Aussie Gov't Drafting Privacy Law in Wake of PSN Breach

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
John Funk said:
According to WA Today [http://www.watoday.com.au/technology/security/privacy-laws-to-be-beefed-up-following-sony-attack-20110502-1e578.html], the Australian government has announced plans to introduce legislation that will force companies like Sony to announce security breaches and the theft of personal information immediately.

[/B]
Maybe I'm just highly enlightened, but...I'd think that this should already be a law, if not common freaking sense?

Phishfood

Jul 21, 2009
Baresark said:
I still plan on sticking with my plan of not purchasing Sony products in the future. They waited far too long to tell people, and now they have lost my business. Everyone should consider this line of action because there are plenty of companies out there that have kept my information safe without fail. To name a few: Steam, Amazon, and Newegg. I know it's (probably) not Sony's fault for getting attacked like that, and their security was apparently laughable anyway, so they need to be held accountable by people. And it shouldn't take a law to make some sort of reaction felt by Sony. People are so weak, it's actually funny.
To be fair, amazon HAVE been hacked. Admittedly they only lost a relatively small chunk of the DB unlike sony losing the entire thing....

As for insisting that breaches be reported as soon as they are detected, it was? Sony claim it was. I agree that we can't always trust what these mega corps put out there but surely they have enough sense to not try and hide losing their entire DB?

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Irridium said:
Woodsey said:
""The protectors have to be 100 percent perfect in their defense, while the attackers only need to find one tiny ***** to get through.""

Can't really be arsed to read through all the law stuff, but I hope they're not actually basing a law on the premise that a system should be 100% full-proof.

""All companies that collect customers' personal information must ensure that the information is safe and secure from misuse.""

Oh, err... OK then. Maybe they are.
They do realize that anything, anywhere can be hacked, right? I mean yeah, Sony should use more protection when it comes to user data, but saying it must be 100% full-proof? Do they not know how technology works?
Hell no, they are politicians they barely know how to get things done around there. We aren't allowed to ask them to be competant. But they can demand everyone else be.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
viranimus said:
On one side I think, Way to go Australia.. this is a good idea.

On the other side I think... Man it must suck to live in the merry ole land of Aus, given they have such grievous over regulation
Put it this way, I'd never move to the US where theres no regulations and people can do what they want with no protetion. Eg: How easy its to get a loan in someone elses name over there vs over here.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Phishfood said:
Baresark said:
I still plan on sticking with my plan of not purchasing Sony products in the future. They waited far too long to tell people, and now they have lost my business. Everyone should consider this line of action because there are plenty of companies out there that have kept my information safe without fail. To name a few: Steam, Amazon, and Newegg. I know it's (probably) not Sony's fault for getting attacked like that, and their security was apparently laughable anyway, so they need to be held accountable by people. And it shouldn't take a law to make some sort of reaction felt by Sony. People are so weak, it's actually funny.
To be fair, amazon HAVE been hacked. Admittedly they only lost a relatively small chunk of the DB unlike sony losing the entire thing....

As for insisting that breaches be reported as soon as they are detected, it was? Sony claim it was. I agree that we can't always trust what these mega corps put out there but surely they have enough sense to not try and hide losing their entire DB?
Actually, it was not reported immediately. For instance, PSN went down, then I heard a few days later they were hacked, and not from them, but from The Escapist, actually. I thought I was having a problem with my network, then I started thinking that my system had somehow gotten swept up in some new antihacking sweep I wasn't familiar with(thought I was one of the unlucky honest customers).

As far as DB loss was concerned, I think they validly weren't sure if they were just hacked for the sake of it, or if they had info stolen. I mean, in those first days they kept blaming Anonymous, and they aren't thieves, meaning that they probably thought there wasn't data theft.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
RicoADF said:
viranimus said:
On one side I think, Way to go Australia.. this is a good idea.

On the other side I think... Man it must suck to live in the merry ole land of Aus, given they have such grievous over regulation
Put it this way, I'd never move to the US where theres no regulations and people can do what they want with no protetion. Eg: How easy its to get a loan in someone elses name over there vs over here.
You are sorely mistaken my friend. The US has lots and lots of regulation, especially with this last 10 years. Over regulation is terrible, and it's hurting the American economy, and by extension, the world economy. There has been strict regulation in the loan industry, but combinations of corporate greed, corrupt officials, and general ignorance has resulted in the state of the loan industry is in today.

It's not easy to get a loan in America at all anymore. There was the time of easy credit which hurt everyone, especially those like myself, who were not involved at all. Now the central bank keeps producing more credit from nothing, and it's like adding water to an already sinking ship. Also, the laws regarding fraud are the same pretty much everywhere I would imagine, jail and steep fines. You shouldn't be so quick to assume we are under regulated. It is only the presence of a free market and personal responsibility that wealth is created. Regulation consumes the wealth. The best bit is when people want more of the same bad medicine.

It's also all relative, I am sure that Australia is great for many things, but if your into video games, they are over regulated in that respect, which is what I'm sure the previous commenter was speaking of.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
If Sony were telling the truth, this bill doesn't do anything in situations like there's. It's a good bill anyway. The only problem is what level of certainty do you tell everyone? 5% when there's just the potential for it to have occurred? 50%? 75%? It sounds like Sony still doesn't know exactly and there wasn't a huge delay between them shutting down the PSN and spilling the beans and I definitely feel they did it in the right order. Our actual safety first.

Gather

Apr 9, 2009
How exactly do you prove that there was an information leak before it was announced? Is it when someone thinks it has occurred but wishes to look into it more before announcing it or is it when they have real proof of the hacking?