Australia Hampers Potential GAME Takeover

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
mik1 said:
Lizard Queen said:
"in the Australian muck" ?????

Thanks for the random insult.

I'm not sure what it has to do with the story. They don't want to not be in the Australian market. They are already here. They just don't want redundant stores they would have to close anyway.
LOL
This is the first thread I've ever seen remotely attacking the Australia. Calling the situation with video games in your country "muck" is hardly an insult.

Being a U.S. citizen I'm numbed to the whole attack on ones country via internet. Your country's stance on video games is fucked, deal with it.
My country's stance on everything is fucked I dealt with it.
No our country has a good stance with video games, just politics take longer to get anywhere than ice to move across the Antarctic.

Some_weirdGuy

Nov 25, 2010
RicoADF said:
I expect less racism in a news post on the escapist. To clarify to those that are unaware, the issue isn't videogame related, its to do with our monopoly laws that say that no one business can own over a certain percentage of an industry. GAME being the other major videogame retail in Australia would then make Gamestop (EB Games here) go over that level and thus alot of legal headachs. Frankely its a law I think the US and UK could do with, as one company setting the prices how they wish as expensive as they wish is dangerous and outright stupid to allow.
errm, don't think so. It more has to do with them already owning eb games stores nearly everywhere there is an existing GAME store. They just don't want to be owning duplicate stores.

----

Also, what's with all you fellow ausi's on here being so up tight?
getting all hot and bothered cause of this article and it's 'insults' is very 'un-Australian' XD

rapidoud

Feb 1, 2008
Andy Chalk said:

Videogame retail giant GameStop has cast a rapacious eye toward struggling U.K. retailer GAME but hasn't yet made a move because it doesn't want to be stuck with Australia.

Oh, Australia. Is there anything related to videogames that you can't screw up?
I see our weird games industry and raise you USA policing the internet as well as believing you have a right to. As well as charging more in Australia (notice how most of the 'bad' stuff that happens here is caused by other people? Even R18 classification is getting fixed) for god only knows what reason, care to explain why?

Your move.

LordFisheh

Dec 31, 2008
This is actually kind of a good thing. Australia is losing business for its backwards and undemocratic stance on gaming. This is exactly how thing should work - just unfortunate for Game and Australian gamers.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Some_weirdGuy said:
RicoADF said:
I expect less racism in a news post on the escapist. To clarify to those that are unaware, the issue isn't videogame related, its to do with our monopoly laws that say that no one business can own over a certain percentage of an industry. GAME being the other major videogame retail in Australia would then make Gamestop (EB Games here) go over that level and thus alot of legal headachs. Frankely its a law I think the US and UK could do with, as one company setting the prices how they wish as expensive as they wish is dangerous and outright stupid to allow.
errm, don't think so. It more has to do with them already owning eb games stores nearly everywhere there is an existing GAME store. They just don't want to be owning duplicate stores.

----

Also, what's with all you fellow ausi's on here being so up tight?
getting all hot and bothered cause of this article and it's 'insults' is very 'un-Australian' XD
Mostly coz its wrong :p
I still do think our anti-manopoly laws have alot to do with it, but the duplicate stores would also be an issue, perhaps its a mixture of both.

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
WTF was this article about anyway?
Are you serious? Obviously it's about pointing and laughing at Australia.
Sometimes you're a dick, Andy.

Australian GAME stores are doing considerably well compared to their UK counterparts. They're stocking Mass Effect, Catherine and other games customers want and they're not compromising on things.

Reeeeeesearch.

Gardenia

Oct 30, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
Oh, Australia. Is there anything related to videogames that you can't screw up?
I came here to say this. Verbatim. Oh well, guess I'll be on my way, as I haven't bought a physical copy of a game since 2004, and thus have nothing to say about this.

PinkiePyro

Sep 26, 2010
Programmed_For_Damage said:
What, they already own EB? No wonder they're not interested in taking over Game in Australia, as they are one of the very few alternatives. EBs here are like bloody Starbucks in the US (not like Starbucks here which failed miserably). I can go to the shitiest shopping centre in Australia and still find an EB.
Are you serous how did you not know they bought them around 94 i think (some time mid 90's anyhow)

I remember being annoyed because my local EB became a gamestop and stopped renting N64 controllers

iNsaneMilesy

Dec 10, 2008
Dont really see an issue, GAME is relatively new in Aus. They are more expensive than EB Games and have worse promotions... also it doesnt help when they build all their stores within spitting distance of an EB store in every shopping centre... they shoot themselves in the foot.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
chickenhound said:
Programmed_For_Damage said:
What, they already own EB? No wonder they're not interested in taking over Game in Australia, as they are one of the very few alternatives. EBs here are like bloody Starbucks in the US (not like Starbucks here which failed miserably). I can go to the shitiest shopping centre in Australia and still find an EB.
Are you serous how did you not know they bought them around 94 i think (some time mid 90's anyhow)

I remember being annoyed because my local EB became a gamestop and stopped renting N64 controllers
Nothing changed over here, so if you didn't catch the news it'd be easy to not know. EB Games is still the EB Games I've always known. Atleast my local one is.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Allow me to address your concerns in order:

It's okay to admit that you had no idea how big the Game Group is/was, come and get me tough guy, "Australian" is a nationality not a race, I'm not American, and no u.

But hey, in all seriousness, I am glad to hear that the Australian arm of GAME is doing such a bang-up job of not selling the big-boy games that the rest of us get to play.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
Andy Chalk said:

It seems that GameStop is very much interested in coming to the rescue of flagging U.K. retailer GAME, but is hesitant to do so because it doesn't want to end up with two feet in the Australian muck.

Find this to be pretty offensive, honestly. They're hesitant because they own EB games which is the major retailer of its type in AU, and there isnt a reason to own GAME, as it just creates a situation where in most major shopping centres, they own two stores.

Implying a company wouldnt want to 'get involved in Australian muck' in regards to anything based around the economy? Sorry America, I cant hear you over your floundering economy.

Olrod

Feb 11, 2010
Anyone who's paid any attention ever will already know that Australia is practically a 3rd World country when it comes to computer games. Did you all forget the furore over them banning some R18 games several months ago?

[edit: I live in New Zealand, so I'm entitled (some may say required) to take the piss out of Australia on a regular basis.]