Australia Has Banned Over 200 Games in Four Months

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
This may just be inherent bias towards my home country, but as far as I'm concerned the British Board of Film Classification are the gold standard for content classification, which makes me very annoyed the job of classifying games for release was taken away from them and given to Pan-European Game Information. The BBFC would give more than an age rating; they would give a full page explanation of it, and accounted for context. PEGI don't and hand out 18 ratings like there's no tomorrow. They gave Mass Effect 1 an 18 rating. At least they don't ban games though...

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Remember, America! This could have happened to you if Jack Thompson and others like him had their way! Cautionary tale...

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Lizzy Finnegan said:
"Does the game contain any bodily functions such as belching, flatulence, or vomiting when used for humorous purposes?"
So wait, a game can be banned for fart jokes. G rated Disney movies can have fart jokes.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Reading crap like this just makes me happy that we have ESRB over here in America. It's convenient and doesn't get in the way. I actually really like it but I've just never thought about it till now.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Middle_Index said:
Wow that is loads. Seem like they setting themselve up to fail.
While I (partially) agree with the sentiment, keep in mind that this number was generated by them trawling through 150.000 games and spare. While their classification and banning system is still downright retarded, these numbers should be put into perspective.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
09philj said:
This may just be inherent bias towards my home country, but as far as I'm concerned the British Board of Film Classification are the gold standard for content classification, which makes me very annoyed the job of classifying games for release was taken away from them and given to Pan-European Game Information.
I agree - especially with film - the BBFC have become rather inspiringly pro-art/entertainment/freedom, preferring to classify as opposed to censor, unlike back in the old days.

Was PEGI enforced by European legislation, btw? I've never actually thought about how it came to be.

The BBFC would give more than an age rating; they would give a full page explanation of it, and accounted for context. PEGI don't and hand out 18 ratings like there's no tomorrow. They gave Mass Effect 1 an 18 rating. At least they don't ban games though...
I can't exactly pop out to the shops to check, but all ME's are BBFC 15 on my shelf, and on Amazon.

I'm not sure BBFC were the gold standard for games, browsing my collection a little further; are Dragon Age Origins and II really 18's? PEGI also gave Metro 2033 a 16, which also seems a bit low/iffy.

As for the thread: aren't people banding together to campaign against Australian's inane approach to censorship/classification?

Gregory Heyes

Oct 5, 2012
So, as an Aussie gamer, this got me wondering. "Which games have been banned?" So I did some research so I would know what I was talking about - I went to the Classification Board's website, put in the search parameters of Games and classified after Jan 1st this year, and got...out of 196,417 games classified in that time period (that's an average of 1,085 games per day, or 45 per hour).

161,048 got a G rating
18,824 got an M rating
11,166 got a PG rating
4,646 got an MA15+ rating
468 got an R18+ rating
265 got refused classification

Don't know if this link will work, but here's the hyperlink to the banned list: http://www.classification.gov.au/Pages/Results.aspx?ncdctx=Vos1JNGeiVwkj1PUd9jMJpXXoAqybAElP9JDuWYmN7%252fg2DNxC2U4Kk%252fFAZAeVqbE

If not, search page is here: http://www.classification.gov.au/Pages/Search.aspx?ncdctx=JhWEYNzpLzQIIm2ZU4SKzV9L%252ffZ5a3xHVy%252fBoBYZr6E%253d

Most are ones I've never even seen or heard of before, but here are a few names that stood out during my trawling through the list:

9mm Simulator
AK47 Simulator
Drug Dealer Simulator
Drunk Driver Simulator
Fairy Creator
Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number (but we already knew this)
Guess the Gender
HoboSimulator
Islam Today
Mad Cow !!
Measure Bra Size Prank
Kill Kites
Naked Scanner Pro - Free
Pharaoh Queen Cleopatra Slots
Police Bus for Criminals
Pop Pet
School Bullying
Sherlock Criminal Case 1-4 (which are publised by "Cooking & Room Escape Gamers" (???))
Smoke a Bong
Smoke a Bong Free
Smoke a Joint
Smoke a Joint Free
Spin the Bottle
Star Skipper
Stickman vs Zombies (as a fan of Alan Becker videos - NOOOOOOOOOOOO!)
Test Application w23
WatDaSheep!?
Yandere School
money focus

Some names are just hilarous. Some sound outright stupid. Some sound like they're little more than a scam.

Silence

Living undeath to the fullest
Legacy
Sep 21, 2014
Country
Germany
Poor Australia. I hope you get the same treatment we got in germany some day.

Short description: Basically the same system, "bad" games land on the index (prominent examples were Doom and Wolfenstein, afaik).

Some day it somehow switched, it seems like gamers took over the system. What does this mean? Well, the ratings agency basically said "fuck it" and allowed most games uncensored, like Dead Space. Or a real fun example is Fallout New Vegas, which had a lower violence version at release, but the Ultimate Edition is just the same as everywhere.

Oh, and Doom was removed from the index, some time not too long ago.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Gregory Heyes said:
So, as an Aussie gamer, this got me wondering. "Which games have been banned?" So I did some research so I would know what I was talking about - I went to the Classification Board's website, put in the search parameters of Games and classified after Jan 1st this year, and got...out of 196,417 games classified in that time period (that's an average of 1,085 games per day, or 45 per hour).

161,048 got a G rating
18,824 got an M rating
11,166 got a PG rating
468 got an R18+ rating

Don't know if this link will work, but here's the hyperlink to the banned list: http://www.classification.gov.au/Pages/Results.aspx?ncdctx=Vos1JNGeiVwkj1PUd9jMJpXXoAqybAElP9JDuWYmN7%252fg2DNxC2U4Kk%252fFAZAeVqbE

If not, search page is here: http://www.classification.gov.au/Pages/Search.aspx?ncdctx=JhWEYNzpLzQIIm2ZU4SKzV9L%252ffZ5a3xHVy%252fBoBYZr6E%253d

Most are ones I've never even seen or heard of before, but here are a few names that stood out during my trawling through the list:

9mm Simulator
AK47 Simulator
Drug Dealer Simulator
Drunk Driver Simulator
Fairy Creator
Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number (but we already knew this)
Guess the Gender
HoboSimulator
Islam Today
Mad Cow !!
Measure Bra Size Prank
Kill Kites
Naked Scanner Pro - Free
Pharaoh Queen Cleopatra Slots
Police Bus for Criminals
Pop Pet
School Bullying
Sherlock Criminal Case 1-4 (which are publised by "Cooking & Room Escape Gamers" (???))
Smoke a Bong
Smoke a Bong Free
Smoke a Joint
Smoke a Joint Free
Spin the Bottle
Star Skipper
Stickman vs Zombies (as a fan of Alan Becker videos - NOOOOOOOOOOOO!)
Test Application w23
WatDaSheep!?
Yandere School
money focus

Some names are just hilarous. Some sound outright stupid. Some sound like they're little more than a scam.
That list...

*shakes head in disbelief*

...is killing brain cells as I read it.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Dynast Brass said:
Incredible, I'm a bit shocked that we're not at the point of a moral panic here. Apple made an error that would obviously be rectified, and there were hints of the downfall of the Republic. Now we have a nation actually exorcising shocking levels of censorship, in a way that inflicts real financial/access hardship on its citizens and...

...where is everyone?
You post date the histrionics when South Park was edited or when two chains owned by one parent company opted not to sell GTA V anymore.

Sounds like this is bad for devs, bad for gamers, bad for Australian culture.
I can't assume you're just taking the piss out of people on this, so I'll just point out that Australia until like last year had a system with no R certification. This is a step forward. Australians have deal with a real issue of censorship for a long time, and they're taking a step forward. This is why the outrage over GTA V came mostly from Americans, who generally aren't shopping at K-Mart in Australia.

But yes, there are real censorship issues and people are making mountains out of molehills.

Gregory Heyes said:

161,048 got a G rating
18,824 got an M rating
11,166 got a PG rating
468 got an R18+ rating
I just want to point out that this is the sort of thing that people should do before jumping to conclusions. Actually looking first and then reacting is kind of a big deal in a culture of perpetual outrage. I applaud you in all seriousness.

FalloutJack said:
Remember, America! This could have happened to you if Jack Thompson and others like him had their way! Cautionary tale...
We could have found a more progressive system than the old one?

Or are you just not familiar with the old system?

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Lizzy Finnegan said:
The new IARC Classification tool includes an online form, to be filled out by developers, that covers an expansive variety of potentially offensive material over many sub-categories. One question asks "Does the game contain any bodily functions such as belching, flatulence, or vomiting when used for humorous purposes?"
Boogerman must have really pissed them off...

darthxaos

Feb 24, 2015
FalloutJack said:
It could still happen now that Jack Thompson has put on hoop earrings and is now being taken seriously by the press that used to denounce him.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
darthxaos said:
FalloutJack said:
It could still happen now that Jack Thompson has put on hoop earrings and is now being taken seriously by the press that used to denounce him.
Explain these hoop earings and why they give him magical powers of people listening to him when he's made a great deal of effort to ruin his credibility and piss off people in the legal community, gaming community, and probably a few others.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Lizzy Finnegan said:
the sharp increase in Refused Classification (RC) online games results from a new classification method implemented by the Classification Board.
Is this new classification method a big rubber "RC" stamp that they can just stomp on every game that gets filed so they can go home earlier?

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
Ima Lemming said:
I find it vaguely amusing that Australia feels the need to protect the populace from video games when they're already living on a continent with some of the nastiest, most venomous wildlife in the world.
Forget the wildlife, it's the people there you need to worry about. 'Venomous' just barely covers the politicians.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Dynast Brass said:
I suspect that like most people around the world, what I don't know about Australian politics could fill endless volumes. That is to say, I've never really paid much attention to it as a country. I've been near it, but never actually to it, so that may play a part. I actually know very little about Australia, not just the politics, now that I stop and consider it. Whatever I haven't learned from 'In A Sunburned Country' or relating to something in my field, I probably don't know. So, I know about immigration and relocation efforts, some issues with policing and jails, but that's about it.

In short, I appreciate the lesson, because it filled some gaps.
It was more about whether or not you were serious. Your post could be reasonably inferred as being a "shame on you" to a certain ethics group that is involved in perpetual and selective outrage, as our mutual friend Jux has recently pointed out. The use of the term "moral panic," which has basically been a dog whistle term for them, further conflates issues.

I know about this because the Australian R17 rating has been contested for years. Games which would make it through otherwise as an M game were refused certification. The current system, when enacted, improved things greatly, but didn't automatically make games free to do as they please. And there have been some bumps, but most AUS gamers seem to view this as an improvement because prior to this point, no such games would be released without being heavily butchered.

Which is why it's weird to see comments like:

valium said:
oh no, no no. they arent trying to take away your video games, no no. whatever gave that impression?
Since this is literally the opposite of that situation.

Of course, the funny thing is I'm still hearing about how GTA V is "banned" in Australia. Because apparently, the reality just isn't that interesting. And it's not. A couple of shops which do not cater to gamers voluntarily opted to not stock a game that was already a year old.

darthxaos said:
You know, that's not going to happen and all, but if it did, it'd be exactly what gamers deserve for having such a massive temper tantrum over Anita Sarkeesian in the first place. Gamers built the podium, and have no right to complain people are paying attention to her now.

If she really wanted to restrict video games, gamers would have given her all the ammunition necessary by now. All she'd need to do is say "look at how angry and childish it has made gamers, let's ban them."

That won't happen, because "she's going to take away out games" is nonsense told to justify anger that some woman DARES criticise things I like, but the reality is, gamers gave censors everything they'd need, from motive to a mascot.

Seriously, and I can't emphasise this enough, if people are seriously concerned about gaes being restricted, then they should be looking the other way and going after the gamers who have made this all possible. But they won't, because this is just the gamer version of "two minute hate."