*** Aussies and Kiwis in Video Games ***

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
The male version of Commander Shepard is voiced by Mark Meer of Edmonton, Alberta and hence has the same flavor of Canadian Accent as I do so I tend to assume the character is sort of Canadian...

t_rexaur

Feb 14, 2008
Claudia Black i.e. she who does the voice of Morrigan in Dragon Age is technically Australian, but that probably doesn't count because it's a fantasy game.

rokkolpo

Aug 29, 2009
the only time i heard dutch in a game was in some war FPS.

it was really strange seeing as the subtitles sucked.

clutch-monkey

Jan 19, 2010
anyone who played the mercenaries games.. christ that australian chick was annoying. same for one of those shitty james bond games.
however that random Aussie marine in halo is always good for laughs.

Mar 26, 2008
HSIAMetalKing said:
I_am_a_Spoon said:
I was playing ME2 today, and I heard Miranda say something in the middle of combat. I don't remember what it was because it wasn't important, but her accent got me thinking... how often are the nations of Australia and New Zealand represented in games?
Good question... the only game that comes to mind for me is Kiwi Kraze for the NES (which Wikipedia tells me is named "The New Zealand Story" outside of America). That one has you wandering around New Zealand as a little kiwi bird rescuing your little animal friends... I've always assumed that's about what New Zealand is like.
It was a great game. Tiki the Kiwi however looked more like a canary with a thyroid problem rather than an actual kiwi.

Both my grandfathers served in the Pacific, particularly in Papua New Guinea, during WWII so I for one would like to see a greater representation of the effort of Australian and New Zealand soldiers during this period.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
chozo_hybrid said:
Really? I've never heard that one, not that I say it so no harm done.

I don't think I've ever seen a Kiwi in a game at all, I'm sure I would notice because being a Kiwi myself the character would be the only one without an accent. (because I can't hear ours ^^;)
Yea, it was the term GIs used to refer to the Japanese in WWII, kinda like Krauts for Germans. It's not exactly offensive (and really, if you get offended by anything on the internet you really shouldn't be on it), but some people are sensitive about these things.

Bob_Marley42

Apr 8, 2009
There is James "Fins" Blackwood, the marine from the Commandos series. Somewhat of a steriotype, he is portrayed as an excellent swimmer, but with an Alchol problem (though apparently under control) and a problem with authority.

Cyenwulf

Jul 10, 2009
There was an Aussie guy in Bioshock - the one working on the bomb you later complete to get to Ryan.

Spoonius

Jul 18, 2009
Does anyone know of any game (not mod) in which our military forces have been represtented?

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
I haven't played many that have used aussie or NZ icons, but I wouldn't mind seeing them, as long as they don't stereotype them too much.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
In Bioshock and Halo (note, the marine everyone talks about may well be british, that said in one of the Halo books a scene takes place in Australia) and Mass Effect 2 and Mercenaries you do occassionally run into people with obvious Australian accents but most of the time it's more of an Americanised industry and although every now and then you will find a game set in Australia it is usually designed by Americans and as such feels more like an insult to the Australian people filled with stereotypes and things that are not even from the country... see 'Ty the Tasmanian Tiger' for example.

I wouldn't mind seeing more games with American or even english protagonists but while I'm always a little happy to see my country depicted in games, I'm not the absurd kind of patriot who would demand it.

S.R.S.

Nov 3, 2009
People tend to way over do Aussie accents not to say that some don't sound like that. Mostly it's what you would associate with an aussie accent.
I know it's just one exampla but it's a DAMN fine one:

Mcupobob

Jun 29, 2009
Don't worry when they make a game out of the "tomarrow series" you guys well have all the repesentig you nee.

doubt any you have heard of that book and I also doubt they would ever make a game out of it, though if anyone did it would explode from being awsome.

EDIT: HOLY TITS!! sorry just found out there making a movie of it, hopefully it will come to the states.

oh the tomarrow series is like ?Red Dawn?, only with Australian kids fighting some unnamed occupying force.

clutch-monkey

Jan 19, 2010
Anoctris said:
clutch-monkey said:
anyone who played the mercenaries games.. christ that australian chick was annoying. same for one of those shitty james bond games.
however that random Aussie marine in halo is always good for laughs.
Which Halo? I can't remember an Aussie being in there.
all of them lol?
aussie or kiwi, in halo 2 especially he gets his own line when you drop down on the second halo ("it's like a postcard..")

Kaymish

The Morally Bankrupt Weasel
Sep 10, 2008
other than WRC rally i cant think of any where there are any kiwis around and ive only played 2 games where NZ is even on the map though that could be down to Americans lack of geography knowledge

JoeBloggs

Sep 5, 2009
Man, I KNEW something was up about Miranda's accent! I'm Australian, so it was sort of like hearing this strange LACK of accent in amoung all these american accents. Confused me for a bit. Space accents are weird, you never know if the googly-eyed alien is actually meant to have been raised in britian, or if it's just the actor.

Ok, I know some:

There's the "Ty the Tasmanian Tiger" kids games.

The Aussie in bioshock was pretty stupid- terrible accent, as I recall, and he set his password to the date of australia day. Big Australia Day poster in his office.

From the Nameless Mod, I know that Deus Ex mentions Australia in its backstory: Apparently it's the only continent in the Deus Ex universe that managed to avoid the huge conspiracies/plagues/ecenomic meltdowns etc (Woo!)- except that apparently there's a civil war going on between the aboriginal descendants and the british-convict descendants. No characters, though. Probably a good thing, considering how much they massacred other accents in that game.

But the best australian game character has to be Micheal Atkinson.

http://cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/galleries/display/61/61953.jpg