Australia Hampers Potential GAME Takeover

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
AD-Stu said:
EDIT: LOL, my bad. They have something like 90 stores around the country, just not very many in my state :p
90? Wow. I have only seen 2 GAME stores in my life, both approximately 30 minutes from each other.

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
SomeBrianDude said:
I wonder whether HMV is going to try and capitalise on Game's struggles. Video games have never been their focus, but now kind seems like a good time to try and expand their share, what with the UK's biggest player being in such deep trouble.
HMV will try. I mean, all we have is HMV, GAME and GameStation.
Steam is probably going to benefit quite a bit though from people converting from console to PC, as will the XBLA Marketplace.

FamoFunk

Dad, I'm in space.
Mar 10, 2010
SomeBrianDude said:
I wonder whether HMV is going to try and capitalise on Game's struggles. Video games have never been their focus, but now kind seems like a good time to try and expand their share, what with the UK's biggest player being in such deep trouble.
Wouldn't be surprised if HMV were gone by the end of the year, they've already been (wrongly IMO) bailed out. I really don't think they will survive.

I think out only option is to let America take over... even more.

Llamazoid

Mar 10, 2011
If GAME closes, the only place in my County to get games will be HMV, Xtravision and the Supermarkets. All the rest of the retailers are second hand stores and while I don't mind buying games Pre-owned I don't think it will be long before stores like CEX will be the next to close down.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Screw it! If Gamestop did decided to take over GAME, I am done with them (as in GAME will change itself so it become Gamestop). I have read plenty of Gamestop reputation so I will buy my games elsewhere.

crotchdot

Jun 11, 2010
I don't know what GameStop is like in the US, but as EB in Australia they are the most expensive games store in the country. They are pretty much the only retail outlet that has the balls to charge full RRP on games, which makes them AU$20 to $30 pricier than stores like JB on almost every game, it amazes me they stay in business.

I haven't been to a GAME in a while, my local outlet closed down a long time ago, but I always found some good bargains there. So if our "muck" stops the malignant spread of EB in this country, then all hail the muck.

LongAndShort

I'm pretty good. Yourself?
May 11, 2009
Speaking as an Australian and probably more importantly as someone who loyally visits GAME for all my Russian/Alien/indistinct-Arab-killing needs, I'm pretty cool with this.
Fuck you GameStop/EB Games, you aren't getting my money.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
crotchdot said:
I don't know what GameStop is like in the US, but as EB in Australia they are the most expensive games store in the country. They are pretty much the only retail outlet that has the balls to charge full RRP on games, which makes them AU$20 to $30 pricier than stores like JB on almost every game, it amazes me they stay in business.

I haven't been to a GAME in a while, my local outlet closed down a long time ago, but I always found some good bargains there. So if our "muck" stops the malignant spread of EB in this country, then all hail the muck.
All hail the muck indeed. I walk right past EB every time, occasionally I'll take some games to the counter and call them on their "seen it cheaper" policy but I never finalise the sale, just point out that I can get it cheaper and walk out. Petty I know. Thank goodness for J.B. and GamersGate, hell even DSE is cheaper. If you can find one still open.

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
I find it horrible that gamestop earns millions with selling used games while companies that make those games are going bankrupt.
Seriously Why do people protect monopolized used games sales like gamestop.
Its no problem when it is small but used games being sold this widely is really hurting the games industry.

harvz

Jun 20, 2010
Its not that big of an issue, i know of 2 Game stores in 2 different states, 1 in canberra and 1 in sydney.
It would be nothing short of horrible if the gamestop/eb games chain were the only ones here, in my home town (average sized town, nothing impressive), it has an eb games and thats really it. games in stores where there is little or no competition really screw people over, they never really mark prices down on new products.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
UberNoodle said:
Yeah, as an Australian I feel so bad that the fact that there are already Electronic Boutique stores (Gamestop) in Australia means that a local chain in the UK won't be swallowed up by an American transnational.
The Game Group, which is what I assume you're referring to when you say "local chain in the UK," currently operates over 1300 stores across Europe and Australia. It's in trouble, yes, but it's not like GameStop is getting ready to steamroller some small-time mom & pop operation.

WTF was this article about anyway?
Are you serious? Obviously it's about pointing and laughing at Australia.

Andaxay

Thinking with Portals
Jun 4, 2008
I'm completely and utterly unsurprised that GameStop want in on the inevitable GAME corpse. I've had the distinct impression they've wanted to get a firm foot into the UK and Europe for a while. Poor Australia, though. Although, if all the bad feedback from GameStop I've heard is true, maybe they got lucky.

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
I don't care much for GAME anyway. Last time I visited their store, I was basically called a liar, so that boat of theirs can sink for all I care. Let there be a power vacuum! Let a new retailer enter the ring!

Mar 26, 2008
What, they already own EB? No wonder they're not interested in taking over Game in Australia, as they are one of the very few alternatives. EBs here are like bloody Starbucks in the US (not like Starbucks here which failed miserably). I can go to the shitiest shopping centre in Australia and still find an EB.

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
I really hope GAME doesn't go under, but I couldn't stand to see GAME and Gamestation owned by Gamestop. 'Saving' is too positive of a word.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Andy Chalk said:
Australia Hampers Potential GAME Takeover

Videogame retail giant GameStop has cast a rapacious eye toward struggling U.K. retailer GAME but hasn't yet made a move because it doesn't want to be stuck with Australia.

Oh, Australia. Is there anything related to videogames that you can't screw up? It's hard to blame this particular situation on you directly, I suppose, but the truth is that your mere existence may soon lead thousands of people into the despair of unemployment.

And not because they're working in GAME RETAIL or anything.

UberNoodle

Apr 6, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
UberNoodle said:
Yeah, as an Australian I feel so bad that the fact that there are already Electronic Boutique stores (Gamestop) in Australia means that a local chain in the UK won't be swallowed up by an American transnational.
The Game Group, which is what I assume you're referring to when you say "local chain in the UK," currently operates over 1300 stores across Europe and Australia. It's in trouble, yes, but it's not like GameStop is getting ready to steamroller some small-time mom & pop operation.

WTF was this article about anyway?
Are you serious? Obviously it's about pointing and laughing at Australia.
Yeah, when I said local, I was thinking more like 'smaller than Gamestop. But the reason Gamestop don't want to take it over is because they already dominate over the counter sales in Australia with the Electronics Boutique brand, and to buy up the Game stores too would introduce great cost due to redundancy. Not only that, it would dilute their own butter on their bread. Already stores like JB Hifi are severely undercutting them. Supporting two companies would be a huge undertaking. So would converting all 'Game' stores to EBs.

So pointing and laughing at Australia is really the domain of idiocy here. If Gamestop were buying out an American chain store and it meant diluting their own brand, they'd think very deeply about it too. Would we point and laugh at the USA, in such a case?

Falsename

Oct 28, 2010
I wish I could meet the writer or this article and give him a good smack in the face. I don't know why The Escapist would allow it to be published written the way it is.

"The Australian Muck".... and "is there anything they can't screw up" aren't exactly the best bloody words to use.

I submit that this idea gets his ass (or arse depending on where you're from) kicked for being illiterate.... well not illiterate but just for being insensitive.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Oh, Australia. Is there anything related to videogames that you can't screw up?
I expect less racism in a news post on the escapist. To clarify to those that are unaware, the issue isn't videogame related, its to do with our monopoly laws that say that no one business can own over a certain percentage of an industry. GAME being the other major videogame retail in Australia would then make Gamestop (EB Games here) go over that level and thus alot of legal headachs. Frankely its a law I think the US and UK could do with, as one company setting the prices how they wish as expensive as they wish is dangerous and outright stupid to allow.