Austism Essay Help

Spud of Doom

Feb 24, 2011
Also, on topic: Talk about the differences in perception. Things like noticing strange patterns, repeating actions, etc.

tharglet

Jul 21, 2010
If you want to find high-functioning autistics.... go visit a team o' programmers... bound to be some there :p.

I have Asperger's (officially diagnosed)... main thing for me growing up was not knowing why people didn't like me. Felt as if I was in some kind of glass box where I couldn't interact with the world properly. Wasn't until I was older and got my diagnosis that I knew what was going on ^^. Thought I was doing the same stuff as everyone else, but it turned out I wasn't.

There's a lot of social interaction stuff that Aspies don't naturally understand. If you watch two Aspies conversing, it'll look pretty different from a couple of "normal" kids conversing. Conversations tend to be more "to the point" and from my experience, you'll tend to get louder through conversations cos you sort of end up talking over one another (no cues to who is supposed to be talking), but not necessarily noticing.

Empathy tends to be a big thing too - just missing out on visual clues to what people are feeling. For me when I was a kid especially, I didn't really have much emotional response to stuff happening on TV, because it wasn't actually happening. Also one of the other Aspies in my office doesn't tend to notice if I'm down, ill or something - I have to tell him lol.

There's a strong preference to order and routine - but different Aspies it's different things. My partner prefers to eat the same things, whereas I like change in that, I prefer the house to be tidier, but it doesn't occur to him necessarily that putting things in the middle of the floor isn't a good idea. I can cope better than my partner with last-minute changes - for him it can really kinda screw with him. So yer, s'not uncommon for Aspies to get pissy if plans change, even if it doesn't make any true difference.
Writing is a big thing in this too imo - seems to be Aspies either care a lot that their spelling is correct (me) or they aren't able to notice incorrect spellings (end up spelling words closer to what a dyslexic would).

Some of the thought stuff I haven't ever really been able to describe well (I'm a mathy sort not a wordy one :p)... a lot of the time it's things that just don't occur to do that always do to other people. Had a few people struggle to understand why I can lose my keys every day, but remember all the stuff I need for work. Just the way my brain works :p

tharglet

Jul 21, 2010
Fanitullen said:
Or a theme park! Come to Autistic World, meet scores of people who refuse to look you in the eye!
(I have Aspergers. Not a big fan of eyes)
Lol yeah... refuse or not really think to look at you when talking... ^^

(Also likin' yer avatar... I be a coder)

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
Rikdyou said:
gamezombieghgh said:
If you could give us a little more information I'm sure more people will be able to help you. At this stage you've not given much detail.

How about you mention amniocenteses, the process where doctors test to find out if a woman's baby is healthy while it's still in the womb? It can virtually determine if the baby has illnesses, (for lack of a better word), like Downs Syndrome, (which may or may not relate to Autism), but I'm sure it could also be used to tell if the fetus has autism. Some women choose to abort their fetuses because they find out that there is something wrong with it, (such as autism, though you may want to do some research to make sure this is something that can be found using this process). How does this sound?
Ummm I am doing a book study of The Curious Incident of the dog in the night-time. And one of the questions say that i have to write 500 words about a topic called The Autistic World vs. the Non-Autistic world. So far we are meant to write a structure of the essay in dot points. I just need some dot points on what i can write. Uh stuff that included the differences between the two would be fine.

So, uh if someone can say the difference between the world in the eyes of an Autistic person and a non autistic person that would be sweet. Or just say what it is like to be Autistic if you are.

I hope that was enough detail.
Well, if you've read the book i'd say you'd have a pretty good idea of what the world is like through the eyes of an autustic person. Assuming you're not autistic yourself you could just put some key points in their world perception up against eachother and ponder them for a little. How they might cause conflict and so on... Basically look to the book and see how the main character interacts (or doesn't interact) with the world around him.

LoFr3Eq

Oct 15, 2008
Just remember that autism is caused by immunisations 100% of the time.

//sarcasm

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
It should be remembered that autism is called a spectrum for a reason, and there are varying degrees of it.

Additionally, there's no particular reason why we should assume that the "normal" way of being is the "correct" one.