Australia Finally Uncensors Left 4 Dead 2

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
And here I'm sitting in germany with the censored version on my account...

Lt. Rocky

Jan 4, 2012
Piorn said:
Well at least you guys get the four hidden Counter-strike guns in an attempt make up for it. Aussies didn't get anything for their censorship - except a reskin of the cricket bat weapon I believe. It may not mean much, but you have no idea how hard the rest of the world has tried to mod & hack the game to have others get to use those weapons..

sibrenfetter

Oct 26, 2009
In other news: Australia finally legalizes women voting and admits the world might not be flat.

Seriously, I lived a year in Australia and loved the country and the people, but some parts of it are just mind boggling.

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
Lt. Rocky said:
Piorn said:
Well at least you guys get the four hidden Counter-strike guns in an attempt make up for it. Aussies didn't get anything for their censorship - except a reskin of the cricket bat weapon I believe. It may not mean much, but you have no idea how hard the rest of the world has tried to mod & hack the game to have others get to use those weapons..
Counter-Strike weapons?
And I guess if we're being objective, at least you immediately know if something is dead so you don't waste ammo and have a clear vision. Still hurts a little to have an inferior product.

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
sibrenfetter said:
In other news: Australia finally legalizes women voting and admits the world might not be flat.

Seriously, I lived a year in Australia and loved the country and the people, but some parts of it are just mind boggling.
We're not that backwards, even if certain politicians would love us to regress back to the '50s-60s.

killerbee256

Aug 14, 2014
smithy_2045 said:
sibrenfetter said:

We're not that backwards, even if certain politicians would love us to regress back to the '50s-60s.
My question is who is voting for these backwards idiots?

QuadFish

God Damn Sorcerer
Dec 25, 2010
So I won't have to switch to my alt account I used three VPNs and an intense CSI-style hacking session to get the UK version on? Excellent!

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Lt. Rocky said:
Piorn said:
...Or to fix the sound mods that all broke when The Passing came out.

I've been playing with those weapons for ages, though. o.o

Well, sort of...if it's online it only works on certain servers. Offline, you can spawn them in via the console but I don't know the codes to make them do any damage. IIRC, Funreal and DoktorHaus made some mods for the CS weapons somewhere.

Er, but you probably know that stuff already! XD It must be a pain in the posterior to mod that game sometimes.

[small][sub]If you see Millenia, please tell them their textures are glorious.[/sub][/small]

toliman

Oct 16, 2007
killerbee256 said:
Retirees, mostly retirees that have an entrenched line in the sand that says that their party "knows what it is doing" and the other guy/girl has no idea. retirees that have entrenched confirmation bias, and can't think for themselves.

which is a strange dichotomy for politicians to have to promote and spend effort engaging people who don't passively absorb news through daily or hourly broadcasts.

which is why they find the online world so unenthusiastic and difficult to manipulate. as it was designed to be.

People coming to Australia, won't notice the rambling and corrupting influence of political actions almost anywhere but in the general depression of the citizens. we're quite open about complaining about both sides being completely stuffed, rather than any one person, it's usually someone being extremely stupid that gets knocked down, or it's the rare outlier that stands up and faces that scrutiny.

For Australia, that's Abbot and Palmer for different reasons. And, sadly for the rest of the world, not exactly intelligent or good people.

Also, Unfortunately for Australian Politics, having had a female figurehead might seem to be a sign of being progressive at first, it's really kind of screwed up a lot of things for regular citizens, because the Labour Party has had to 'prove themselves' by being tough on security and nanny state options for PR purposes.

If they didn't have to avoid having a continuing and inevitable series of embarrassing problems pointed out to them in keeping election or party promises, it would have been fine. So, like every political party in existence, they pedal things to try and score cheap points.

And the Liberal Party that came in afterwards, in what could be seen as ironic, from outside, is going about the same kind of defensive bullshit and cutting services, and pushing the idea of monitoring and recording metadata for our version of the NSA, ASIO.

Which is facing some serious horror because if the monitoring comes through, it also introduces most of the infrastructure for ISP's to filter the internet as part of the conditions of having an ISP license. after all, it's a small router and a small bridge to cross from simply monitoring all traffic, to selectively filtering all traffic through a DNS blacklist, as the UK does now. or full firewalls that china has implemented on content. it's just a matter of cost and infrastructure, and applying the metadata restrictions will also make it easier to implement a filter in a few years.

We already have some shitty internet connections and a telecom monopoly to deal with, having the monopoly freeze out ISP's because they can't filter the internet would be pretty trivial at this point.

Justifying this won't be hard. It only takes a desperate politician who's done something wrong, looking to score points to set up their agenda on "thinking of the children in a non pedophile way" in securing the internet from terrorists. and people with political agendas. in the same way that fighting fire requires a steady supply of flamethrowers and gasoline, it's rather inevitable that things will happen by design if the gate is even slightly open.

Having a violent culture of teens playing unrated content, seems patently stupid. just as it did 5 years ago. it's unlikely to be any kind of popular idea in culture since the 1980's, as there's a rising percentage of 40-50 year old gamers who still regularly play games, so it's going to become a cultural identity that the politicians in power, will have actually played or understood the art and culture of media that isn't radio, newspapers, and TV.

killerbee256

Aug 14, 2014
Thanks for the detailed reply. I had an Australian with me in a class last year and I've been watching Yahtzee "let's drown out" videos on you tube so I got I've heard bits and pieces before but never the whole picture. It occurs to me that someone :cough: Murdock :cough: is using the same play book that was created and tested here in the US. Destroy the function of government and then use that dysfunction you've created as a talking point to be reelected "hey look government doesn't work better reelect us so we...can break it more... err I mean fix it.

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
killerbee256 said:
smithy_2045 said:
sibrenfetter said:

A combination of old people who miss the "good old days", rich people who directly benefit from their policies, and ignorant people who like the sound of 3-word slogans like "stop the boats" or "axe the tax".

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Better late then never I guess ...

so it'll be what? another 6-7 years before SR4 and South Park get an uncensored release?

Arakasi

Jun 14, 2011
Well now I might actually get around to buying it. When it goes on sale. Maybe.