Australia once again proves its ignorance and softness by condemning House of the Dead: Overkill

Inverse Skies

Feb 3, 2009
Sigh. As much as I love this country, the stupid things it does (and I'm not just talking about the government's pointless Emissions Trading Scheme coming in next year) when it comes to video games and specifically violence in video games makes me shake my head.

This time 'family groups' are assaulting HDO because of the amount of 'sexually aggressive violence and aggressively violent language' which (SHOCK!) appears in a game released only on the Wii, a console seen as more of a family family-freindly console and obviously beneath such brutal violence and swearing.

If I'm coming off sounding sarcastic, that's because the idea of condemming this game is so ludicrous that sarcasm seems to be the only appropriate response (anger maybe, but I'm not a naturally angry person). Coming out with comments such as this only proves they've actually never played the game, because as every review I've read and even the Escapists Yahtzee have mentioned - it's meant to be hideously over the top because it's making satire of the zombie genre.

What a concept! Satire! Who would have thought that was the reason behind the violence and foul language? Obviously not these family groups, who revealed how little they know not only of the game in question but the outdated and incorrect notion that video game violence promotes actual violence.

Luckily, we at the Escapist know better. It's still a shame though, to have to put up with this sort of rubbish from groups whose loose understanding of videogames seems to impart some sort of right to spout whatever negative thought they feel like.

twilinova07

Nov 26, 2008
in there defence the game does drop the F-bomb 198 times. :D
But in opposition its still riding the coatails of other nations.

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
Wait, did you guys get Planet Terror over in Australia? Was there a big protest over that movie?

No? Well then these people can shut up. I've seen Planet Terror, and there's nothing in HotD that could be even close to as bad, despite that they seem to be ripping it off.

If these family groups aren't willing to protest EVERY violent, vulgar and sexually explicit form of media that makes it over there, those people are just hypocrites deciding what forms of media are most "bad" than others based on their subjective opinions.

And it's been said in another topic, but Nintendo isn't a family friendly company. It never has been. I'm not saying it's "adult," just that they cater to anyone who will give them money. Besides, we had No More Heroes and Resident Evil 4 on the Wii, where were those protesters then?

Also, the Scarface game let you F-bomb people at the touch of a button, as much as you wanted.

Chibz

Sep 12, 2008
Australia is moving towards THIS country in terms of censorship:

And now... escapist magazine: So cool it's banned in China.

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
twilinova07 said:
in there defence the game does drop the F-bomb 198 times. :D
But in opposition its still riding the coatails of other nations.
Pssh, lame effort. It should have reached 200. Then this would be probably a good game to ***** about.

Reaperman Wompa

Aug 6, 2008
Our government uses a system whereby they put all vidoegames over M15 in a box and every time things look bleak pull one out and act like they are saving lives. Don't worry about it, It is an annoyance but I believe we can live on in the absence of the game, even if this censorship shit continues.

Inverse Skies

Feb 3, 2009
Reaperman Wompa said:
Our government uses a system whereby they put all vidoegames over M15 in a box and every time things look bleak pull one out and act like they are saving lives. Don't worry about it, It is an annoyance but I believe we can live on in the absence of the game, even if this censorship shit continues.
It doesn't really worry me per se, I just find it amazing that people continue to harp on about these rather non-existent issues. It's like the council in Melbourne that banned the school-traffic crossing guy from giving kids high-fives - it's simply a case of political correctness and nuturing taken way to far.

Reaperman Wompa

Aug 6, 2008
Inverse Skies said:
Reaperman Wompa said:
It doesn't really worry me per se, I just find it amazing that people continue to harp on about these rather non-existent issues. It's like the council in Melbourne that banned the school-traffic crossing guy from giving kids high-fives - it's simply a case of political correctness and nuturing taken way to far.
That's the point. Parents and the public in general want to see these things happening (things being "made an example of"), and the government is usually filled with uptight people. This combines to make it so that everytime something comes against these people's image of a perfect Australia, or a real issue comes to the table they subvert it. If it was really their choice they would remove thousands of things from daily life, taking us back to that "Perfect family" lifestyle from the 50's. The only reason most of these "offensive" (bullshit) things are allowed is that the majority want them, so the government picks the small things that are just like the rest, but less popular, then ban them. It makes the government look like they are making things better while in actuality shit all is being done.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Well, the thing is that the idea of "video game violence promotes real violence" being outdated is not true. Generally speaking it's not accepted among gamers, but there are a lot of people, and politicians, who either believe it, or see it as a conveinent boogie man to garner up some attention and attack so they can feel like they are doing something.

Generally speaking, while censorship is being heavily presented as a tool of the right wing, it's actually more of a left wing thing nowadays. After all if a goverment can persuade the people to give up their right to free speech for their own protection due
to something like depictions of violence, it's very easy to use the precedents established there to start banning other things. More power for the goverment being a good thing when your dealing with those who believe in a strong central authority.

Yes, Australia *IS* a group of hypocrits, but consider that where they are censoring violence the US is censoring sex. Australia being (in)famous for it's topless beaches, and some of the sexual content in their programming.

Also I suspect they might be taking a queue from Germany and using such things as an excuse to stick it to other countries to validate their nations's self sufficiency despite it's size and relative isolation. Germany being a nation that outwardly claims to weep it's fascist past and bans incoming material for content related reasons, while at the same time producing junk like Death Metal with the dying screams of holocaust victims interwoven with the music and/or added subliminally.

I guess I'm rambling, but basically I would head out there and find the most extreme product you can that australia produced. Be it a movie, video game, music, music-video, or whatever else (I'm no expert on the Australian media) and then use the approval of THAT product as a point of comparison.

The problem with using something like "Planet Terror" as an example is because to the best of my knowlege it wasn't produced in Australia. It can always be claimed that material like that is *WHY* they started paying attention and regulating to begin with.

Frankly though I don't know as much about Australia as I do the US and Canada ( ;) ) but I tend to agree they have been getting out of control.

*I* am most upset with Australia because they got in Bethesda's face over drug use in the game. Apparently the animations of the character actually injecting themselves with stims and such being considered "too intense" or "advocating the drug culture" or whatever. The names of real drugs (like Morphine) which were present in the game were also removed, albeit they just went back to the older drug names Fallout had been using.

Inverse Skies

Feb 3, 2009
Reaperman Wompa said:
That's the point. Parents and the public in general want to see these things happening (things being "made an example of"), and the government is usually filled with uptight people. This combines to make it so that everytime something comes against these people's image of a perfect Australia, or a real issue comes to the table they subvert it. If it was really their choice they would remove thousands of things from daily life, taking us back to that "Perfect family" lifestyle from the 50's. The only reason most of these "offensive" (bullshit) things are allowed is that the majority want them, so the government picks the small things that are just like the rest, but less popular, then ban them. It makes the government look like they are making things better while in actuality shit all is being done.
Wow. You might have well been describing the latest round of 'economic stimulus' handouts the Rudd government is dishing out, when it should have been fairly obvious we were going to go into a recession no matter what money was thrown around. (and today it was revealed the world economy will shrink by 1% in 09, a huge number when one considers how much money there is in the world). It's a sad state of affairs when token efforts like this (which appeal to a lot of people, because they're getting cash for nothing) are seen as alright when in actual fact nothing good will come out of it.

Me I'm going to stash my 900 in the bank and forget about it. It's nice to have, but it's not going to do anything for the shrinking economy.

Peach_hat

Jan 7, 2009
Inverse Skies said:
This time 'family groups' are assaulting HDO because of the amount of 'sexually aggressive violence and aggressively violent language' which (SHOCK!) appears in a game released only on the Wii, a console seen as more of a family family-freindly console and obviously beneath such brutal violence and swearing.
Yeah, that is all that's happening.
I bought it a week ago.

I think it gets mad props this [http://www.news.com.au/technology/story/0,28348,25205417-5014239,00.html] though.

Piotr621

Jan 6, 2009
Why is it that Austrlia overreacts so much and the board wants to condemn all the decent games when it is not their role to ban the game in the country?!?!? It is their job to analyse the game/movie in question and give it a rating so that those who wish to buy it will now whether or not its a game appropriate. Why should gamers be punished when it is stupid parents who allow lil' Timmy to play Grand Theft Auto?

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
You mean "the Australian Government." There are plenty of Aussies who will be buying bootlegs of that game on eBay.

Reaperman Wompa

Aug 6, 2008
Inverse Skies said:
Reaperman Wompa said:
Wow. You might have well been describing the latest round of 'economic stimulus' handouts the Rudd government is dishing out, when it should have been fairly obvious we were going to go into a recession no matter what money was thrown around. (and today it was revealed the world economy will shrink by 1% in 09, a huge number when one considers how much money there is in the world). It's a sad state of affairs when token efforts like this (which appeal to a lot of people, because they're getting cash for nothing) are seen as alright when in actual fact nothing good will come out of it.

Me I'm going to stash my 900 in the bank and forget about it. It's nice to have, but it's not going to do anything for the shrinking economy.
You've hit on the exact basis of what seems like our entire government. From Censorship to bloody traffic laws, we are left to look at the left hand doing a magic trick while the right falls off. Things fuck up, and the government hides it with useless and ridiculous laws and bans. Just to spite them I have a gift for the Escapist:
MEANT AS A JOKE, KEEP CALM
Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck.

That's the word that has attracted so much attention 199 times. I hope the government can understand my opinion on censorship now.

Not Good

Sep 17, 2008
Now that you mention it, why is it that Yahtzee was able to get his greedy little fingers on the game if it's banned?

Did he go to GAMETRADERS ROBINA?

If what your saying is true, that Aussies don't like satire, they must hate Stewart and Colbert. Additionally it seems like you've got yourself a PMRC-esque problem.

Inverse Skies

Feb 3, 2009
Reaperman Wompa said:
You've hit on the exact basis of what seems like our entire government. From Censorship to bloody traffic laws, we are left to look at the left hand doing a magic trick while the right falls off. Things fuck up, and the government hides it with useless and ridiculous laws and bans. Just to spite them I have a gift for the Escapist:
MEANT AS A JOKE, KEEP CALM
Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck, Fuck.

That's the word that has attracted so much attention 199 times. I hope the government can understand my opinion on censorship now.
Lol, thats a rather amusing little post. Good to see you agree on the stupidity of our government sometimes.

Endangered Puma

Dec 22, 2008
In all honesty was anyone really interested in playing a sub-par M rated game on the Wii anyways? I don't blame politions that much, I blame moms.

Moms see there 11year old hear a cuss or a zombie exploding and they think it's the worst possible thing. Then they set up petitions, rallys, the PTA, and whine to the government to make the bad things go away. Now the Politions who need the votes and could careless about video games are obviously going to outlaw it. Overcensorship of children only make them that much less prepared once they get in the real world. So to be honest, a good parent 'will' let there kid play some M games, although within reason though. For those who are offended I really do think a lot more games need setting to block out gore or profanity.

I just want to say though, playing M rated games at 6years old is all the funnier when done illegally.

MrJuicy

Mar 18, 2009
Not Good said:
Did he go to GAMETRADERS ROBINA?
I go to gametraders robina, gonna see if they have this game tomorrow, oh and if this gets your goat lets not mention the governments attempts to filter our internet...

JCTiger

Mar 20, 2009
What really irks me is when there actually will be a mob of swarming zombies attacking the land we so love, and only the over 20 somethings will be able to adequately break into gun stores and defend the nation. Anyone younger than this will not have been exposed to enough zombie-related material to know that the weak spot is the brain.

So in effect, these soccer-mums and politicians are actually dooming us all