Australia Day! What are you all doing?

Motti

Jan 26, 2009
Gildan Bladeborn said:
[small]Isn't every day one spends in Australia "Australia Day", because it's a day spent 'in Australia'? I'm suggesting your holiday lacks a certain descriptive element, is what I'm driving at.[/small]
You're saying this to possibly the most unimaginative namers in the world (partly because aussies find it hard to take anything seriously). For example, what did we call those blue-coloured mountains off in the distance? The blue mountains of course. Or just look at our state names. What did we call the Western state? Western Australia. What did we call the southern one? South Australia. The only original ones that aren't sucking up to a now-dead queen are Tasmania and New South Wales. If Australians ended up being at the forefront of space exploration, we'd probably call the first planet we find 'dusty'.

Oct 19, 2008
Hellz_Barz said:
Super_Nintendo_Chalmers said:
I hung with friends. I hate patriotism.

And my grandad went into hospital, on his birthday.
why do u hate patriotism?
I think it's good to be proud of where you come from, and where you live. However I think that the Australian flag has been hijacked by a bunch of intolerant wankers.
Edit: I also think that patriotism can really bring out the worst in people.

ostro-whiskey

Aug 23, 2009
Graustein said:
ostro-whiskey said:
The first of January is a pretty terrible time to have a national holiday, regardless of what that holiday commemorates. Nobody would celebrate it, they'd all be sleeping in. So, really, it's everyone's problem. If you want to hold a party on the first of January, don't let me stop you. But I don't think very many people would be too eager to come.

The arrival of the First Fleet is a pretty good excuse for a national holiday, all things considered. It does commemorate a pretty notable event in our history: the first event in the history of Australia as part of the British Empire, and later the Commmonwealth.
You consider the establishment of a British Penal Colony an important event in Australias history ?

All Im saying is the date is inconsequential when the event behind it is pretty weak. From what Ive seen, every other Countries National day is their day of Independence, it seems the only reason it isnt for Australia is becaue the date happens to be inconvenient ?

Thats what happens when you let bureaucrats create a country instead of groups of angry citizens stabbing eachother with swords or shooting eachother with muskets.

aDuck

Dec 13, 2009
Hellz_Barz said:

I think it's good to be proud of where you come from, and where you live. However I think that the Australian flag has been hijacked by a bunch of intolerant wankers.
o gawd, i hope you arent one of those fags who think we should change our flag...

Hellz_Barz

May 16, 2009
Hellz_Barz said:

yeh but the decent folk will always out number the cocks

Nunny

Aug 22, 2009
ostro-whiskey said:
Graustein said:
ostro-whiskey said:
The first of January is a pretty terrible time to have a national holiday, regardless of what that holiday commemorates. Nobody would celebrate it, they'd all be sleeping in. So, really, it's everyone's problem. If you want to hold a party on the first of January, don't let me stop you. But I don't think very many people would be too eager to come.

The arrival of the First Fleet is a pretty good excuse for a national holiday, all things considered. It does commemorate a pretty notable event in our history: the first event in the history of Australia as part of the British Empire, and later the Commmonwealth.
You consider the establishment of a British Penal Colony an important event in Australias history ?

All Im saying is the date is inconsequential when the event behind it is pretty weak. From what Ive seen, every other Countries National day is their day of Independence, it seems the only reason it isnt for Australia is becaue the date happens to be inconvenient ?

Thats what happens when you let bureaucrats create a country instead of groups of angry citizens stabbing eachother with swords or shooting eachother with muskets.

Its also the day of the first and only Military Coup in Australia's history. So theres your military component.

ffs-dontcare

Aug 13, 2009
Stayed at home; played (and reinstalled) games. Went for a walk at some point.

I've heard terrible things about your Australia Day today. According to my friends in Aus:
So I went to the beach today with my friend, just to hang out. I hate drunk obnoxious idiots. Celebrating what freedom we have while yelling "YOU'RE NOT WELCOME HERE" to us and shouting "AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE" and "OI OI OI" in my friends ear, probably assuming we were from NZ, my friend was wearing his typical all black emo attire, and I was wearing a black shirt, (but it's not like we were trying to make a statement about anything) but anyway, it's almost defeating the purpose. Then some douche wearing an Australian flag (CHINESE MADE I bet) as a cape stood in my way looking at me creepily and tried to start something with my friend but he just shrugged it off.

Hellz_Barz said:
Hellz_Barz said:

You guys have gotten patriotism and nationalism mixed up again. Patriotism is okay and perfectly acceptable. Nationalism, on the other hand, isn't.

Oct 19, 2008
Hellz_Barz said:
Hellz_Barz said:

True, however they'll give Aussies a bad name nonetheless.
aDuck said:
Hellz_Barz said:

o gawd, i hope you arent one of those fags who think we should change our flag...
I don't really care, I just don't like wankers.

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
This Australia day I sat at home and did nothing (well, played computer), being amused at how the government continues to mock the Aboriginals even after he said sorry to them.
I was also annoyed because the shops closed early, it was too hot, and I dislike patriotic twats.

Graustein

Jun 15, 2008
ostro-whiskey said:
Graustein said:
ostro-whiskey said:

I do, in fact, consider my country's history to go further back than merely its federation, and therefore that its founding as a colony is an important date. Call me crazy, but I don't think that Australia just suddenly came into existance on 1/1/1901. As an independent nation (if only in name), yes. As a colony, a place where people lived their lives, with a culture and history, no. Our history did not begin solely at Federation. Why else are we taught of Ned Kelly, the Gold Rush, our early interactions with the Aborigines, of Captain Cook and Abel Tasman? All of these predated Federation. A weak event? Hardly. January 26, 1788 was the founding of what would become our nation. If that's inconsequential, then I don't know what signing a paper is. Australia took decades to really cut the umbilical cord from Britain, even after Federation, and our ties to the UK are still very strong. Just look at how attempts to remove the Queen as our head of state and become a full republic have been repeatedly voted down by the populace.

Incidentally, Australia Day celebrations predate Federation by more than half a century, although they weren't necessarily known as such. It was akin to an Independance Day in pre-Federation Australia, because it commemorated the founding of the colony. A Federation Day, set on January 1 would be therefore eclipsed not only by New Years celebrations but by an already-present national holiday. This is magnified by the aforementioned strong ties to Britain. People who had been born and bred in Sydney referred to Britain as "the homeland".

But hey. Maybe we should have killed those pommy bastards instead, just for the hell of it. It's not a proper Federation without some bloodshed, right?

scrambledeggs

Aug 17, 2009
Hellz_Barz said:
scrambledeggs said:
getting an southern cross tattoo and sporting Australian flag apparel including board shorts, a cape and flags on my car.

I hate Australia day.
why?

Because Australians wear Chinese made clothing and get wasted in an attempt to show their love for their country as opposed to doing something useful for their community.

ostro-whiskey

Aug 23, 2009
Graustein said:
ostro-whiskey said:
Graustein said:
ostro-whiskey said:

I do, in fact, consider my country's history to go further back than merely its federation, and therefore that its founding as a colony is an important date. Call me crazy, but I don't think that Australia just suddenly came into existance on 1/1/1901. As an independent nation (if only in name), yes. As a colony, a place where people lived their lives, with a culture and history, no. Our history did not begin solely at Federation. Why else are we taught of Ned Kelly, the Gold Rush, our early interactions with the Aborigines, of Captain Cook and Abel Tasman? All of these predated Federation. A weak event? Hardly. January 26, 1788 was the founding of what would become our nation. If that's inconsequential, then I don't know what signing a paper is. Australia took decades to really cut the umbilical cord from Britain, even after Federation, and our ties to the UK are still very strong. Just look at how attempts to remove the Queen as our head of state and become a full republic have been repeatedly voted down by the populace.

Incidentally, Australia Day celebrations predate Federation by more than half a century, although they weren't necessarily known as such. It was akin to an Independance Day in pre-Federation Australia, because it commemorated the founding of the colony. A Federation Day, set on January 1 would be therefore eclipsed not only by New Years celebrations but by an already-present national holiday. This is magnified by the aforementioned strong ties to Britain. People who had been born and bred in Sydney referred to Britain as "the homeland".

But hey. Maybe we should have killed those pommy bastards instead, just for the hell of it. It's not a proper Federation without some bloodshed, right?
But my problem is its called Australia Day, Australia did not exit until January 1st, 1901. Its the National day, its not the Foundation Day, or any other such event. What you are talking about is an event that does not coincide with the purpose of the holiday. The mere fact that you refer to an Australia during pre federation times is laughable, you seem to know about the history so I dont need to go into it.

But this is my problem, if you are going to celebrate an occasion, why not do it correctly ?

The fact that our only national holidays are Australia Day, ANZAC Day, The Queens birthday and Labor day is pretty pathetic aswell.

rabidmidget

Apr 18, 2008
I saw Toy story 1 and 2 in 3D with friends (when you read 3D imagine it's being said in a loud booming voice)

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
Omikron009 said:
I don't live in Australia! I don't know what it is! I know that it is the code for Kyburz's office. I think.
BioShock reference FTW!

OT: Australia Day is, correct me if I'm wrong, the date Australia became a commonwealth? Not really sure. But agin, what Omikron009 said.

Nunny

Aug 22, 2009
Macgyvercas said:
Omikron009 said:
I don't live in Australia! I don't know what it is! I know that it is the code for Kyburz's office. I think.
BioShock reference FTW!

OT: Australia Day is, correct me if I'm wrong, the date Australia became a commonwealth? Not really sure. But agin, what Omikron009 said.
It marks the day that the first Fleet arrived and started the first European Settlement of Australia.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
Nunny said:
Macgyvercas said:
Omikron009 said:
BioShock reference FTW!

It marks the day that the first Fleet arrived and started the first European Settlement of Australia.
I stand corrected. Thanks for clearing that up (all of a sudden I want to play BioShock now)