this type of technology isn't handled well enough we will become too dependent on it.

Miles000

is most likly drunk righyt noiw!
Apr 18, 2010
Dansen said:
Looks cool.
As long as this stuff can be shut off I'm all for it. However, I'm a bit worried that if this type of technology isn't handled well enough we will become too dependent on it.
I know people that can barely function without their phone now days.
Cant imagine what something like this would be to them.

Fitzcaraldo

Feb 2, 2011
Miles000 said:
Dansen said:
Looks cool.
Isn't this the set-up for Deus Ex: Human Revolution?

Luftwaffles

Apr 24, 2010
Miles000 said:
Dansen said:
Looks cool.
It reminds me of that Futurama episode, The Killer App. Specially that scene where Leela was piloting the ship and chatting on the phone.

Miles000

Apr 18, 2010
Fitzcaraldo said:
Isn't this the set-up for Deus Ex: Human Revolution?
Cue music!
Luftwaffles said:
It reminds me of that Futurama episode, The Killer App. Specially that scene where Leela was piloting the ship and chatting on the phone.
Thaat's daaangeeerous...
inb4 68 car pileup...

I want a HUD on my car windscreen too.

Fitzcaraldo

Feb 2, 2011
Luftwaffles said:
Miles000 said:
Dansen said:
Looks cool.
That's a good point. Even worse than mobiles, because it's always using your eyes, and they seem to just look like glasses, so you can't even pull over people who are using them.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
This is not what I'm looking for from some sort of Augmented Reality. Most of those applications just encourage laziness. How hard is it to look at the signs at a bookstore yourself? What's the point in updating your location on social networks every five seconds?

For sure, I think it would be nice to locate nearby friends if they want to be found. That would make meeting up randomly just a bit easier. But it also gives other people a means to track you. Not sure I want that or any other gimmicky applications which do something that can already be done with a little effort.

Really, being poor at reading body language I could do with a social enhancement program which recognises facial expressions. And other programs which actually do practical and important things.

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
Injury rates and car accidents are going to skyrocket with these. I think it's super cool, but the risk to persons and the public is rather high. Maybe once everyone has cars that drive themselves in 50 years, than we can use this and not have such a risk.

Than again, screw it it's cool right, lol.

Miles000

Apr 18, 2010
MammothBlade said:
This is not what I'm looking for from some sort of Augmented Reality. Most of those applications just encourage laziness. How hard is it to look at the signs at a bookstore yourself? What's the point in updating your location on social networks every five seconds?

For sure, I think it would be nice to locate nearby friends if they want to be found. That would make meeting up randomly just a bit easier. But it also gives other people a means to track you. Not sure I want that or any other gimmicky applications which do something that can already be done with a little effort.

Really, being poor at reading body language I could do with a social enhancement program which recognises facial expressions. And other programs which actually do practical and important things.
Screw facial expressions...
I just need it to recognise faces, and tell me who the fuck I'm talking to and how they know me.
I am the worst with names and faces.

Heronblade

Apr 12, 2011
Plenty of possible applications with this sort of tech, from useful, to just for fun, to utter wastes of time.

It is a bit like the current smartphone craze, it started as a set of phones geared for business applications, for the kind of people that have a genuine need for constant communication, and grew into this ridiculous series of increasingly frivolous applications.

Some of the more interesting possibilities I can think of:
-Architects and engineers could call up a 3d scale model of plans and literally walk through the construction/machine/vehicle/etc. to check for errors/possible improvements on the fly. Could also do the same thing for the sake of their clients.
-Soldiers can use it to keep a tactical map in view, constantly updated by telemetry collected by the entire team.
-Plenty of law enforcement applications, from checking on a suspects alibi/background while still talking to them in the field, to being able to visually scan for details in an area that are very difficult or even impossible to spot normally.
-Superheros can use it to keep track of their health bar and the recharge rate of any personal shields along with... err, sorry, got caught up in the moment

Tiger Sora said:
Injury rates and car accidents are going to skyrocket with these. I think it's super cool, but the risk to persons and the public is rather high. Maybe once everyone has cars that drive themselves in 50 years, than we can use this and not have such a risk.

Than again, screw it it's cool right, lol.
So long as my version of the thing visually highlights any idiots who are using it heavily while driving, while also notifying the highway patrol, I'm fine with that.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
What happens if we lose them though, would we have to pay another $5000 dollars for another pair, and then we have to set them up AGAIN.

Or will they be like Adam Jensen and they are inbuilt into our face so we cannot lose them.

I can't tell which is worse, having to pay a heap of money each time you lose a pair or having them built onto your face.

Okay if Google goes with this I think these glasses need a way to stay on out faces instead of relying on just our ears and nose. (Or am I wrong)

I think it will be helpful but I think it would be good that they know if you are in a dangerous situation like driving and such and turn off or go onto standby so you won't crash, be hit by car or something else dangerous.

I would like these, it could easily tell me were my home or hotel is if I visit another country.
But of course they need to work out the safety kinks PRONTO!

Looks cool though.

EDIT: I couldn't resist what I'm about to do.

Me: Vegeta what does it say about his power level?
Vegeta: IT'S OVER 9000!!!
Me: Over 9000?

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Sounds awesome, although I can just see people now, "It's just a gimmick"

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
overpuce said:
I could also see this being mishandled. I read a book recently, The Diamond Age by Neil Stephenson, and in it, there are 3D interactive advertisements that become personalized the ads are able to pull up your personal information and personality profile to customize their ads to your. This sounds great for advertisers in theory but the ads started getting larger and louder in order to catch your attention so in the end if you were walking along, you would be assaulted by all the signs in the area at once. All in your face, all bright and shiny and all screaming into your ears.

Whose to say that this wouldn't happen with Aug Glasses. You're driving also, a billboard catches that you're using these Aug. Glasses and displays spam. The next billboard catches wind of you so it also spams you. Billboard 1 is competing with Billboard 2 so the ads start getting larger and larger until you are blinded. Annoying in my opinion.
My guess is there will be regulations related to driving with these things. Either they won't be road legal (which will be bad for Google, since I see a lot of potential integration with GPS with this device), or they'll have to make sure they don't interfere with driving somehow.

IlikeLolis

Jan 21, 2010
Augmented reality shall never become truly entertaining or profitable experiance until the gaming industry decides to suck it up and place a girl in front of you and godly powers at your fingertips.

Imagine the sims playing out in your own home, you set up which area is the kitchen/where the stairs are/the bathrooms and mirrors become filled with false reflections and translucent yet strangely blue liquid.

and at the end of the day you see a slightly ruffled bed cover with something bigger than a cat sleeping next to you whispering sweet nothings into your headphones.

Luftwaffles

Apr 24, 2010
Now wait until they come up with a contact lens version. There are also other uses other than what the video shows.

Yknow that hipsterish guitar soundtrack is kinda pleasing...

Jan 13, 2012
Im a bit conflicted on this.

On one hand it could just turn wrong at some point.

But on the other hand it could grow into cybernetic augmemtations and I could look like this